• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Transmission Shifting Issue

I

imdavida

2004 R1150RT / 40K miles. Experiencing shifting issues

I returned last night from a 450 trip over the weekend. While shifting from 5th to 6th gear, I could not get it to shift. I tried it again and it worked. I am now experiencing intermittent trouble shifting down through all gears, although not it does not seem to be consistent. Up-shifting doesn't really seem to have any issues that I can tell. Down-shifting seems primarily to be more problematic in the 5th/6th gear. Clutch fluid shows no bubble; completely full. Also, when on the center stand, shifting gears briefly engages the transmission (the rear wheel turns) even with the clutch pulled in.

No dripping, whining noises, or any other unusual things observed.

What do these symptoms indicate? Thanks for the input.

Have you looked at the shift linkage? Located behind the left foot plate at the end of the shifter is the linkage. It's easier to remove the foot plate and clean, examine and lubricate the linkage. While you're in there you'll have to remove the attachment bolts of the linkage. Make sure on reassembly that they are secured to the plate.

Last edited:
Back