• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

California Motorcycle Smog Check bill in the works

jstrube

John.
I'm going to spam this to a couple boards, as it is important for our hobby. Mods delete if you think it is overposted.

The wizards that run the fairytale land known as California are at it again. SB 435 is in the works. I've just called my Senator and suggest you all do too. This stuff always starts "small". Guess they vote on it today so I dunno if any action is moot.

Basically, any bike made from 2000 on will now need to be smogged just like a car. Any mods need to be removed and put back to stock. Just insane.

An article on the bill: http://www.examiner.com/x-17351-Sacramen....k-bill-Its-back

Here's the bill, its short: http://www.parks.ca.gov/pages/1140/files/sb 435.pdf

Here's how to respond: http://www.abatelocal36.com/images/SB435.pdf

Just having to check each bike would be cost & hassle we don't need, for minimal gain. This isn't a loud pipes issue, only affecting a segment of our hobby, this will affect all California riders eventually, as it could be expanded.

While I agree it is incredible to introduce a bill with a ten year retroactive effect, I am one that does not mind the 'intended' benefits to air quality. As I read it, the other item specifically noted in the bill is that All motorvehicles 6 or less years old are exempt, as are specified classes of very low polluting vehicles - hybrids, CNG, etc. So, if I read it right, the only motorcycles that would be affected are road bikes manufactured from 2000 to 2003, a retroactive 'penalty'. Much depends upon the regulations that regulators come up with, which must be done in the open with public review, then run through the Administrative Procedures Act gauntlet (maybe easy for them, but not for me with stuff I do helping local agencies understand what they need to do to comply with existing laws to build highways for the State......). So, I view it as a mixed bag....no way am I even able to put my 2000 K1200RS back to stock condition with the cam gears I replaced and probably tossed along with the stock chip....but then again, how would the suspect, and maybe it will pass whatever regs are determined? My non-hybrid cars all were at only 10% of allowable pollutants when tested. I would think the aftermarket exhaust companies would be really hitting this as they did last time. There is no money in it for the State coffers, and will actually kill companies and put people out of work, so it might not have a bright future 'this year'...something to watch, though. I am contacting my legislator. Thanks for the heads up.

I am 100% for air quality, but let's go after big gains. A motorcycle that runs 3000 miles a year polutes far less than say, a farmer's diesel pump, or ag burning (which KILLS my sinus system), or even... The small engines they use to power up warning signs or the "smog sniffer" that has been posted on California on ramps...

>All motorvehicles 6 or less years old are exempt,

I think that means once a bike is 7 years old, it has to be tested. Not that it only applies to years 2000 to 2003. That is how it works for cars here in CA.

Scott

Back