• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Start issue K75c

Niles1

I am having problems with this bike starting, at this juncture I have replaced the starter motor, the handlbar starter unit and the starter relay has also be replaced.
Some times I will push the starter button and all I will hear is the fuel pump cycling but the motor will not turn over at all. A few days later I will again try to start it and it will fire up and run fine for a week or so and then the problem happens again. Does anyone have any ideas because my Local dealer out here in Vegas is stumped. In advance thanks for any help given on this issue.
Respectfully, Neil:dunno

Sounds some what like an internittent that I had with a K100. Some times it started, sometimes there was no crank, some times it would start to crank and quit before it fired up. It never let me down long term. I did most of the same things you did with no improvement.

A trivial fact The Starter relay grounds thru the Ignition black box. I think that it is to prevent the starter engaging when the engine is running.

I directly grounded the starter relay and it never missed after that. It is not a solution but a diagnostic trial. I replaced the Ignition box as soon possible.

Neil,

Before we continue on diagnostics by replacement (the most expensive way to diagnose things..) - a question.

Are you sure it's the fuel pump you're hearing, and not the starter motor (spinning but not engaging)? Reason I ask that - it sounds like you're describing the usual symptoms of a sprag-clutch failure (the drive clutch from the starter to the engine)..

K75 Starting issues

Thanks for your responses and yes I am sure it is the fuel pump cycling because I also had to replace that earlier in the year and am familiar with the noise it makes.
Respectfully, Neil:dunno

I suspect hhshort is on the right track. You can make a jumper from a ground to the "grounded" starter relay lead-all inside the electrical box. This will eliminate this possibility.

Using"how to trouble shoot your K100" at the top of this forum and going to the bottom of that web page you will find an interactive wiring chart. The wire you need to ground is the Brown Red. I completly disconnected it and ran a wire from the starter relay tab to ground. I ran my bike several thousand miles that way while looking for a used black box. All you really need to do is use a jumper wire with clips and clip from the tab to a good ground and try your starter. Then if that solves your problem I have black box from a 1990 k75. (Blatant sales pitch)

thanks

Thanks for all your ideas I will give it a go and see what happens i do love to ride this bike and let me tell you this is an irritant. Also i am a bit sad at the fact the bike shop here is not of more help. Thats life i guess.
Respectfully, Neil

Thanks for all your ideas I will give it a go and see what happens i do love to ride this bike and let me tell you this is an irritant. Also i am a bit sad at the fact the bike shop here is not of more help. Thats life i guess.
Respectfully, Neil

Neil; I am not that surprised that your dealer is not of more help. I have a 92
K75RT. While visiting the Los Angeles area a few months ago, I spent a little
time looking at the new BMW's at one of the largest dealerships in the U.S. and
asked about getting a quote on doing a valve adjustment. I was told that they
couldn't do it as none of their mechanics were trained in bikes more than about
10 years old. The closest dealership to me here in Oregon, Hansen's BMW in
Medford, who has been in business since 1972, has mechanics that can work on
just about any BMW made. See if you can find an independent shop or a dealer
that has been around for more than 25 years.

Back