• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Trouble with custom routes to my 660.

Planedr

Hey all,

Big trip (for me) this weekend, and I'm having trouble uploading custom routes to my 660. I created a route using Garmin Road Trip, but when I send it to the unit, it never appears there, even though the program posts a "transfer successful" message. Starting to get a bit panicked because I leave Friday. Any help really appreciated! Thanks.

Joe

Let me guess, you're running RoadTrip on a Mac using Snow Leopard 10.6. If so, there is a bug in RoadTrip that occurred after Apple upgraded to 10.6 and Garmin never fixed it. Some refer to it as the Chinese character bug. If you click on the route so it turns green, your route properties window will pop up. If you tab the "Directions" view, not "Via points" view, you will see your turn by turn directions. If any of those directions have Chinese characters in the description , your Zumo won't see the route. (unless you want to give your Zumo Chinese lessons) Yes the route transfers "Successfully", but your Zumo can't read it hence the "No show" problem.

Two solutions: Either find the Chinese characters and edit them out by double clicking that line to bring up the properties and then eliminate the Chinese characters. Not all routes will have those characters so some routes will load properly and others won't.

Second solution (since Garmin has no plans to fix it) is to download their newer free mapping program for Mac called BaseCamp. BaseCamp doesn't have the bug. Concerned about loosing all the stuff you've worked on in RoadTrip? The first time you launch BaseCamp it will say something to the effect: " I see you have routes and waypoints in RoadTrip", would you like to transfer them into BaseCamp?". Hit yes and all the stuff you have in RoadTrip will be in BaseCamp when it opens only with no Chinese characters.

Let's us know if that works.

Last edited:
RTRandy, "Your inside serves you well" Great guess on the ops system! I did check as you suggested, and actually rebuilt the route confirming no Chinese. I then sent it over with no problem. Thanks for all your input!
Rockbottom, Thanks also, that forum site looks good! Definately going to join that for future reference.

I have no problem with Road Trip 2.0.2 on OS X 10.6.3 and the zumo 660. Make sure that your zumo 660 has the latest firmware. It should be 3.8.

Thanks Mudbug, Just got back from a weekend tour, will check tomorrow. The last time I had it plugged in, it said software/firmware was up to date, but I will make sure.

Thx!

Thanks Mudbug, Just got back from a weekend tour, will check tomorrow. The last time I had it plugged in, it said software/firmware was up to date, but I will make sure.

Thx!

After the transfer did you go into user data and choose the new route? I think that's what I do on the 550

Back