• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Luggage Rack on 49L top case.

RCHARVEY6712

Anyone happy with a luggage rack on top of their BMW 49L top case? I have a R1200RT, and that looks like it would be a handy spot to lash down some gear.

Any links?

I know there's a forum thread where we discussed mounting a GIVI luggage rack to the 49L top case but I can't find it. I remember seeing a photo of the top case with the GIVI rack mounted -- maybe K. Greenwald will jog my memory with a post....:)

The standard Harley tour pack luggage rack fits perfectly and doesn't look bad either.

Just be careful about what you hang on that spot. Bad location for a lot of weight.
It should be the last place loaded, if you do it.
Load in order and keep heaviest items closest to low and center of bike
1)Side cases
2)Passenger seat and/or tank bag
3)Top case
4)Top case rack

Just be careful about what you hang on that spot. Bad location for a lot of weight.
1)Side cases
3)Top case
4)Top case rack

My thoughts exactly. In fact my 40L top case is reserved for the likes of rain suit, bike cover, and a few extras for easy access. If not riding with a passenger I'd shoot for loading on top of the back seat. Any bag you put there will have an added benefit of a back rest though a learning curve getting your leg over.

1)Side cases
3)Top case
4)Top case rack

Excellent advice. That makes sense.

Does anyone have a better idea for packing additional gear when 2up?
My old bike had unpainted single layer side cases, so I installed bungee buddies and tied some small duffle bags to the top of the cases, which gave me all the capacity I needed, didn't interfere with the passenger and kept the weight low. When not using them, I just filled the holes with black RTV. On the 1200RT I'm a little reluctant to start drilling holes in those nicely painted double layer cases. I'm looking for something that will allow me to secure the duffels to the bike, resting on top of the cases, possibly using the hand rail mounting bolts. Any Ideas ?

Thanks
Bill

I know there's a forum thread where we discussed mounting a GIVI luggage rack to the 49L top case but I can't find it. I remember seeing a photo of the top case with the GIVI rack mounted -- maybe K. Greenwald will jog my memory with a post....:)

I have received an unusual number of inquiries about the racks that I have mounted atop my 28L and 49L BMW trunks after they've been spotted in our ON magazine or at rallies. Therefore, I slipped my 'standard response' that I have been e-maiing other members into this posting.

The E-81 luggage rack on top of my BMW 28L trunk was purchased through TwistedThrottle.com for $67.50. I have included the link below:

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/107

It is a GIVI and can also be mounted on the 49L BMW trunk (I have one mounted on both of mine).

Once you decide on a safe spot to drill the four holes (be careful – look inside where you can drill thru and still access the bolts for the washers/nuts), you will need to be creative in finding something to act as a sleeve to slip over the rear mounting bolts (rubber tubing?!), both to cover them cosmetically, and to stabilize/weatherproof the rack atop the trunk.

I purchased longer rear bolts at the hardware store to complete the install, but though I’m not the handiest guy in the world - it really wasn’t rocket science to securely mount them.

This rack is very handy, not only for long trips or for securing excess riding apparel when it gets too hot, but useful for everyday events such as strapping a couple of collapsible chairs for watching the fireworks or an air show.

The rack is so secure that I can mount my big BMW dry bag packed to the max on the rack - no problems, other than being aware of a higher center of gravity in turns and greater wind resistance.

As for pics, please refer to pages 68-69 of the May (2010) issue of BMW Owners News to see the rack mounted on my 28L trunk. :deal

Last edited:
BMW 49L Topcase rack

Don't do it! The BMW rack for the topcase probably can't support much more weight than advised to put in the topcase itself. If you buy an after market topcase such as GIVI or Hepco-Becker, they have redesigned the racks to support the weight differently. I have an H-B on my R1200ST and a rack on top of the case on which I lash lightweight sleeping bags or jackets or stuff like that.

Lisa

Givi rack

I have been planning to do this for some time. I just bought the Givi E81 (virtually identical to the Givi E107 Greenwald linked). I'm installing it this weekend. It definitely requires spacers to clear the seat rest padding. McMaster-Carr sells several options. Also need washers & grommets to seal the hole.

