• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Ham Radio Special Event station Possibility

Sue Rihn-Manke said:
Please stop and listen, folks.

Nobody should even THINK about asking a group to come into the rally to do this. I will be happy to discuss this on a one-on-one basis.

Thanks -
Sue

Why not? :dunno

How about DARA? Dayton's close to there isn't it?

Bob N5NJ

How about a rally or callin frequency?

How about we decide on a frequency that we can find each other on?
Either 2 meters .52 or 440 since some may have 440/FRS radios?

Jeff
KT2K

What do you need from me?

I have not heard from anyone about what you need from the rally committee. At this point I have a 10 x 10 booth for the HAM Radio group inside one of the vendor buildings.

If you need to be outside, you will be on your own to rent (or bring) a tent / canopy.

Sue

Sorry, but on Monday I had some hope. Today I have none.
I do not have the ability to put on even the minimal plans that I have made. I'm sorry, but this has been one of those years so far.

I plan on using Fred Vobbe's repeater while in Lima. W8HDU is 145.37- 107.2 PL and is IRLP 4102.

I hope to hear all of you in Lima.
The motorcycle is APRS KC8OBZ-7, and the tracker will be running.

Dick Reichenbach

Last edited:
I should be carrying 2m, 440, and 220 fm.
Don't currently have a portable HF rig. (and me the QRP guy!!, for shame!!!)
I'll check the rptr directory for listings in the area and to the south of, which is where I'll be traveling from. If any preference for a 220 in that area, please let me/us know. And yes, I'll volunteer some op. timp for station, either talk-in and/or special event.
--... ...-- -.. . -.- -.. ....- .--- ...- --.
Gregg

I'm game if you folks are- I'm coming with a sidecar and could haul a fair amount of radio stuff. I have a TEN-TEC 2 and 6 meter multimode transceiver, TEN-TEC Argosy 10-80 meter transceiver, and old Yaesu FT290 multimode 2 meter transceiver, and a bunch of handhelds of course. I could also bring my portable 2 meter beam if anyone wants to work 2 meter DX.

As long as the rally chair has graciously offered us a space I suggest we take her up on it- if we don't have enough of us to keep the station going all day we could just operate when we have folks available.

Diana

10 x 10 tent for you at the rally

I ordered a 10 x 10 tent for the Ham radio / BMW MOA members at the rally.
The tent supplier will be putting up all of the tents on Tuesday. Whoever is here first who wants to get their equipment set up, please ask for Brian or Sue. We can show you where the Ham radio tent is.

Radio Operator

Since I'm travelling on my motorcycle, I won't be able to bring much equipment, but if there is a radio there, I will be glad to operate it for a few hours during the rally. Who is organizing this? Is there an operator schedule?

I apologize, but I thought this was dropped months ago as a possibility.

I'm certain that it's too late now, but I think we could get a special callsign for future rallies. Something like NA1BMW etc. In fact, I would be willing to do this for future rallies since sadly it's too late for this one. Who should I talk to about getting official sanction to go ahead with this?

1X1 special event call sign

You can get a 1x1 special event call sign from a VEC for up to 15 days.
Go to arrl.org--licensing--call signs--1x1 call signs.
The form is right there.

I can bring a carolina windom for 80m-10m if anyone thinks we might need it.
Also the feedline is with it. Don't even need a tuner for most bands, and can string it up or even lay it across some surfaces w/good results. This has been my QRP portable ant. for a while now. Works great-less sidebag filling.
Gregg 87779

Thanks Sue for arranging a tent for us- can we get in wensday to set up our ham radio station? Also, will there be electricity available?

As for equipment I'll bring as much as I can stuff in my sidecar- sounds like we need an HF rig so I'll bring my humble TenTec Argosy. It's old but no more so than my bike- an '83 R80ST. Of course if someone has a dream rig and a kilowatt I'll be happy to let them hook up to the best antenna instead!

N0EGF

Haven't heard much chatter about the ham station today- not sure if that's a lack of interest or riders are already on the road to Lima. So I'll bring a basic HF station with and hopefully we can get something set up. I should be arriving in Lima thursday morning and look forward to meeting you folks and a little ham radio operating.

73s 'til then,

Diana, N0EGF

helper said:
You can get a 1x1 special event call sign from a VEC for up to 15 days.
Go to arrl.org--licensing--call signs--1x1 call signs.
The form is right there.

Yep. 1x1 calls are nifty for hams but I think we want to have the BMW folks recognize this one.

NA1BMW or NB1MOA or something like that would be really cool. I'm going to seek out the MOA powers that be in Lima to get permission to do it officially.

See y'all there. Leaving in the morning.

-Bob W5OV

Ham Radio-APRS Tracker

Those running APRS..looks like WD8EJC-10 will be your local digi in the Lima area. Looking at its beaconing text it's configured for a WIDE,RELAY,TRACE, but has a WIDE3-3 in its path setup. So anticipate the new digi set up of possibly not accepting the old RELAY/WIDE format.

Regards,

Clay AA3JY
K1200RS

KD4JVG said:
I can bring a carolina windom for 80m-10m if anyone thinks we might need it.
Also the feedline is with it. Don't even need a tuner for most bands, and can string it up or even lay it across some surfaces w/good results. This has been my QRP portable ant. for a while now. Works great-less sidebag filling.
Gregg 87779

I'm glad that so many have picked up where I dropped the ball. I'll put the portable mast back in the truck for delivery to Lima, along with an extra table. It'll be there on Thursday morning.

Will I need to bring a power supply?

Dick R. - KC8OBZ

Broke down- maybe I can make it on friday...

After enjoying a twisty southwest Wisconsin two lane I heard a nasty clunk pulling into McDonald's for a break. Inspection revealed the lower rear sidecar mount was broken. Fortunately the Richland Center Police were angels and let me unhook the sidecar and leave it overnight in their city hall parking lot. After relocating my Optima battery from the sidecar to pillion and securing it with half a dozen bungies I made my way back to Minneapolis on two wheels. Fortunately the tires had not been on long enough to get squared and the ST handled fine solo. I just got home and it looks like I have a replacement for the broken mount. I'll install it in the morning and head back to Richland Center to reattach the sidecar. If I can get it all together and roadworthy tomorrow night I'll still try to make it to Beemerville. If not, I'll take the Guzzi rally in southern Minnesota this weekend as a consolation prize. Gotta go and get some sleep...

Diana N0EGF

from dcreichenbach

I made it here. There was a lack of tents for the dealers, so I'll have to move my canopy over from general camping over to the spot.

The spot given to us seems to be in a pretty good place. It is between the Youth building (inside dealers) and the track fence. It's a grassy area, and I'll move the canopy over there tomorrow. The canopy will have the buckeye beemers flag on it.

Dick R - KC8OBZ

Back