• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

How do I disable the locking gas cap?

Trying to cut down on time unlocking it @ every fuel stop, especially during Ironbutt events. I read that another beemer rider did this but he was riding a GS.

for the 4.28 seconds it takes to get the key out of the ignition (seriously, i went out and timed myself!), into the gas cap & unlocked, and then x2 to return the key to the ignition; do you really think you're going to be cutting things so close that those 10 seconds (rounding up) per fill-up is really going to matter? on your RT, with a 200+ mile range, that could be 5 fillups per 1K day- 50 seconds per day?
if so, be sure that you're catheter is properly sterilized, and that your IV drip for nutrition is secured safely as well. :laugh

I'm going to have to agree on that one. when I stop I remove the key from the ign. , unlock the gas cap and return the key to the Ign. all in one smooth move. you don't need the key to lock the gas cap.:bolt

Steve, I'm with you. I hate having to unlock my fuel cap. Post some info when you find it,

On a related note: if I remove all the screws from the filler cap, can I rotate it 180 degrees? Would be way easier to fill the tank on my R12RT if the filler cap opened toward the front. Would anything fall into the tank with all the screws removed? Is this as simple as it seems or am I missing something?:scratch

I also wish it could be a done. My airhead doesn't need a key and it is very handy as it was on many of my UMJs.

Would it be unreasonable to get a second key cut (maybe one with a fold over head) and leave it in the tank while in transit?

Some IBA members I know keep the spare key in the gas tank, folded over and covered by the tank bag.

YMMV

I also wish it could be a done. My airhead doesn't need a key and it is very handy as it was on many of my UMJs.

i found the "having to place the cap somewhere" routine usually took longer than the "open it with a key" one on the oilhead. i also once left an airhead gas cap on top of a pump somewhere in northern california and only remembered it 30 miles down the road.:laugh

i found the "having to place the cap somewhere" routine usually took longer than the "open it with a key" one on the oilhead. i also once left an airhead gas cap on top of a pump somewhere in northern california and only remembered it 30 miles down the road.:laugh

Humboldt County??

On a related note: if I remove all the screws from the filler cap, can I rotate it 180 degrees? Would be way easier to fill the tank on my R12RT if the filler cap opened toward the front. Would anything fall into the tank with all the screws removed? Is this as simple as it seems or am I missing something?:scratch

I did this on my R1200RT Unscrew it to check, but what I had to do to make it work was to grind the plastic center piece so it would turn around. I took the plastic off & did it on the work bench. I used a Roto-ZIP & it was less than totally easy, but not hard. the plastic kind of melts. Take your cap off & you will see what needs to be done, I think the 1150 is similar, though the plastic is different.

I just sit mine near the speedometer and I never forget it. I had a Honda or two that had a button on the flip up cap that worked well with locking it optional.

disable gas tank lock

TO STEVE: If you can open the gas tank cover. The lock core can be removed form the back side. The waffers and springs can be removed so any key that fits the keyway will open the gas cap. Keep small parts and you can rekey the lock if it opens and sucks air or splashs gass.

One thing to look for on the oilheads is the little vent hole to take water away from the upper ring area...it lines up with the hole in the inner plate and is one of the small hoses you deal with when removing the fuel pump plate.
Don't deal with that right and you always have water ready to fall into your filler neck when in wet environs:whistle

Last edited:
I was going to mention to watch the breather hole as well, don't think you can reverse it that easily without modification. As to the "keyless" question, I don't know that I would want a spare key in the cap or a chance that the cap pops open on its own while riding. I have an Exxon SpeedPass fob on my keyring anyway. I pull up to the pump, turn engine off, unlock gas cap, touch SpeedPass to the pump display, place it back in the ignition, decline the carwash & receipt, and fill'er up. Takes all of about 3 second (not including the fill up) and I don't even get off the bike or take off any equipment (I know, I SHOULD get off the bike but I don't). Just my .02 ...

Back