• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Salty fog rally 2010

tourunigo

Maybe you've heard about it..... maybe you do not have all of your summer travel plans booked..... maybe you read about it here on the Forum .... this is a summary of last year's ride

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=40130&highlight=salty+fog+rally

.... well, the 2010 Salty Fog Riders Rally is a confirmed event for

August 23 to 27, 2010

DSC01795.jpg

.. the route is 500 miles or 800 km long. The following map is this year's route. An extra camping night has been added to modify the pace a bit and also allow for some riders to join in at various points. All camping will be $10 per person (provided that we have more than a dozen riders)

SALTYFOGRIDERSRALLY2010MAP.jpg

Much more information will be forthcoming in the next few days. Feel free to contact us at saltyfogriders@gmail.com Back soon! - Bob and Mary

Last edited:
This year we are introducing some variations on the our previous rallies.

1) we are adding an additional camping night just outside Baddeck (home of the Alexander Graham Bell museum http://www.pc.gc.ca/lhn-nhs/ns/grahambell/index.aspx and the birthplace of Canadian aviation. By adding Baddeck we will able to allow more time for individual rider choice without rushing.

2) a short 15 minute detour for lunch at Rita's Tea Room on the 24th http://www.ritamacneil.com/tearoom.html

3) Last year we all went to the Louisbourg Playhouse http://www.louisbourgplayhouse.com/ to see the musical production of Spirit of the Island. This year the musical and story telling production is A Night In A Cape Breton Kitchen. Locally a tradition and if you have never been involved with one then this will be an even bigger treat. (check out some actual examples on Youtube The playhouse is a short walk from the campsite. Cost is about $15. The next morning we can walk to breakfast and then ride to Fortress Louisbourg http://www.pc.gc.ca/lhn-nhs/ns/louisbourg/index.aspx Those who have previously been there may choose to explore other riding and/or site visit options. Since that night's camp is only a little over an hour away, the day's events can be done at a relaxing pace.

4) we will continue to take the cable ferry at Little Narrows with a cost of about one dollar per person (a group rate) As well, our campground negotiations have been able to retain a camping cost of $10 per person, again a group rate. (this could vary slightly if we have fewer participants this year...... but that won't happen eh?)

5) we are also looking at some alternate routes for those seeking a more spirited ride. Usually the ride down from Meat Cove will satisfy these cravings but more on that later.

6) as well (for those interested and able) as we arrive back on the mainland about noon on the 27th, we will continue on to Prince Edward Island for the Island Rally http://www.angelfire.com/pe/peimtc This excellent annual rally will help introduce you to yet another beautiful part of Atlantic Canada. We are looking at roping off an area for us if enough riders are interested and able to stay a bit longer.

More later. Don't forget to see the Forum link to last year's event. - Bob and Mary

DSC00588.jpg

Last edited:
Salty Fog Riders 2009 leaving Meat Cove. A few other riders connected along the way and due to other commitiments had to head home. This crew did the entire run and now prepare for the exciting ride down the west side of the island and across the Causeway.

3993716815_e64968b81e_o.jpg

Hope that you can be in the Salty Fog Riders 2010 group shot!

Last edited:
Maybe you can go to the Return To Trenton rally http://www.ltbmwr.ca and then just move east to the Salty Fog and then move on the Island Rally on Prince Edward Island. That will take care of the last three weeks of August for you. :thumb - Bob

Last edited:
Thanks for the video Tom. I had to use my newly updated laptop to get it to play..... my older desktop just froze. Could it get over to YouTube maybe? Anyway, Mary and I were able to watch the Louisbourg landing set to Jennifer's fine fiddle. :dance That campground is quite nice and very convenient. Will be there again this year. Now this has me thinking about possibly developing some video for this year's event. Do you have any more video of 2009? - Bob

Thanks for the video Tom. I had to use my newly updated laptop to get it to play..... my older desktop just froze. Could it get over to YouTube maybe? Anyway, Mary and I were able to watch the Louisbourg landing set to Jennifer's fine fiddle. :dance That campground is quite nice and very convenient. Will be there again this year. Now this has me thinking about possibly developing some video for this year's event. Do you have any more video of 2009? - Bob

YouTube was balking for some reason last night. I'll try later. Yes, I have a lot more, unedited clips, as that one was. Plenty shaky for much of it. This year I have the GoPro HD with a helmet mount. One's body makes a great shock absorbing camera mount.

