• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Whats your R100 getting for mileage?

my '95 R100 GSPD

consistently gets 36MPG no matter how much crap i put on it, or how hard i twist the throttle.

1977 R100/7 w/ 76,000 miles. stock size Avon Roadrider tires, w/o windshield 38-39 mpg, regardless of how it was ridden, then i just added a Parabelleum windshied and it now gets 44 mpg each tank at mostly cruising speeds in the 3500 to 4500 rpm range. The other day on a trip I was riding into a headwind, a crazy strong headwind, I noticed alot of windsurfers on the river...my mileage dropped to 28 mpg, wow. As soon as I was out of the wind, back to 44 mpg.

78 R100/7, stock w/32mm flat tops, Luftmeister fairing...38 to 43 mpg on the average around town and short trips. On the open road it's much improved in the mid to high 40's. Hard to be efficient pushing a billboard across the United States.

Bags?

Since my "other car" is a bike, and my "other bike" is a bike, everyday practicality reigns, and I run with bags almost 100% of the time.
Based on seat-of-pants observation, throttle opening is less when I do run without bags. This becomes most obvious in the frequent winds here.

Has anyone experimented with this?
Is your stated mileage here with or without bags?

I am getting between 36 to 40mpg(mixed use) on my '91 R100GS - Euro version. Recent new rings and guides 2500mi ago... hoping the mileage gets better with full work in./QUOTE]

This is with Stock BMW bags, stock fairing, 200# rider.

r100 mileage

For more gas mileage, the past issues of ON magazine, you could get a tranny kit to install .1st gear and 5th gears are changed higher bottom and lower top gear almost like an overdrive gear, lowers rpm for cruising.

Thanks Guys and

Just to let you know. I got hooked up at Airhead Central when I got to Redmond.

New Floats, Float Needle, Needle Jet and Jet Needle, from the nice lady at the bing booth.

Had the bags off and went to the gas station, 40 Mi loop and filled it again.

47.4 MPG. a gain of 15 MPG.:wow

1994 r100 gs

I on average get 44 ...using a sigma bike odo which for the value is the ticket takes a bit to get it calibrated

1977 r100rs

Just turned 482,200 miles

I use 87 Regular fuel.

Mileage, I don't realy know when it's empty I put more gas in?????

Ooops, I used another tank!

:brow

Darryl, sounds like your bike uses alot of gas!

Are you sure that's normal?

:scratch

Lets see...

482,400 miles

divided by roughly 200 miles per tank

equals 2412 tanks of gas.

At todays prices of $1.00 per liter

24 liters per tank

equals $57,888 Canadian

Wow, I sure would like that money now!

R100/7 I get 125 miles to reserve normal( for me heavy T hand). 10mph over on Highway I get about 40mpg no fairing, but I usualy want to stop before then and take a break. But its so little compared to my 13mpg truck I could care less....

R100/7 I get 125 miles to reserve normal( for me heavy T hand).

Wow, that is pretty heavy on the throttle...unless you have unusually tall main straws in your tank. On my /7, I get about 40mpg around town and I usually get 180-190 before I need to go to reserve.

Another R100/7'78:)

Bought mine new in Feb.'78. 39-40mpg's always, running the freeways at 70-75mph. Bags always on the bike, with a Scout fairing by Parabellum for the last 200000+ miles. She's at 370000m now. The mileage increases when sightseeing around parks and the like at slower speeds, to around 44-45mpg's. This bike is still all original in the motor, no new heads or anything, except larger pistons at 104000m on the odometer a longgggg time ago. Today, the engine still pumps 135-140lbs in the holes:). Valve guides are tired though and puff a little smoke occasionally. Only tried regular gas a few times and had no issues, but ussually use middle grades 89 octane. The last time in Canada,2006, pulled into a gas stop in Ontario. They had nothing but regular? I filled up anyways, no issues. Randy

Back