• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Salty fog rally 2010

Speaking of waypoints, Garmin's North America (City Navigator) maps for the Zumo are pretty bad for Nova Scotia. They're little more than base maps with geometric roads, shorelines, and other features. I don't know if this is true for Zumos sold in Canada, but that's what I get from my US version.

4735907191_22dee06535_b.jpg

A much better map set is Garmin's Topo Canada 2.0.

4736544718_c706621f9a_b.jpg

I like that second one from Topo Canada. My MapSource is visually between the two that you show. Thus far I have found coordinates to be very accurate (What MapSource indicates for our Larry's River coordinates takes us right to the house. I am using a Street Pilot 2720 and Mary's Garmin 155w does the same thing. I'd like to have that Topo Canada version but it looks like it's $150. If anyone has trouble we will be near the phone to verbally assist. (note: no cell phone service in Larry's River but all will have the house phone number in case they have to be contacted or if someone wants to call out)

I will be riding the route later this week and will double check coordinates on my GPS as I arrive at each point. - Bob

55 days...

... until the start of the Salty Fog Riders Rally :dance I will be riding the entire route later this week and confirming accommodations at the campgrounds and collecting a few more points of interest (with coordinates). We are looking at a clockwise 'extra run' around the Cabot Trail from Baddeck for those so inclined. This run will have a lead familiar with the road. A bit more 'spirited' approach.

Next week we will be posting an exact costing for the entire week. We are estimating about $65 (Larry's River food: day, evening and morning plus three nights camping at $10/person/night plus two cable ferry crossings) plus food, entertainment, gas etc.

We suggest that you email us at saltyfogriders@gmail.com if you believe that you may be able to attend. Reason: group rates and food purchases.

- Bob

Due to some new information from a frequent Cape Breton rider, we are now considering an alternate ride option to Camp 3 (Baddeck) by way of an area referred to as the Little Cape Breton Trail. This is located on the same Bras d'Or Lake island that we first crossed by ferry on our way to Louisbourg. However, the route follows a twisty little path to the north of the island. This brings us back to Little Narrows and the ferry which connects with the Trans Canada to Camp 3. This allows for one quick route and one that is about an hour longer. I will be riding this in the next week to see if it suits us. - Bob

RouteTwoOptionForBaddeck.jpg

Consider This: There is absolutely no other guided group tour option that will cost you as little as this tour and still provide the same level of content. This entire venture is non-profit and is aimed at introducing you to our beautiful part of the world. Come and enjoy!

... time is closing in fast to express your interest in joining this ride around one of the most scenic and diverse areas on the entire east coast! I just came back from exploring the route again and experimenting with a couple of interesting (albeit a bit challenging) route alternates. Probably of greatest interest to those piloting a GS. A few pics:

THE CABLE FERRY AT LITTLE NARROWS (a $1 group rate; regular $5)

DSCN7641.jpg

DSCN7640.jpg

LOTS OF TWISTS AND OCEAN/LAKE/RIVER VIEWS

DSCN7634.jpg

A LITTLE REMOTE BRIDGE ON THAT 'CHALLENGING' ROUTE THAT I MENTIONED

DSCN7639.jpg

AND THEN A BIT OF REST AT CAMPGROUND #1 IN LOUISBOURG

DSCN7632.jpg

HOPE THAT YOU CAN MAKE IT! SEE YOU AT THE RA! (we can't make the national :(

EMAIL: saltyfogriders@gmail.com - Bob

A cure for the summer heat!

Hey there, friend.
Ya say your radiators never worked all winter and now that its summer they started up again and ya can't turn them off?

Ya say your wife sent your light weight suits to the cleaners and that means you'll have to wear your itchy tweeds this morning when they say it'll hit 106 and ya gotta meet an important business man in an hour and your bridge just broke and ya pasted it together with bubble gum and ya hope it don't fall apart while you're doing some fast talking to this man?

And - and your shoelace just busted and ya opened a big cut on your cheek trying to
even out your sideburns and your daughter's going out with a convict and your wife just confessed she gave your last sixty dollars as a deposit on an airplane hanger?
Is that whats troubling ya, friend?

Then, escape to the Salty Fog Rally!

Now that the national is a wonderful memory, maybe thoughts about an east coast venture come to mind. The Salty Fog Riders Rally is set for August 23-27. You must contact us to be part of this little tour through north eastern Nova Scotia. Ride through the various cultures which make Nova Scotia such a rich and hospitable destination. One of our stops this year is at Rita's Tea House. Doesn't sound very exciting eh? But it is yet another taste of Nova Scotia that we take you to. The food is wonderful and the Room is the work of Ms Rita McNeil (probably Nova Scotia's best known traditional recording artists). Lunch there on the 24th. Here is the outline and the menu. The chowder is a serious competition for that wonderful Maine Chowdah.

Ritas1001.jpg

Ritas2.jpg

See you at the RA! - Bob and Mary

Hard to resist eh? (Cabot Trail: West side, counter clockwise)

DSC00750.jpg

photo by Tom Mcgee

This is one of the hundreds of photos sent by DVD to participants. This year Tom is again providing the bulk of the excellent photos to be had on this journey. Come and enjoy! - Bob and Mary

A short one dollar cruise...

SaltyFog472.jpg

smiles and grins in abundance...

651899949_6qTpY-X3.jpg

651898187_xN5Dn-X3.jpg

651898715_Lefru-X3.jpg

651897964_AVqm3-X3.jpg

651897798_b8Ved-X3.jpg

:type saltyfogriders@gmail.com

Last edited:
Damn, missing it again

I had every intention of making the Salty Fog this year. In fact, I had every intention of making it to a lot of rallies I've missed or will miss. My mother died while I was enroute to Redmond, and I left the bike in Denver and flew home. Besides missing Redmond, I also missed the Ponoka, AB rally and I'm going to miss the Trenton rally. All 3 were pre-paid so that hurts too. I got the chance for a free flight back to the US to pick up my bike, and since it cost a fortune for the last minute flight home, I'm taking it. Of course the timing isn't great but so be it. I'll be riding back from Denver during the Salty Fog. Hoist one for me and I'll try again next year.

Holly

I had every intention of making the Salty Fog this year. In fact, I had every intention of making it to a lot of rallies I've missed or will miss. My mother died while I was enroute to Redmond, and I left the bike in Denver and flew home. Besides missing Redmond, I also missed the Ponoka, AB rally and I'm going to miss the Trenton rally. All 3 were pre-paid so that hurts too. I got the chance for a free flight back to the US to pick up my bike, and since it cost a fortune for the last minute flight home, I'm taking it. Of course the timing isn't great but so be it. I'll be riding back from Denver during the Salty Fog. Hoist one for me and I'll try again next year.

Holly

that's a lot of misfortune Holly. Consider the brew hoisted (pictures to follow that one if I can arrange!) and next year will have a lot more promos happening and such. At least you will be able to view our pictures from this year's event. Now, pray for sunny weather! (in spite of the rally name). - Bob

Larry's River Base Camp Menu

... ok, so what's so good about the food at Larry's River??

Monday August 23rd, Evening

Homemade Chicken and Veg. soup : ongoing
Pizza Pieces for snacking
Spaghetti: Lovingly Homemade by Mary
Garlic Bread
Salty Fog Riders Carrot Cake
Coffee/Tea and Beer for sale at cost (aka donation)

Tuesday morning August 24th

Organic eggs (scrambled with lots of veggies added)
Pancakes (with freshly picked organic blueberries)
Great coffee/tea

Cost for Monday and Tuesday meals plus free camping (or mattress on the floor)

$30.00 each What a bargain eh? - Bob and Mary

Still time to join in! saltyfogriders@gmail.com

Cabot Trail: 1933

... a road that only the GSers would love! We now have pavement so come on over!

CabotTrail1930a.jpg

CabotTrail1930b.jpg

Ride a piece of history!

Back