• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

'10 GS Engine Oil Leak after only 480 miles

tessler

univers zero
My brand new R1200 GS is hobbled after only 480 miles on the clock and I'm royally bummed trying to figure out what the problem is exactly.

I took a short but necessary trip on Friday to New Jersey and decided to take the bike. A relatively hot day (86??+ for this area, pretty warm for this time of Spring) there was an almost surreal amount of stop and go traffic in practically all the areas I needed to visit. The traffic on the last leg of my trip, heading back to NYC, was beyond aggravating, with a lot of stopping and crawling (I practically duckwalked a quarter mile to the entrance of the Lincoln Tunnel--there wasn't even room to sneakily lane-share) and I was aware of the heat coming from the right cylinder. Besides the heat, nothing seemed amiss (no alerts, oil indicator on OBC was "ok" and no smells or signs of smoke, etc). Believe me, I wanted nothing more than to get home, power down and give this baby some rest. A trip that should have taken me only a few hours had me finally crawling back to where I live, at around 6pm.

The next morning, after packing up for a day ride upstate, I turned the engine on only to be met with an off-sounding idle. However, (and judging from the look on the traffic cop's unfriendly face) I had to move from my street parking spot and get back to my apartment building, about a block away, where I could inspect the engine. Almost as soon as I started to move I realized from faint smoke that something was wrong but I was able to pull up to my house in a few minutes to take a look. There was a leak at the base of the left cylinder and dripping oil had been smoking on the left exhaust manifold. I inspected the oil glass. Very low. I added oil to the engine and turned it over. The leak was definitely coming from the rear side of the base of cylinder. About a drop every two, three seconds.

I called my dealer (MAX: Albany, NY) for advice. They need to inspect the engine. From my description of the problem, they told me that this was unprecedented in all '10 GS's, in their experience. But at over 160 miles north of me, and with the leak at the frequency I described, they advised in no uncertain terms that I not risk riding up. They'll send their bike van down here for a pickup this week. So the bike is parked and waiting.

Oddly, they claim that they'll have to charge me for the pickup. Does this seem right? I'm a little confused right now. I just bought the thing and as I mention in title of this thread, I have barely 500 miles on it. I'm new to oilhead ownership. Did stop and go urban traffic in hot weather, the day before, do me in or is it something else?

The dealer should not be charging you a dime for the pick up of your bike. Especially if you purchased the bike from that dealer. I would think that your BMW warranty would actually cover the pickup and return to your dealer. So Maybe your dealer was saying that if he picked it up, then you might be charged. But if you call BMW, they would handle the return of the bike.

That being said, with so few miles on the bike, I would expect the dealer to offer to pick up the bike and work out the cost with BMW.

Thanks for the replies thus far everyone and yes, VegasRob, first thing I contemplated was my local dealer, BMW of Manhattan. But my experiences, especially recently, tell me to go with my gut and go back to MAX. stkmkt1, I'll definitely bring this up with them. Thanks for your advice.

Its free:)

You bet you have no cost from anybody getting this bike back to a dealer. Its been done soooo many times over, by many many others with new bikes. Max BMW seems to have a good rep from what I've heard way out West where I live. Somebody there has their intentions mixed up, it seems. Good luck with the new bike. Randy:thumb

BMW roadside assistance may work differently in the U.S., but up here roadside assistance will transport your bike to the nearest dealer, not necessarily the one where you bought your bike. For example, while I live in Ottawa I bought my bike in Montreal. If I had a problem in Ottawa, they'd take me to the Ottawa dealer, not two hours east to Montreal. Also, I would not expect my selling dealer to drive two hours each way to come and pick me up when I can have BMW roadside assistance take me 10 miles down the road to my local dealer. I say this knowing that not all dealers are created equal.

I would call Max again... they came to Westchester to pick up my bike in April for its 600 mile service and didn't charge me a penny for pick-up and delivery. For something like the problem that you described with so few miles, they should definitely come pick it up.

Jonathan -- talk to Ben Stratton at MAX in Troy. His number in on their website.

Bike was picked up today... and this is me:

As bikeless as BubbaZanetti on a grey day...
Astronaut_Space_Walk_Free_Fly.jpg

We'll see what happens!

Fisrt inspection?

Does anybody know if the 2010 engine needs the heads to be retorque at the first inspection. My new 2010 gs has 900 km (1 week old). The book says that the first inspection should be between 500 and 1200 km. I've notice a very small leak at the base of the left cyclinder, just in front or my foot. Should I worry about it or should it be OK after the heads are retorque?

Does anybody know if the 2010 engine needs the heads to be retorque at the first inspection. My new 2010 gs has 900 km (1 week old). The book says that the first inspection should be between 500 and 1200 km. I've notice a very small leak at the base of the left cyclinder, just in front or my foot. Should I worry about it or should it be OK after the heads are retorque?

Any oil leak is something that needs to be addressed and corrected....Don't wait. Contact your dealer and get the repair done

Any oil leak is something that needs to be addressed and corrected....Don't wait. Contact your dealer and get the repair done

Dealer.....Hell.... contact BP they have the more experience with oil leaks than anyone else in the world....no matter how you measure it.

Does anybody know if the 2010 engine needs the heads to be retorque at the first inspection.QUOTE]

Yes, the heads are retorqued at the first factory service (600 miles). That and the valve adjustment are the most important things to have done at that point.

BMW roadside assistance may work differently in the U.S., but up here roadside assistance will transport your bike to the nearest dealer, not necessarily the one where you bought your bike. For example, while I live in Ottawa I bought my bike in Montreal. If I had a problem in Ottawa, they'd take me to the Ottawa dealer, not two hours east to Montreal. Also, I would not expect my selling dealer to drive two hours each way to come and pick me up when I can have BMW roadside assistance take me 10 miles down the road to my local dealer. I say this knowing that not all dealers are created equal.

I had my bike towed using roadside assistance bypassing the dealer right off the freeway 9 miles from my house, opting to go 30 miles. It wasn't an issue, the tow driver got paid by the mile, he didn't care where he was going. When I spoke with the operator I told her where I wanted to go. The guys in the shop helped the tow operator offload the bike (I went back to work).

Back