E81 rack: http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/107

I found a useful thread about mounting this rack on the BMW LT site. Good info and some good pictures towards the bottom.
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45148

I'm as handy as a manatee myself (similar physique, too), and rather nervous about drilling into fiberglass - especially given the lid cost. So, I was happy to read this recommendation from a similar thread.
- Cover the drilling locations with an 'X' of blue painters tape (to prevent cracking, bit jumping etc)
- Use a center punch to tap a guide divot
- Drill the holes once with a drill bit smaller than the required size, then use the correct sized bit to enlarge it.

I'm doing the work with a friend who is far handier than I am. Meaning: please don't take this process as gospel, as I'm re-posting and not offering successfully tested advise. I'll update when I have it installed...or I'm ordering a new lid.

My old bike had unpainted single layer side cases, so I installed bungee buddies and tied some small duffle bags to the top of the cases, which gave me all the capacity I needed, didn't interfere with the passenger and kept the weight low. When not using them, I just filled the holes with black RTV. On the 1200RT I'm a little reluctant to start drilling holes in those nicely painted double layer cases. I'm looking for something that will allow me to secure the duffels to the bike, resting on top of the cases, possibly using the hand rail mounting bolts. Any Ideas ?

Thanks
Bill

Yes! I thought of submitting this idea to the magazine (Don't anyone else do it - I said it first!).

I use 3m Command hooks. They are strong (let 'em sit overnight) and remove without any residue. The hook itself is removeable from the base and the base can be removed and reused with a new strip added to it. Just buy a set of medium or large and spray paint the hook. I three of them (upside down) to a couple of spots on each bag. Make sure that any force is in line with the hook - too much of an angle will not be nearly as strong. No issues using these (along with a ratchet strap on the rear rack) to hold a U-bag filled with tent, sleeping bags ect. on the bike.

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Command/home/us_en/products/hooks/

Thanks
Bill

Sure: two or three webbed nylon straps with plastic side-lock buckles will do the trick. We use a dry duffel from Cabela's ("Boundary Waters") when we carry hiking gear on trips. A friend uses REI's "mud box" which is actually a small little semi-rigid thing which fits almost exactly on the top of the sidecase.. We both just attach the things to the bike's pillion hand rails and down by the passenger footpeg. I usually run another one from the back end of the bag to the luggage rack area. Never a problem of any kind. We put duct tape on the tops of the cases to protect them from scratches. When we get home, the tape comes right off, a little swipe or two with 409 or similar gets any residue off. No hooks, no drilling, quick and easy to attach and detach. The dry duffel is totally, completely waterproof.

Sure: two or three webbed nylon straps with plastic side-lock buckles will do the trick. We use a dry duffel from Cabela's ("Boundary Waters") when we carry hiking gear on trips. A friend uses REI's "mud box" which is actually a small little semi-rigid thing which fits almost exactly on the top of the sidecase.. We both just attach the things to the bike's pillion hand rails and down by the passenger footpeg. I usually run another one from the back end of the bag to the luggage rack area. Never a problem of any kind. We put duct tape on the tops of the cases to protect them from scratches. When we get home, the tape comes right off, a little swipe or two with 409 or similar gets any residue off. No hooks, no drilling, quick and easy to attach and detach. The dry duffel is totally, completely waterproof.

I was thinking of webbed nylon straps myself as an excellent option for adding externally mounted gear/duffels/dry bags to a pack job. I use ROK Straps myself.

http://www.rokstraps.com/

Easy peasy, you "choke" both ends of the strap to whatever part of the bike or rack, stretch them across the load, snap the latches, and tighten them down. Replaced bungee cords in my world several years ago. Don't hurt the paint and they'll (disclaimer: PROBABLY :whistle ) never break and snap back in your face.

True that

Don't do it! The BMW rack for the topcase probably can't support much more weight than advised to put in the topcase itself. If you buy an after market topcase such as GIVI or Hepco-Becker, they have redesigned the racks to support the weight differently. I have an H-B on my R1200ST and a rack on top of the case on which I lash lightweight sleeping bags or jackets or stuff like that.

Lisa

I would have to agree. I think there may be some application for light oversized items like well secured sleeping bags. I have the 49L top case ride with it all the time usually empty with about 80500 miles and I've noticed cracking in the bike mount, I think mostly due to aerodynamic buffeting or the weight of my pillion on the occasional two up ride. If I made this modification I would increase the inspection interval of the mounting component for cracks. Pictures to follow:

Photos

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Back