• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

MapQuest custom route to 2730

R

RSPENNACHIO

I made my custom routes in MapQuest and sucsessfully (I thought) sent them to my 2730. Last night I went out to test them. This is my first time trying to create a custom route.

My first custom route was just a ride around the neighbor hood with about 8 turns. The start and end points were correct but the route showed up as a straight line which would have essentially taken my off road through my neighbors yards!

My second test was the planned route from home to TN. Same thing, a straight line from MI to TN. This would be good if I were a bird but...

Does anyone have a solution?

I made my custom routes in MapQuest and sucsessfully (I thought) sent them to my 2730. Last night I went out to test them. This is my first time trying to create a custom route.

My first custom route was just a ride around the neighbor hood with about 8 turns. The start and end points were correct but the route showed up as a straight line which would have essentially taken my off road through my neighbors yards!

My second test was the planned route from home to TN. Same thing, a straight line from MI to TN. This would be good if I were a bird but...

Does anyone have a solution?

Not a MapQuest solution but .......

I just did it using Google Maps. Converted it to a GPX file, used Map Source to then create a route using the GPX file and recalculated it in Map Source and then sent it to the 2730. When I navigated the route in the 2730, it asked if I wanted to re-calculate the route and I said yes.

It isn't easy but it is possible.

There should be a command to "Recalculate" in Mapquest. I haven't used Mapquest in a while since Garmin made the Mac equivalent, but it's most likely a pull down menu in your route properties. On the Mac version it's a pull down when you have the Via points selectd.

Not familiar with the 2730, but there may be a "Recalculate" on it as well.

Bud and RTR, thanks. I've got it now. I did not realize that Mapsource already does this. I thought the Mapsource disk was only used for loading new maps to the unit :dunno. What can I say I am new around here.

The good news is that now I can create and send custom routes to my GPS via Mapsource. I made a little test run last night. It was a success! Mapsource is a little cumbersome and very mechanical but it works. So even though I am moving a turtle speed, I am moving!

Later today I'll try running my MapQuest routes through Mapsource. Most people prefer google but for now I am comfortable with MQ.

Thanks.

Bud and RTR, thanks. I've got it now. I did not realize that Mapsource already does this. I thought the Mapsource disk was only used for loading new maps to the unit :dunno. What can I say I am new around here.

The good news is that now I can create and send custom routes to my GPS via Mapsource. I made a little test run last night. It was a success! Mapsource is a little cumbersome and very mechanical but it works. So even though I am moving a turtle speed, I am moving!

Later today I'll try running my MapQuest routes through Mapsource. Most people prefer google but for now I am comfortable with MQ.

Thanks.

Glad to hear that it worked out for you.

I would love a one click app that would take the Google route, convert it and load it on my Garmin. But that's just me dreaming. :whistle

A few dats later...

Mapsource does work pretty good for creating your own routes however the search/find feature gets a D+. I like the Mapsource routing because it allows me to pick my roads where Mapquest keeps trying to get me there faster or shorter. It's like I am constantly try to work around MapQuest logic.

A few days ago I sent a note to Garmin asking for help. The reply came today. She said, "please log in to your myGarmin account and download the replacement map you are prompted to."

I'll let you all know what I get and how it works (if it does).

If the Mapsource find feature wasn't so cumbersome, Mapsource would be pretty good. Maybe the latest versions of Mapsource addressed this.

{sinp}..The start and end points were correct but the route showed up as a straight line which would have essentially taken my off road through my neighbors yards!...{snip}

Well, as long as you have a GS/GSA, no problem!

But seriously, I assume you have installed the Garmin Communicator browser plug-in and are using the MapQuest "Send" option to send to the GPS. Take a look at the send to GPS screen and note that you can send the data as a "Route" or as "Waypoints". These will produce two different results on my Garmin Nuvi 550. I need to send using the "Route" format to avoid the "crow-flies" routing. This may be the issue you are experiencing as well.

Did you download as a "Route" or as "Waypoints"? Do the different formats yield a different result on your Garmin?

Thanks guys as this is real informative. As I read through the posts now I really realize when I can finally pick out a unit that will work for me I'm going to have another "Holy Crap" moment. :scratch

Last edited:
Did you download as a "Route" or as "Waypoints"? Do the different formats yield a different result on your Garmin?

I don't remember now, but the nice Garmin lady told me to log into my myGarmin account where an update to my "City Navigator North America NT 2008, Deluxe All Regions, Apr 07 (993MB). " is waiting. The download is running now. Hopefully I'll be able to try it soon.

I'll pay attention to the route or waypoints and get back to you.

I am not sure as I didn't check what version I had prior to the download but that didn't help. I regestered the unit about a month or so ago and I can't believe that an update for that map was not avaiable then... When I did the regestration it verified that everthing was current.

I'll keep working at this pet project or maybe I won't :banghead. We'll see how I feel in a few days.

Back