• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Spydering

Thank you. I have to play a bit with the suspension. The front shocks are set at the minimum resistance, which I believe allows it to dive a bit much into corners. Other than that, suggested body position on corners and curves are a "?" for me. I'd appreciate thoughts on that.

The only thing I really find lacking is the absence of a hand brake. An aftermarket one is available and may be an addition in the near future. I believe it was one of your writings that suggested covering the brake lever when unsure of what might happen ahead, and that has become a habit that I would like to keep!

I have fabricated a cable-operated hand brake lever. Like yourself, I have years of reaching subconsciously for that front brake lever, and it's too much of a shock for me to reach and not find one. I normally use both brakes when stopping, but a front lever also is useful for pushing the rig around, loading on a trailer, etc. when it's not practical to use the foot brake.

In my system, an aftermarket brake lever pulls a cable (from a jet ski or quad or something) that actuates a bell crank down at the rear of the pedal. A (welded on) boss on the brake lever simply allows the hand brake to apply the foot pedal--avoiding any hydraulic tie-in to the dual master cylinder/ABS.

In normal use, I'll reach for both brakes, apply the front, and then for additional stopping power, apply the foot brake. The "front" lever will apply about 50% of the braking from the foot pedal. The foot is stronger than the hand.

I know there are aftermarket firms making the handbrake. Curiously enough, I heard that DOT regulations make it illegal to sell a trike with a front brake lever, which would explain why BRP doesn't offer one as an accessory. So far, the majority of Spyder buyers are those with no motorcycle experience, so they wouldn't notice the "missing" front brake lever.

pmdave

On the homeward journey from the International rally at Redmond, OR, I led a small group of riders north via Forest Service roads up the east side of Mt. St. Helens. Paul and Voni Glaves took lots of photos. To my pleasure, the weather was sunny and warm, although Windy Ridge lived up to it's name.

The Forest Service roads in this area are very twisty, which makes them a lot of fun for bikes, but somewhat of a workout for trikes and hacks. Passing wallowing cars is a lot of fun, but I couldn't hang with a well-ridden bike, even in aggressive mode. OK, I've got a bad leg that makes hanging off less than fun, but I attempted to close on a rider on what looked like a KLR. I caught up, but then he realized the game, cranked up a few knots, and disappeared. OK, I was getting beat anyway.

When I commented to Paul that mile-for-mile a three wheeler requires about twice the energy level, he commented, "that didn't seem to be holding you up much." Paul also noted that there are easy 300-mile days and not-so-easy 300-mile days, and that day certainly wasn't one of the easy ones.

This is to say that a trike driver can participate in a ride with others on bikes, without necessarily holding anyone up. But if it's a twisty road you'll be twice as tired as the others by nightfall.

I'm headed for the SoundRider! rally in the Columbia Gorge on Thursday. I think I'll stick to the superslab and treat my aging muscles to a break.

pmdave

Hey pmdave,

Just wanted to say what a wonderful source of information you have been to thousands of us. I have all your books (as well as others) in my bathroom and pick them up every day. I was at the Redmund rally and your "coffee with Dave" and seminars are every bit as compelling as at the last Redmund rally which I also attended.

I believe you, better than all the other writers/riders I've read, capture the knowledge and things you have to practice to ride as safely as possible while still realizing the special fun there is in riding a motorcyle. Or one of the three wheeled vehicles which, at age 63, I haven't yet graduated to.

One of your qualities which I believe has been inadequately celebrated is the absolute clarity of your writing. (Google WilliamGTapply.com and click on "invisible writing." See if what this mystery/outdoor writer says about writing doesn't ring a bell when you read David Hough's books - or his posts.)

So, just another big "thanks." I hope you are still motoring down the road with your helmet on when you are 90.

I very much appreciate your kind and generous comments, especially right NOW.

Last Saturday, during the Sound rider rally in the columbia Gorge, I managed to endo another rider's newTriumph sportbike. A truck ahead of me suddenly slowed, apparently with no brake lights. I overbraked, did two or three stoppies, and thern a forward flip.

My Aerostich gear did it's job very well, but I dislocated all four fingers on my right hand, which required surgery Sat night at Providence in Hood River, OR.
The Soundrider crew brought me home Sunday.

So, I'm recouperating, and your boiuyant messages are great medicine right now.

I can't do much with my hands, so I'll be "offline" for a while.

pmdave

Attachments

• hands 01.jpg
    hands 01.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 582
Both hands! You are going to learn who your true friends are.

I am hoping you make a complete recovery, and enjoy riding again.

Rod

Indeed, best wishes for a speedy and full recovery. So sorry to hear of the flip. Your writings are what always come back to me when I think about how to ride safely, defensively, intelligently. Thanks for all your writings. And thanks for this thread, which prompted me to get a Spyder. We just finished 1,900 trouble free miles through the Finger Lakes and the RA in VT - all thanks to you!

Wishing you a speedy and pain free recovery.

Could this be the beginning of your next book, Stunt Riding, Chapter One: The Stoppie?

Dave,
I, too, am one of your fans, and I recently went from a '93 GSPD to an F650GS. Thank God for the ABS system! The difference in braking power is amazing. So far, I've locked the front wheel twice on gravel when the ABS was off. I can well understand what happened to you; strange bike with good brakes and a sudden event kinda teamed up on you.

I hope you heal fast 'cause I want to hear what lessons we should take away from this experience of yours. You could make a good case for hiring a cute temp, ya know.:)

Tom

Dave,

Long time reader, first time fan mailer. Your teachings have helped save my bacon more than once and I thank you.

I look forward to the snipet about David on a borrowed bike. This is just another lesson all of us can learn from, that being, even the most "Proficient Motorcyclist" can not predict everything.

Wishing you all the best for a speedy full recovery.:thumb

Michael aka, Therealbatman or "Godfather"

Heal well, heal fast Dave. I really enjoy your articles in the many magazines you write for. Just got the new BMW Magazine today, so another great article "What Makes It Turn" shall soon be read.

Oh Man, Dave. That is just awful news. Thank God you weren't hurt any worse.

Wishes for a fast recovery. :hug

Back