• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Bluetooth headset for BMW System 5 helmet

mervingry

Recently purchased a Zumo 660 and BMW System 5 helmet.

I'm looking for suggestons for a wireless headset (preferably a unit that fits entirely in the helmet) that would enable me to: (1) hear the GPS navigation instructions, (2) listen to music loaded onto the GPS's MP3 plyer, and (3) answer the phone (a Blackberry).

I have no need for intercom capabilities since I don't carry passengers or need to communicate with other riders.

Recently purchased a Zumo 660 and BMW System 5 helmet.

I'm looking for suggestons for a wireless headset (preferably a unit that fits entirely in the helmet) that would enable me to: (1) hear the GPS navigation instructions, (2) listen to music loaded onto the GPS's MP3 plyer, and (3) answer the phone (a Blackberry).

I have no need for intercom capabilities since I don't carry passengers or need to communicate with other riders.
I have a Schuberth Concept 3 (a successor to the BMW System 5), a Zumo 660 and an iPhone 3GS. I use a Scala G4 BlueTooth for your (1), (2) and (3), plus bike-to-bike intercom. I've only had it for a week or so, but so far I'm pretty pleased with the stereo Bluetooth performance and battery life, and I'm told the audio with the phone is good quality. It's not a set of reference headphones, but it gets the job done.

The G4 is not mounted inside the helmet -- it has a base which clamps on the left side bottom edge.

One suggestion for set-up: Pair your phone with the 660, then pair the 660 to the G4. While that requires the GPS to always be present when you ride (not an issue for me, as the 660 always shuffles between the RT I'm riding that day (R12RT or R100RT)), it's the best way to be able to handle calls with minimum fuss -- the GPS becomes the primary user interface with the phone.

Sena

Recently purchased a Sena unit. Mounts on the side of the helmet. I don't have a blue tooth GPS but it worked fine with my iPhone. Tried a call. Worked ok but could not hear the caller at highway speed but they could hear me (worked fine at slower speed). It has the nice option of directly connecting an MP3. Worked fine with my iPod. Check out the Web Bike World review.

Chatterbox

Just started using the Chatter box brand and it seems to work great. The visor will have to be shut when talking or the wind noise is wicked. It also has priority built in so phone calls will mute the music. This one does have person to person capabilities and I have walked 100 ft from my wife so far and hear her perfectly.

Back