Thread: Fork seal -- from the top or from the bottom

Fork seal -- from the top or from the bottom

I have to replace the fork shaft seal on my 2004 R1150RT. I've searched the forum but have not found an answer to the following question.

Should I pull the fork slider off the stanchion (from the bottom)? Or should I remove the stanchion at the top and pull it out of the fork slider (from the top)?

In either case should I expect to replace anything except the seals and the fork oil? I don't have a service manual for this procedure.

Thanks to someone with experience.

Did you find this in your search?

Fork seal replacement

Replace the dust seals at the same time so you need 4 parts total to do both sides.
    Mike Marr
    1978 Yamaha XS750 (Needs rings), 1996 BMW R1100RS, 2004 Honda CRF230F

Quote Originally Posted by bmwdah View Post
    I don't have a service manual for this procedure.
    if you're planning on doing any amount of maintenace/repari at all, you really should just bikte the bullet and get this:
    http://www.amazon.com/CLYMER-MANUAL-...5952507&sr=8-2
    easily worth it in the long run.
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

Mike -- Thanks Yes I've seen that thread but questioned its validity re: R1150RT. Do you know if there are any significant procedure differences between the R1100RT and the late model R1150RT procedure?

Bikerfish -- Thanks and I don't hesitate to buy a service manual. I've seen this one advertised but questioned its worth -- can one manual cover models 850 to 1200 for years 93 to 05 and still provide much more than general info? Any suggestions on where to get one specific to the R1150RT bike?

The Clymer's is the one you want. It thoroughly covers the differences between models, when there are diffs. For most operations-including fork seals- the biggest diffs will be around stripping body work. BMW does not reinvent the wheel for each model the way the Big4 do.

Front end is pretty much identical between all the R11xx oilers- most notable differences happen up in the handlebars area.
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots