• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Steering Head Bearings for R67

pstanisa

Hello, I am repairing a 1952 R67 for a friend, and the head bearings are shot. I was wondering if anyone knows of a sealed bearing that I can use as a replacement?

Part numbers would be nice.

Thanks in advance!

p!

As long as the races are in decent shape, just replace the 50 ball bearings (25 top and bottom) using grease to hold them in place upon assembly. Vech has them for 75 cents each.

Replace those annoying loose balls with a set of roller bearings. I think the cost is similar, and it's a heckuva lot less trouble to remove and installed the forks. They should last a lot longer, too.

Replace those annoying loose balls with a set of roller bearings. I think the cost is similar, and it's a heckuva lot less trouble to remove and installed the forks. They should last a lot longer, too.

The quote from Bench Marks for the roller bearings was $50 per set. That vs. 75 cents for ball bearings (I only needed 3) made it obvious to me which to use. People also discuss handling. My R50/2 hasn't exceeded 60mph since I restored it and I doubt my upcoming R51/3 project will either. The restorations on these machines cost so dang much anyway, why put unnecessary performance parts in them when OEM will do nicely?

The restorations on these machines cost so dang much anyway, why put unnecessary performance parts in them when OEM will do nicely?

Two comments. First, I suspect few think of going with roller bearings as an unnecessary performance upgrade. But that is your call.

Second: it is a sad fact that if you are doing a full restoration the cost difference will be nothing by the time you are done. :deal

I have replaced the balls and races on two of my R60/2s with tapered bearings. I would do that to any vintage BMW that has the balls and races. I have tapered bearings in all my /2s and /3s.

The improvement is not just noticeable, it is very significant. IMHO it would be foolish to reinstall balls and races during a restoration.

I have replaced the balls and races on two of my R60/2s with tapered bearings. I would do that to any vintage BMW that has the balls and races. I have tapered bearings in all my /2s and /3s.

The improvement is not just noticeable, it is very significant. IMHO it would be foolish to reinstall balls and races during a restoration.

Since you're the guru and I'm the newbie to restorations, I'll acquiesce and buy the roller bearings. Thanks for the input.

Back