YouTube was balking for some reason last night. I'll try later. Yes, I have a lot more, unedited clips, as that one was. Plenty shaky for much of it. This year I have the GoPro HD with a helmet mount. One's body makes a great shock absorbing camera mount.

The balking may be copywrited music part. So, with all this new equipment maybe videographer at the rally? With camera in hand and video on the helmet and riding the bike ..... you could be a busy guy! - Bob

The balking may be copywrited music part. So, with all this new equipment maybe videographer at the rally? With camera in hand and video on the helmet and riding the bike ..... you could be a busy guy! - Bob

No, it was something else causing the problem. As to taking video, that's the easy part. Editing is the killer.

Hard to resist....

.... coming down the west side of the Cabot Trail. Think about it.

DSC_1529-1.jpg

Larry's River Base Camp is free camping (better if we get that barn built!), homemade veggie soup (always on) Coffee/tea always on, pizza for snacking, a grand supper (spaghetti, homemade sauce, garlic bread, cheese) plus a large Salty Fog Riders carrot cake for desert. A substantial breakfast will be served on departure morning the 24th (scrambled eggs - organic , pancake with fruit, coffee/tea with toast available). All of that is $30 per person ..... you can't beat that deal! After that camping is $10 per person per night (3), diners for on the road- on your own, ferries (2) about $1.00 (group rate) each, any theater, museum etc is on own. We will try and find some of the most interesting options for most participants. If you need travel information please email us at saltyfogriders@gmail.com and we will respond right away with suggestions.

We look forward to introducing you to our wonderful part of the world as well as meeting with returning friends. - Bob and Mary

Last edited:
... we know that it's getting late in the planning season but if you do have an interest in riding east to the Salty Fog please email us at saltyfogriders@gmail.com
August and September are beautiful months for riding here. - Bob

I've got this year's Salty Fog marked on my calendar, Bob. I'm not committed, but hoping to make it. Of course I'd have to detour to Big Pond to have lunch and tea at Rita's Tea Room, being so close and all. :thumb

I've got this year's Salty Fog marked on my calendar, Bob. I'm not committed, but hoping to make it. Of course I'd have to detour to Big Pond to have lunch and tea at Rita's Tea Room, being so close and all. :thumb

Funny you should mention it Paul because Rita's is on the bill! After running across the ferry at Little Narrows we meander over to Rita's for lunch on the day after Larry's River and on the way to Louisbourg. Last year there was a lot of LONG wait construction going on in that area so we took another route. Thanks again for another of your ride enhancement ideas Paul. :thumb -Bob

Tuesday morning look for more Salty Fog Riders Rally info. A bit slow out of the gate this year but hope that we can raise enough interest for folks to come to our part of Atlantic Canada. Mary and I will be at the RA and can provide information beyond what may get presented here. So, are you looking for just over a week of east coast bliss to polish off your August intinerary? Stay tuned:thumb - Bob

Funny you should mention it Paul because Rita's is on the bill! After running across the ferry at Little Narrows we meander over to Rita's for lunch on the day after Larry's River and on the way to Louisbourg. Last year there was a lot of LONG wait construction going on in that area so we took another route. Thanks again for another of your ride enhancement ideas Paul. :thumb -Bob

The construction area heading towards Rita's was quite challenging with a fully loaded RT. Hope the road is ready for your rally.

Have a great time!

Thanks for the nudge to get an update on the road construction in that area. According to our road construction authorities, there is no work being done on route 4 (where Rita's is located). Last year was terrible. I rode through it and subsequently diverted the Salty Fog Riders Rally route up through Little Narrows (which turned out to be much more scenic and twisty...... we will retain this route and back track on 4 to include Rita's ). I will likely ride up along the route some time in July to be sure that no serious construction exists. - Bob

Back