• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Crater Lake

Z

ziegelreiter

Does anyone know what the temp. at night is at Crater Lake in mid July (07/13).
The farthest projection I can find is for mid June at 29 degrees at night.

The rim is at 7,000 ft. so it is not uncommon to have temperatures in the twenties during the summer.

Same month last year I was visiting Crater Lake and the temps in the afternoon were in the high 80's at the park entrance but it was chilly enough at the lake that I kept my Kilimanjaro zipped up both off and on the bike.

Me? I wouldn't even consider camping out up there but YMMV! :thumb

PS: Make sure that you gas up before you enter the park. I forgot and had to pay $6.00+ per gallon for regular!

Crater Lake Crowd

I am rethinking my intention to ride to Redmond via Crater Lake. I fear it's going to look like a HOG club poker run there, the day before the MOA Rally.

I've been there before on a bike, and it's a beautiful place. The Lodge is perpetually booked solid, and I expect it will look like a BMW parking lot for lunch that week.

Jim
:dunno

Crater lake

This is an Oregon feature that should not be missed if you have never seen it. Usually when I ride in the mountains I focus on the road and the the turns at the expense of appreciating the scenery. The Crater Lake experience is just the opposite.

The rim road is only 33 miles around. There will be tourists from around the world and bicyclists on the road as well (The best bicycle ride!). There are numerous turn offs with intrepretive signage and the scenery is as good as anyplace in the world. Go there and soak it in. Ride clockwise so that your lane is nearer the lake and take a nice leisurly tour. You can take or leave the lodge and gift shop, but the rim road is a life-list thing to do.

Crater Lake makes a nice day trip from Bend or Redmond. The park entrance is 95 miles from my home in Bend so we ride down in the morning, make a lap around the rim, have a nice lunch at the lodge and ride back. Plenty of time to take in all the view points and take pictures. Only problem is that 97 south out of Bend is pretty straight and boring but it goes by quickly.

Cold:)

I think the rim gets to almost 8000', but camping all around the area is somewhat less around 5-7000' and you bet quite cool, but very good sleeping weather in a tent:). If winter hit hard, snow still exists(patches) around the rim in July. It shouldn't be missed, even a second/third ride through it. A LOT of GS dirt byways exist all around the area too, especially East of Hwy97 heading back North to Bend/Redmond...Randy:thumb

Agree, a must do if you've never been there. I'd also recommend staying to watch the video in the visitors center, the history of the the park is very interesting.

There was snow on the rim in 2001.

I think the rim gets to almost 8000', but camping all around the area is somewhat less around 5-7000' and you bet quite cool, but very good sleeping weather in a tent:). If winter hit hard, snow still exists(patches) around the rim in July. It shouldn't be missed, even a second/third ride through it. A LOT of GS dirt byways exist all around the area too, especially East of Hwy97 heading back North to Bend/Redmond...Randy:thumb

At the 2001 Rally there was still snow on the rim in patches. I made the mistake of riding to the area late in the day. By nightfall it was really a cold ride. I agree with the others that say Crater Lake should not be missed.

Back