• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Reference books and Number Identifications

O_gur

Was just hoping some one could give me a little help on finding the literature
and required manuals for Identifing vintage BMW equipment.

Any and all feed back is much needed and appreciated.
I think of everything I have collected the newest in the lot would be around mid to late sixties some of it is NOS and help with finding the proper manuals and people to talk to about it the identification process would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any and all help

Attachments

• bmw6.jpg
    bmw6.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 60
Thanks man, But that particular bike is just one of many I have accquired
I just threw that picture in to jazz up my post a bit. I have around 50 BMW motorcycles and am just trying to catalog all the parts and pecies and
designate what they are as it is all mostly WWll era stuff I beleive the newest thing in it is about a 67 model I am trying to learn as much about them as humanly possible!

But thank you very much as feed back such as yours is what I need!

Attachments

• bmw9.jpg
    bmw9.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 57
What a magnificent pile of parts.Are you going to build the bikes or distribute the parts to needy enthusiasts? BTW, those fenders in the second picture look like 70's vintage. Are they fiberglass?

woodnsteel said:
What a magnificent pile of parts.Are you going to build the bikes or distribute the parts to needy enthusiasts? BTW, those fenders in the second picture look like 70's vintage. Are they fiberglass?

No Kidding!! I hope that one day these parts will become functioning bikes again!! :clap :thumb
Good luck with your efforts in learning about these bikes as there are a lot of pieces to the puzzle.

Bean, thanks for letting me know I'm not alone. My non-moto friends are doubting my sanity after buying a garage full of MotoGuzzi parts closely on the heels of several Ducati singles. Now I can say I ONLY have 17 bikes! :clap
Here's a valuable resource: Duane's Pages
I also have a list of all the Models and serial numbers somewhere, but I think that bookmark is on the home computer. I'll try to post later.

Thanks guys, my main goal is to restore several of them one at a time.
But many pecies I will make available for sale once I have cataloged and inventoried all of the peices. Right now unfortunantly, I will be sitting on the bulk of them till I have them alll properly stored,inventoried and better accounted for. But no worries folks as the people who tender me helpfull information now will not be forgotten about!!! Hopefully by mid summer of this year we will be setup and ready to move it out to needed beemer lovers!

Probably the most useful book I've found for BMW identification is the Illustrated BMW Motorcycle Guide (1st or 2nd Edition) by Knittel and Slabon. There's a new version out by a different author, but it doesn't cover the vintage bikes very well. For a lot of the bikes you seem to have in there, you might look for How to Restore Your BMW Motorcycle: Twins 1950-1969, also by Slabon. Lots of detailed pictures and year to year information.

Needless to say, both of these books are out of print, but they come up on eBay.

You'll find lots of information at the various links on the Vintage BMW Motorcycle Owners web page, http://www.vintagebmw.org

There are lots of resources out on the internet for these bikes. The slash2 mailing list at Yahoo! groups has lots of information and knowledgable people. http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/slash2/

Back