• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Headlight Reflector question

fotofreak

Question about headlight reflector.
Is the H4 bulb side, of the part at end of red arrow, supposed to be shiny????
Mine is very dull like oxidized aluminum.

Attachments

• headlight assy.jpg
    headlight assy.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 118
Some were flat black and others-like yours-are plated. It is there to direct more of the bulb's light into the reflector. It also protects the bulb in the event of a broken lens.

"no." is correct.

! ! ! ACHTUNG - ACHTUNG ! ! ! Be forewarned: the glass lens is not permanently affixed to the reflector and can part company at the most unexpected moment ... keep your finger around it when removing the "headllamp" from the chrome ring. The only thing holding the two together is the rubber "gasket" (#4) that wraps around the edge of the lens/refector. (most of the time it holds, but sometimes it doesn't).

Ask me how I know this...... . . .

edit- but it does make it nice if you need to clean the back side of the lens...

And if your headlamp pops out while you're using a BFH on some other delicate component of the machine because of the cheezy ineffective lens-to-bucket clamp and the lamp falls down on the front fender/hoop brace and breaks the lens, you can ride around with clear packing tape on the lens for the next six weeks while you're waiting for the new lens from Chicago BMW that "costed" about $35 about six years ago. DAMHIKT.

:violin

But if you're really smart, you'll snag a spare cheap offa Ebay and keep in on the shelf until you need it!

Be forewarned: the glass lens is not permanently affixed to the reflector and can part company at the most unexpected moment ... keep your finger around it when removing the "headllamp" from the chrome ring. The only thing holding the two together is the rubber "gasket" (#4) that wraps around the edge of the lens/refector.

With regards to the original question - on my bike, the inside of the bulb protector is plated (not shiny).

But, I also have four of the wire clamps #18 that keep the whole assembly together. They clip the reflector and chrome ring together (with the glass lens and the rubber gasket in between).

Regards,

Barron

And if your headlamp pops out while you're using a BFH on some other delicate component of the machine because of the cheezy ineffective lens-to-bucket clamp and the lamp falls down on the front fender/hoop brace and breaks the lens, you can ride around with clear packing tape on the lens for the next six weeks while you're waiting for the new lens from Chicago BMW that "costed" about $35 about six years ago. DAMHIKT.

It now costs $48.43 at Max BMW! Though that cheezy clip did give me an excuse for a nice ride up to New Hampshire and cleaning off the reflector while inside made for a brighter headlight. Looks nicer too w/out the packing tape ;)

It now costs $48.43 at Max BMW!

Wish I'd known Rusty and the crew AT MAXBMW before I bought my replacement from that "Fellow down in Florida" for $90.. . . .

I love it, you order parts, and they send along M&M Peanuts !!!

It now costs $48.43 at Max BMW! Though that cheezy clip did give me an excuse for a nice ride up to New Hampshire and cleaning off the reflector while inside made for a brighter headlight. Looks nicer too w/out the packing tape ;)

Insult to inury: $38.74 at Chicago BMW but you have to ASK for the 20% discount. :bolt

Back