• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

In California all summer, going to San Francisco this weekend..

crazydrummerdude

advrider.com
Probably should have posted this a couple weeks ago, but I was busy riding.. I've now exhausted all the resaonably-close roads down here by L.A.

This weekend, I'm heading up to check out Alcatraz and maybe some other stuff up in S.F. Yeah, 4th of July weekend, I know.. but I'll be "in town" from the 2nd to the 5th.

If anyone wants to meet up between now and mid-August and ride, offer me a floor to sleep on, or a backyard to camp in, let me know!

..and/or if anyone knows of any local, hidden gems, let me know!

..and/or if anyone knows of any local, hidden gems, let me know!

No.

Well, ok. You can easily make a day or two of riding around on the north peninsula, and then another in the Santa Cruz mountains. The latter is easier to describe: look on Google maps at CA-35 between CA-92 and CA-17. Now, look at nearly any road that splits off from there, and try it out.

I'd ride with you, but I'm out of town for another couple weeks... maybe after the Rally?

have any pix posted from the trip, Nathan?

I got to spend 4th of July in San Fran in 2002 or 03.

have any pix posted from the trip, Nathan?

None posted yet, but tons taken. I'll share them on here when I get back to Missouri in August.

I've really flogged the R75 since getting here. The worst experience so far (for me and the bike) was going out to Burro Schmidt tunnel.. the sand was so deep that when I got stuck (about 10 times), I was able to get off the bike and it would stay vertical with no side/center stand. I could really smell my clutch by the end of that escapade.. and I only have ~3,000 miles on it.. :bluduh

right on, till August!

I spent 3 months on the road last summer and it was tough heading home back east.
I'll do it again in a heartbeat.

How much gear is strapped down on the bike? You have places to stay or roughing it, a little of both?

Have fun man, enjoy the road and the things you stumble across. You couldn't be in a better station of life.

Unrelated and mostly random:

1. From SF, head up north on Hwy 1. When you reach Stewarts Point, turn right on Skaggs Spring Road. Stop and watch the idiots on the bridge.
2. From SF, head down toward San Jose, (680 sux) and find Mt. Hamilton. Take 130 over the Mt. Hamilton Observatory, and down the other side into San Antone Valley. Choose to go up towards Livermore, or my favorite - east to Patterson.
3. Take in the view from the top of Mt. Diablo. Not a great ride (touristy) but nice view.
4. google map Hiway 1 south of SF, look for 35, 84, anything that runs east-wst between the coast and the next NorthSouth chunk of slab.
5. From SF, go north across GG Bridge, immediately go left (west) up to the WW2 Batteries. Nice view of the City. Then head where north on 1, look for Nicasio, near Olema. Find the bar with the fine looking Girl Butts as sinks. You wont' be the only one wearing a helmet there...

Like I said, random.

How much gear is strapped down on the bike? You have places to stay or roughing it, a little of both?

I'm here for an internship, so I have an apartment, but I get every other Friday off.. and every day of every weekend so far has been spent riding.. and some weeknights, too.

If I get off at 6pm, I can do a 150 mile loop in the mountains before dark.

immediately go left (west) up to the WW2 Batteries.

Yes! That's what I'm talkin' about.

Mt Tam/Muir woods. Route map at the bottom of http://mwr.snafu.org/2009/1029/

Skyline, out to Moss landing via back roads, then up the coast. Route map at the bottom of http://mwr.snafu.org/2009/0318/

North Bay: Cacadero, King Ridge, Tin Barn, and into the above mentioned Skaggs Spring road. Route map at the bottom of http://mwr.snafu.org/2009/0305/

South Bay reservoir ride. Route map at the bottom of http://mwr.snafu.org/2009/0115/

Marin, Sonoma, Napa county back roads. http://mwr.snafu.org/2009/0107/

Big Sur and back. http://mwr.snafu.org/2008/0723/

Santa Cruz Mts and the coast. The closed road that caused us to loop back is now open. http://mwr.snafu.org/2008/1022/

Have fun.

Sounds like you're not going to have time to get this far north (I'm still 65mi North of Frisco.) but we have some great roads up here if you get the chance. :thumb

Do you still have my card?

Rt 1 north from SLO into Monterey is a must. At Cayucos, just past Morro Bay, turn rt and head up Old Creek Road, assuming you like twisties. Once you get to the top of Old Creek at the 46, you can go straight across to Santa Rosa Creek Road, an old, very twisty, challenging little road that will put you into the sleepy little town of Cambria. Get a bit to eat, stay at the Blue Bird, but make reservations if you want to stay in a hotel as they fill up fast. If you don't want to beat yourself up on Santa Rosa Creek, turn left on the 46 which will take you back to the 1.

North of Cambria is the Naciamento road that winds through the mountain and you end up at the 101. It's along detour, so just keep heading up the 1 through Big Sur. Lunch/Dinner at Fernwood is always a good bet.

Oh yeah, stopping in san Simeon on the 1 to see the Elephant Seals is worth it. You'll see the sign.

Ride safe!!

Sounds like you're not going to have time to get this far north (I'm still 65mi North of Frisco.) but we have some great roads up here if you get the chance. :thumb

Do you still have my card?

I'm going to slab it up to SF tonight and tomorrow morning. The only thing on my agenda is a tour of Alcatraz tomorrow afternoon.

Otherwise, I'm free until... Tuesday morning, technically.

I think I'm going to go up to Humboldt and Hwy 36 as the Northwest portion of my loop.. but I'm still in planning-phase.

...and I'm off!

If ya miss me this weekend, I'll still be around CA a while. PM me for my digits if you want to meet up (ride, bs, whatever) next time.

The lake has been much less crowded than in years past. A benefit of the recession, I suppose. This is my backyard, and I used to stay away from it between Memorial and Labor day.

I'm thinkin' Friday in Yosemite, Saturday messing around up to Lake Tahoe and Sunday riding back. Gotta get a route planned, I suppose.. If you have any suggestions and/or want to meet up; I'm down.

Oh yeah, I did two trips to San Fran. Second one was a 800 mile loop.

Another 1000 miles down.

Unfortunately, the clouds were hangin' too low and scraped across the mountains, emptying their contents all along my ride; north of Bodie all the way to Lake Tahoe and from Lake Tahoe all the way down past Bishop. Stoimin'/rainin'/frownin'.

There was a (small) rockslide on the road next to Mono Lake.. instead of just driving around it (there was NO on-coming traffic), the lead car in the pack I was approaching slammed on their brakes and stopped completely in the road. At this point, I was ignorant of the rockslide. The road was a river at this point, and I hit my brakes hard, but not that hard.. and there goes the rear end. The back tire wanted to catch up with the front by coming around my left side; here's the wind-up and the pitch.. didn't happen. Right as it caught traction again the bike snapped into a wicked shimmy that I had to dance on top of to control. It was all over in about 1.5 seconds. Thank God for my following distance. I stopped with space to spare. Pulled over at the next gas station where some Harley riders were taking a break and we laughed about the "pucker factor."

Made it home in one piece; to ride again..

Think I'm going to go to the Pleasanton airhead tech day next weekend..

It's a good event. I've been at Dale's for the first three, and I'm planning on attending this years. PM me if you need any directions or need advice on where to get parts if you need to do some maintenance (e.g. oil change, etc.).

P.S. If you haven't hit Marin and Sonoma Counties (North of San Francisco along the coast) yet, you should. There's great roads up there.

Back