• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Toronto Police Try RT-Ps

exgman

I found this item in the BMW CCA magazine (The Roundel) today. Seems the Toronto, ON Police are considering replacing HDs with RT-Ps. Model shown is clearly not a 2010, so who knows how old the photo is. See attached photo of a very hi-viz RT-P with some interesting details.

Attachments

• BEPC0010.JPG
    BEPC0010.JPG
    19 KB · Views: 163
I've wondered a long time why why North American motor officers didn't have the same level of protection as their European counterparts.

Hopefully Toronto sets a precedent here and it spreads to other departments.

La Surete du Quebec has been using BMW RT's for quite a while (K75RT-P/R11RT-P and R1200RT-P). It's kinda weird to see an officer performing radar standing close to the same bike you ride.

Hopefully they'll make a rational decision rather then the "scuff on the boots" from the shifter like our own city police.

Last edited:
Toronto RT-Ps...more information

I did a search of the Toronto Police website, and found more information. Turns out the photo from the Roundel is not accurate. The actual five trial BMWs are painted in a more conventional pattern. The police uniforms though are high-viz, and seem to have some protective features including armor. They'll also be using modular helmets. Here's a link to the Toronto PD website, and in the piece is a YouTube video with shots of the bikes and the officers' new uniforms:

http://www.torontopolice.on.ca/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=4725

The police in Qu?®bec have a long history with BMW motorcycles. In 1984 (?) for the pope's visit to Qu?®bec city, the police (city) had special white R100RTs (RS?) set up for the event. As Johnny mentionned, the Suret?® du Qu?®bec has been running them for years (10-15?).

previously posted under 'motorrad...

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=46175

the Atlantic City police like them...

In the 90s the Toronto police had some K75 police bikes. I don't know how long they used them or why they got rid of them, but I remember seeing them on the street.

The police in Qu?®bec have a long history with BMW motorcycles. In 1984 (?) for the pope's visit to Qu?®bec city, the police (city) had special white R100RTs (RS?) set up for the event. As Johnny mentionned, the Suret?® du Qu?®bec has been running them for years (10-15?).

previously posted under 'motorrad...

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=46175

the Atlantic City police like them...

Here in Ottawa we had H-D Pope specials. Interesting regional differences.

Have a great weekend.

Back