• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

r90/6 fuel line question

The ethanol in today's fuel will eventually cause a rubber fuel line to deteriorate. Fuel lines should be replaced every few years. It's also a good idea to check the float bowls at the time to make sure none of the small particles have gotten into the carbs to clog the many small orificices (orifii?). I've had that happen.

Agreed!

After the PO's polyurethane tube decided to split yesterday :bluduh I decided it was time to put the braided hose in. I had to remove the left half of the airbox and the filter, and loosen the right side to get it in. Once in place, though, everything fit back with no problems.

It's nice having the Odyssey battery -- it sure gives you a lot more room to play around with the airbox :thumb

Agreed!

Being a novice ...

... it's time to understand that fuel line requires replacing every couple years.

The number of environmental factors that can cause deterioration of this line is nearly infinite.

Every couple?

Replace fuel lines every couple of years? You must be using the wrong fuel line material.

I got rid of the braided nonsense fuel line years ago and now use a standard fuel injection line material. I have not needed to change fuel lines in ten years or more. The last time I had to change a line was because I split the line by accident taking the cross over tees apart, not because it was leaking. For crying out loud, my cars use ethanol gas and I have NEVER had to change a fuel line in any of them. My little BMW convertible gets hotter than the blazes under the hood and it is going on 12 years old and 68K miles. Sunlight is tame compared to the temperature under the hoods of some cars.

Get good quality fuel injection line from and auto parts store to fit the t's and such and you won't have a problem for a long time. Stay away from the braided stuff. St.

1/4 inch premium fuel line from Tucker Rocky is what I use.

Replace fuel lines every couple of years? You must be using the wrong fuel line material.

Not changing from original. Not 'mericunizing my German bike. Not fitting not metric parts. Not making fuel tank removal more difficult. Might consider the rubber look line fitted on the last Airheads, to purchase from BMW dealer. Local VW Bug shop has braided metric line with "Made in Germany" printed on it in big letters which is pretty cool.

German

Who boy, I hate to burst anyone's bubble but the Germans are not much better at making parts than Americans and surprise, even the Chinese can make good parts. How many of BMW' parts they sell at big bucks are made in Turkey, or other non German lands? I am also noticing lately the BMW parts quality has gone down the past five years for some of the parts I get from the official BMW dealership.

I don't live in Germany, I prefer to keep an American worker employed as that is where the fuel line I purchase is made. OH yeah, it riles the heck out of me how much is made in China.

I am picky about how my bikes look that is one reason I spent over $13K dollars on a total overhaul with new paint chrome, powder coat, wiring harness. I like my bikes to look good but I don't enter them in shows where points are take off for not having the "proper fuel line" or exact paint.

I am sorry I tell it like I SEE it and experience it, I have only ridden airheads, don't want to know anything about other BMW bikes or for that matter other bikes. BMW markets to people with much higher incomes than I have so be it, if those people want to support BMW by buying only BMW parts fine. I prefer to support good little shops or companies as long as they make the product that does the job at a reasonable cost and fit and lets me keep riding the two bikes I have and will have until I can't ride anymore.

Yes, BMW is better at keeping parts in the pipeline for my bikes far better than OM companies I do give them credit for that but sorry, sometimes the price they charge is too much for what the part is.

LOL, if you want to pay premium price and replace lines every couple of years just to have Made in Germany or have the "proper look" on the fuel line, your choice. St.

I am also noticing lately the BMW parts quality has gone down the past five years for some of the parts I get from the official BMW dealership.

Yes, BMW is better at keeping parts in the pipeline for my bikes far better than OM companies I do give

I ran into this about 8-10 years ago on my 1996 3-series convertible. I had a good independent mechanic who did a good job keeping the car maintained. About two years before I sold in 2013, the parts the mechanic was getting from BMW were subpar in that they failed rather quickly. These were simple parts like belt tensioners, etc. I purchased my 88 R100 RT in 2004, and the parts I got in the mid 2000’s seemed to be of higher quality than I got in the mid 2010’s. While I’m happy BMW has chosen to continue to provide parts for our older bikes, I wonder if it would be better if they chose not to provide some parts rather than provide sub-par parts. Just my two-cents and a bit off topic. Sorry.

Years ago, I had purchased braded fuel lines from the dealer, but the rubber inside degraded rather quickly (I was seeing rubber bits in the carb bowls and were giving me problems. At that point I switched to alcohol resistant fuel lines at the local auto parts store with no issues.

Today

Jeff, I am happy to have someone kind of back me up on my observation about BMW parts. It is nice to know I may not be imagining things. I have a sign in my office "I'm not crazy, my reality is just different to yours". LOL, in some cases that is very true.

I bet after you switched fuel line material you found you didn't have to change out line every couple of years?

I have a 2011 335i convertible, and I am shocked at how much heat builds up under the hood because of the turbos and the exhaust design. I have had one of the fine plastic valve covers replaced at high cost. BMW chooses to use plastic in a high temperature environment, I guess they know better. St.

Back