• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

new bike advice?

Greetings to every one. I am about to pick up my brand new, red K1300GT. And I'm soooo excited. Does any one have any information that I need to know? What must I watch out for? etc.

Thanks!:newtoy :ca

Congratulations

Welcome to the forum I'm sure you'll find a lot of useful info here along with some rants.

Welcome - best bike and fastest color - great choice!

I am assuming that the dealer would have done all the earlier recalls prior to delivery.

Check to make sure that you have the latest switch gear (left and right), you have the front brake reservoir anti-foaming sponge installed and that the bike has the software updated to address the stalling issue.

After that - keep her full of gas and ride the wheels off of it.

When you get the bike - post a picture .

Congratulations by the way :thumb

Welcome - best bike and fastest color - great choice!

I am assuming that the dealer would have done all the earlier recalls prior to delivery.

Check to make sure that you have the latest switch gear (left and right), you have the front brake reservoir anti-foaming sponge installed and that the bike has the software updated to address the stalling issue.

After that - keep her full of gas and ride the wheels off of it.

When you get the bike - post a picture .

Congratulations by the way :thumb

Thanks! Do you know if the 2010's still need to be checked for all of this, or would they be up to speed from the factory? This one is a 2010, although I don't yet have it so I can't tell you the manufacture date.

I assume it would be up to date,but you know what the word assumes mean.

For sure the dealer would know.

I did omit another item to check for, and it may not pertain to the'10 model and that is on some KGT's (based on VIN) there is a recall for the locks on the panniers.

I brought mine in and it was not affected.

Luis

:ca:roflGot it! The build date is April, 2010. I was told that all of the recalls were included in the build, so I will wait and see.

Attachments

• DSCN0064.jpg
    DSCN0064.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 229
You can devote a part of your living room for it to rest when not on the road!
:heart

first service!

Took my new mount to the dealer for its first "required" service. When I picked it up, and they gave me the bill, I nearly had a heart attack!! They changed the oil and filter, the transmission oil and the final drive oil. With labor and sales tax the bill was $347.

I told the service writer that this was a bit excessive for a job which shouldn't take more than 45 minutes. No sympathy! So I have now taken it in twice!! The first time and the last time!!

Took my new mount to the dealer for its first "required" service. When I picked it up, and they gave me the bill, I nearly had a heart attack!! They changed the oil and filter, the transmission oil and the final drive oil. With labor and sales tax the bill was $347.

I told the service writer that this was a bit excessive for a job which shouldn't take more than 45 minutes. No sympathy! So I have now taken it in twice!! The first time and the last time!!

hankhoward, what is your location?

$347.00 is a tad high, but in order to keep your warranty valid you must follow the schedule, either at the dealer or on your own....so keep all receipts if you DIY.

BTW love the color, looks fast standing still.

I still find it strange that the only chrome is the exhaust, I changed mine out to a carbon fibre can from Leo Vince.:clap

It's the HST that got you....;)

Oil changes are a bit tricky on the new K-Series but can be done with the proper tools and a good set of instructions. If you only do those you'll save yourself a ton of money over the next few years.

cbcK1200S - Colin
//////////// =o&o>

Hank - here is the LINK FOR THE DIY FORUM, which covers how to do those exact services yourself.

Also they should not have charged you for a transmission oil change as the bike does not get one since it is a wet clutch design :brow

Regards,

Luis

Thanks for that. In fact, about a century ago, I was a practising M/C mechanic. Here in Ontario it is a government licensed trade and I have a journeyman's license. That is part of what upset me so much. That, and the phone call I received about 1 1/2 hours after dropping off the bike, when they told me that it was ready. The service writer had no idea that I am fully conversant with the mechanics of the bike and told me what they did from a list written in her manual.

It has taken me many years to learn the self-control that I exercised that day (I didn't lose it!!) and I merely said that the charge is much too high and that they should examine how it was calculated. It is a combined auto and M/C dealership, so they feel it is no problem to overcharge their well-to-do clients. They really do not understand the motorcycle business and evidently are not interested to learn.

As I said, they will not see me again unless it is for a warranty issue!

Back