• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

master brake cylinder conversion

R

rocketman

I'm looking to replace the under tank reservoir to a handle-bar mounted one for my 78 R100 and found one on bmwriderparts but the assembly doesnÔÇÖt seem to come with the switch gear and I was wondering if the stock one from the the under-tank handlebar grip unit would fit the handle-bar mounted handlebar unit.

Anyone know off hand? Also if I did this whatÔÇÖs the length of a replacement fluid line if I go directly from the reservoir to the brake coupling, since IÔÇÖve only got the single disc I donÔÇÖt have the splitter as on the twin brake units so it would be a single run. I want to use braded line not the rubber. Can those be cut to length and coupling attached or do I need to by the line assembled?

Here is a pic of the unit I'm looking at, anyone delt with this company before?

128572.jpg

Thanks

RM

Yes, the kill switch, starter switch, etc. unit will fit perfectly to the new handlebar/master cylinder unit. (I have '78 switches on my '84)

Your biggest electrical problem will be coming up with a wiring solution for the brake light switch.

Cool, thanks, the brake light switch should be easy, I'll just put some snap connectors on the both ends of the new wires (coming from the handlebar) and old wires (coming from the old switch) or connect the new one inside the bucket if there are terminals for them in there(?).

RM

I'm doing the same think in reverse. I put '83 master cylinder, throttle and switch controls on a '78 R100RS. I haven't finished wiring yet, but i do not see a problem.

Make sure you get the control for an 85-95. These use dual cables vs. the single cable unit on 81-84.

Whats wrong with the single cable? The splitter system works pretty well as long as you replace the splitter every 20 years or so.

Make sure you get the control for an 85-95. These use dual cables vs. the single cable unit on 81-84.

Hmmm, hadn't considered that, they list two assmeblys for two differant prices, I wonder if that is why? one is $329 and the other is $290 both shown as fitting the R 100 T 78 year. I was going to call anyways so I'll ask. I guess I could go with the single and get new cables but all my spares are for the dual cable setup so...

thanks

RM

Back