• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1100GS-Up and Died-Help?

mypetersahn

MyPetersahn
OK gang, looking for some collective wisdom here:

My best (and not so good with computers) buddy just picked up a very clean and meticulously cared for 1998 R1100GS, with about 30K on the clock. The previous owner had cared for this machine very well and had farkled it nicely as well.

SO--my bud takes the thing out for a spin for maybe the 4th or 5th (in the past few weeks) time this past weekend (this is in E. TN, so its pretty hot-as it is throughout the SE), after being on the bike for maybe 20-30 minutes, he says it just dies. He can't get it started and still hasn't been able to. He has fuel. All the switched were on (nothing bumped). He did say the cylinders are getting fire.

I'm about 200 miles away (and by no means a mechanical genius), he is not familiar with the oilheads, but has worked on his R65 a bit. He is has moderate + mechanical ability.

What might be the first few things he should check, again, remembering he's only had this thing a week or two and isn't familiar with the oilhead electrics, computer, etc. He did call the previous owner (local) who had not had this sort of problem--although the bike hasn't been ridden much in a bit. I am thinking its not bad gas, but I guess it could be? Fuse?

Have at it. . . and thanks in advance!

Also--no warning lights, nothing unusual in the way it was running, just stopped.

Any more details needed and I'll have to relay once I get him on the phone.

A bike of that vintage with those symptoms always leads me to think hall effect sensor, aka the crank position sensor. It's on the front of the engine, behind the lower alternator pulley. The insulation on the wires become brittle over time and eventually brings you to a dead stop. Another good indication is the the tach will bounce up and down as you try to start it.

Told him to check the sidestand switch too. . .

He said it still wouldn't start after it had cooled down (or the next day). He's going to check to see if the tach is bouncing as described.

Thanks for the help so far.

Do a Oilhead Forum search on "Hall Sensor" and read some of the many trouble shooting posts there for answers on R1100 sudden death syndrome...

Back