• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Leaking Gas Tank

mrmoose55

I picked up my "new" (14,000 miles) 2002 rt yesterday, rode it home about 90 miles and when I got home I could smell gas. It turned out that I have a bad leak somewhere under all of the fairings. Does anyone know of a mechanic in the Bay City, MI area who could take a look at it? I don't have the vaguest idea how to get all of the plastic off to attempt to repair it myself. This is my first motorcycle as well as my first BMW and I'm very frustrated.

Congrats on an awesome bike - you're going to love it, and welcome to the forum. There's tons of great info here.

There are many more knowledgeable folks than me on here and I'm sure you'll get some more responses, but to get you started . . . sorry, I'm in ME and don't have info on a MI mechanic, but the fairing isn't difficult to take off - just a bunch of screws. Most are the same length, but there are some longer ones - I usually just mark which holes those came out of with a piece of tape on the fairing. The scariest part of removing the fairing the first time is probably popping off the mirror to get at the screw behind it. The mirror assembly is mounted on three posts and literally just pulls off, but you kind of have to hit the top outside corner with the palm of your hand to pop the first post free. Don't worry, they don't break that easily and it will pop off.

Fuel lines run under the tank on the right side so if you take the right side fairing panel off you'll see them easily. It could be the quick disconnects leaking - it's been know to happen and many people have upgraded to better quality metal ones. If you take the panel off you should be able to see what's leaking. It's likely something very simple so don't panic, but not a good idea to ride it with a gas leak - wouldn't be good to have your new bike go up in flames!.

Good luck, I'm sure you get it sorted out soon and enjoy tens of thousands of trouble free miles after that.

most likely just a seal....

The filter and pump may have been just serviced and the gaskets may be misaligned or leaking.. the beemer guys know how to fix...

Should not be big deal..

jim

fuel smell

Two possibilities, as noted above:
Quick disconnects - any time these are taken apart and put back together they can damage the internal o-ring, because pushing them back together ain't easy... On a 2002 bike, this is the most likely possibility. The male side of the QD can also break. It is best to replace the male side with the metal replacement available from BMW or there are other sources (Beemerboneyard is good).
Big o-ring (gasket) around the fuel filter plate. If the filter was replaced recently, this gasket has been known to be installed incorrectly. Most people buy a new one, and allow the old one to 'relax' so it can be used next time they change the filter.
Both these are very minor inconveniences (although having a qd suddenly break while riding down the road may be more than 'minor'), but a major pita for a new owner.
I would suggest you post your question on www.BMWRT.com (also known as bmwsporttouring.com), and get someone nearby to help you fix the problem - there are a lot of RT owners available over there who would be willing to pop in to help you.
BTW - there are four long screws and 11 short screws on the 2002 RT. Three long screws go at the bottom of the fairing above the foot peg, and the fourth is hidden behind the mirror. The short ones are all apparent except the one at the very front of the fairing inside the oil cooler snout. Only the right mirror (smack the living snot out of it with your palm from the glass side, and it will pot off and go flying across the room) and right side of the fairing have to be removed. If you remove both sides of the fairing, you will probably have a tough time getting them to line back up on the gas tank, so until you are a little more confident and have to, remove only the right side at this time.

Can't get seat off

I've got the fairing loosened up but I can't get to the screws under the seat and I can't seem to get it off. I've tried a number of different key positions with no luck. I don't want to force it too much and ruin it.
Moose

To remove the rear seat sometimes it helps to push down a bit on the seat while turning the key. Usually it just 'pops' loose

Quick disconnect the culprit

I just wanted to let you know that you were correct. The quick disconnects on the upper fuel line were leaking very badly. I'm not sure if it was broken but I ordered new ones from Beemer Boneyard. Now I have to figure out how to install them but I am making progress and hope to have the bike back on the road by the middle of next week. Thanks for the help and good diagnoses.

Back