• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Pics of your rig's MOUNTING HARDWARE

The conversion of a K bike to sidecar use requires a rather substantial subframe to wrap around under the engine, from the steering head to the transmission.

This shows a K1 with suspension compressed via a stand, and the sidecar frame being fitted to the installed subframe. You can just see the lower front attachment eyebolt on the subframe.

The connector tubes and fittings were all supplied by EZS, but each had to be custom fitted, welded, and powder coated to complete the assembly.

This is during the conversion of the "Valdez."

pmdave

Attachments

• WS Rear sc on blocks in pos sm.jpg
    WS Rear sc on blocks in pos sm.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 497
Hi Dave... I was out of town for a few days chasing dollar bills.

Thanks for the great information.... too bad you couldn't have been a little more specific
09.gif
Just kidding. I'm hearing about the Yellow Book, could you provide me a link?

You even gave me some information for a question I was about to ask this evening. That being, if one were to go looking for a "late" model BMW to convert into a "rig" what model would it be?

I was thinking an R1150-like substance, or a "K" model. But to be quite honest, I'm an old Airhead and haven't paid too much attention to the later iron.

Would you care to comment further on this ... or perhaps it is worth a new "topic".

Lew

p.s. The "compression stand" is great. At Vetters we used to just drill holes in the floor to do fairing and saddlebag fittups.. .. guess we weren't clever enough to think of a stand.
icon_redface.gif

I'm hearing about the Yellow Book, could you provide me a link?

edit - Got it

Sidecar Safety Program. Driving a Sidecar Outfit, Second Edition. Port Angeles, WA 2007:
Printwerk Graphics and Design
1000 Richard Road, Dyer, IN 46311
Telephone (800) 736-1117

Last edited:
Driving A Sidecar Outfit (aka the "yellow book" because of the yellow cover) is available directly from Printwerk Graphics at 800 736-1117 and from Whitehorse Press at 800 531-1133.

The first edition of the yellow book was written to answer the need of complete novices to learn how to handle a hack. We discovered that there were a lot of people interested in sidecars who had no prior motorcyclign experience. So, the lessons and exercises start at the beginning with controls and indicators, braking, shifting, etc.

Not too long after the first edition was available, sidecarists demanded a formal training course, so that was developed, then an instructor guide, arrangements for insurance, instructor training and certification, and all the other details needed to offer courses. At that time, the MSF was not only not interested in sidecar or three-wheeler courses, but they actively worked to prevent it from happening.

Fortunately for the SSP volunteers, the Evergreen Safety Council in Seattle adoped the sidecar course, and turned it into the Sidecar/Trike Education Program (S/TEP) That's the course that's now administered nationwide--completely independent of the MSF. However, a few state motorcycle safety programs have approved the S/TEP as a three-wheeler parallel to MSF curricula. Washington subsidizes the S/TEP for novice motorcyclists.

The S/TEP is two days. The second day is the "advanced" section, and serves as an excellent introduction to three-wheelers for experienced motorcyclists.

After years of publishing the first edition of the Yellow Book with all it's warts, it was rewritten a couple of years ago, and now includes sections on advanced driving techniques, and assembling a sidecar rig.

There are other sidecar books available, but none that start at the beginning for complete novices, and none that get into advanced dynamics or assembly.

I understand that IMZ-Ural includes a copy of the yellow book with every rig they sell. And the more clever sidecar installers do likewise, as a hedge against liability.

pmdave

Attachments

• Driving cover 03 sm.jpg
    Driving cover 03 sm.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 494
More than a few riders have used the R1150 or 1200 GS to build "dual sport" sidecar rigs. Enough have been put together that the puzzles have been solved, including trail reduction via a different lower fork brace/ball joint mount.

If I were looking to put such a combination together, I'd talk to Jay Giese at Dauntless Motors in Enumclaw WA.

I haven't looked closely at the later BMW machines other than the boxer, but any machine with lots of plastic makes it much more difficult. For a street hack, the Basic R1200R would be fine, and use the same connections as the GS.

Mike Paull has several rigs, including this with the Ural sidecar. Mike leads tours in Europe. I'm not sure of his other outfits or how many he has spread around the globe.

Obviously, having leg limitations doesn't slow Mike down.

pmdave

Attachments

• Mike Paull GS Ural 02 sm.jpg
    Mike Paull GS Ural 02 sm.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 493
If you can tolerate the idea of having a BMW bike and a brand-X sidecar rig, one of the most economical and potent sidecar pullers is the Suzuki 1200 Bandit.

A few years ago Pete Larson at Liberty put together this Bandit/EZS Rally rig, which I had the opportunity to test.

I discovered the rig had a significant downside: it was so brutally fast I knew I would not be able to keep it under control--and myself out of jail. It would burn rubber in just about any gear, and acceleration was scary quick.

Later that year, another experienced sidecar driver attempted to stuff it between two immovable trees up on Mt. Hood.

But, you can buy a brand new Bandit for something like $8K. Think about it.

pmdave

Attachments

• Bandit EZS Ft W 01 sm.jpg
    Bandit EZS Ft W 01 sm.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 496
Hey! It's already got a leading link!

But it needs fenders. Cedar shakes should do the job for both chair and fenders.

pmdave

Mounting an EZS to a GSA

The challenges of mating a chair to a late-model BMW are many - but it's not an insurmountable task. Kudos to Dauntless for their impeccable work. This is an EZS RX5 (which can seat 2 kids or 1.5 adults!) lashed to my 2008 BMW R1200GSA.

101_3819.jpg

Impeccable indeed.

Thanks for that great shot hooligan. Any chance we come have another one from the opposite direction and/or from the top? Excellent size too... perfect for zooming into.

As an old design draftsman I like to see at least three "views"; it really helps understand a mechanism.

9 months ago...

Here is the only other angle that I have right now. I am still awaiting delivery of my rig. Should be here in a couple of weeks. This pic was taken 3 months into the build. Some changes have been made since.

101_3458.jpg

1974 R75/6 American Egale Sidecar

1974 R75/6 American Eagle sidecar -- DMC front subframe - Rear upper Motovation clamp

VW bug streering damper

6976467378_b0a5a21276_b.jpg

Last edited:
2000 k 1200 lt

I am thinking of getting a side car and mounting it to my bike. This is going to be a new adventure for me.

I had a 1971 R75 that I mounted a side car for one trip. Just to try it. It went well, but not for me at that time.

As I am now at the start of being a rider of senior age, with some health problems, it is time to get a side car.

Thanks, for any and all help and suggestions.

George,

aka: MTHelmet :violin

Back