• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Spydering

I am thinking of switching to a Spyder for a number of reasons, some associated with age, my 1150R has ABS as concession to time. I tested the Spyder 2x and most liken it to when I rode snowmobiles but with a bit more traction

My friend Kurt Bihler, from Joliet, sold his K12GT,after buying his Spyder.Said each time he'd be going for a ride,he'd take the Spyder,much more fun. He has over 20,000 miles on it now,and says he will buy another,when he's ready for another fun type vehicle. He told me how some young squids were trying to lose him on the Tail of the Dragon,but they could not shake him.
Here's a pic of him explaining the controls to Ardys,when we were at the Branson Blitz. I took it out for a blast,and it does make you grin.:ha

Attachments

• IMG_1805_640x480.JPG
    IMG_1805_640x480.JPG
    84.2 KB · Views: 242
Last edited:
Dyed-in-the-wool motorcyclists who have never expanded their knowledge beyond two wheels often approach the idea of a three-wheeler as if it would take all the fun out of riding. That may be because so many equate fun with aggressive cornering--with the bike leaned over to adrenaline-pumping traction limits. A big part of the reality is that most of the time, even on a bike, we're riding more-or-less straight roads.

More to the point, there are things in life that are "fun" other than leaning around corners. IMHO, drifting a rig or trike around a corner is just as much fun, expecially if the vehicle gives me more confidence to poke at the envelope without unreasonable risks. Hacking or triking may be more "fun" than if I were riding aggressively but constantly concerned about punching through the narrower limits and having to deal with the huge aftermath of a little error. I took up sidecars years ago, well before my body began to announce that it wasn't going to put up with the same old stuff anymore. So, I've enjoyed the fun of hacking not because I was forced to give up bikes, but because hacks are tremendously enjoyable. I still own and ride a two wheeler in addition to the sidecar rig and Spyder.

It's not quite that simple, of course. Those of us who are pushing up into our old age are finding our leg strength, sense of balance, vision, etc. are less reliable. We know the odds all too well, and we've seen too many hazards to have continuing confidence that we can beat the odds again today on a bike. Maybe we've had a nasty crash or two, and were shocked at the pain and expense. Those who just continue riding the same bike, say a K12LT or R1200RS, may find it easier and easier to find excuses to NOT take the ride today.

A sidecar outfit or trike adds a huge measure of confidence that we can beat the odds, not just of having a collision, but of not dropping the bike in the parking lot in front of our friends, or being passed because we're seen as being too cautious. One of the great advantages of belonging to the BMW fraternaty is that BMW riders tend to have the maturity to understand that trikes and rigs are a legitimate part of motorcycling, even if anyone chooses to not get into a three-wheeler. I don't look down my nose at riders who simply give up motorcycling when the odds seem too high, or the fun seems too low. I do look down my nose at people who run down any type of vehicle without knowing anything about them.

Yes, a three-wheeler takes more skill to drive than a bike, and a sidecar rig takes even more skill because it's not symmetrical. Imagine all the knowledge and skill you absorbed to learn how to ride a two-wheeler proficiently, and double that for a three-wheeler.

I don't see that as a negative. I see it as a positive that I have skills and knowledge in addition to that required for two wheelers.

pmdave

pmdave,
I think this is a very compelling post. Would you mind if I quoted from this post in some Spyder forums?

Dan,

Feel free to post this anywhere you wish. Sorry I havn't had time to monitor the Spyder forums. So far, I'm thinking of myself as a BMW rider who sometimes drives a Spyder, rather than a Spyder owner who sometimes goes to BMW events.

For those who are not familiar with the social part of owning a Spyder, BRP has been developing various Spyder events, including an annual "gathering" that is open and free to any Spyder owner. In that regard, BRP has been much more active in promoting Spyder events than any other manufacturer. BMW puts on the dog for journalists at new bike intros, but apparently can't--or doesn't see a purpose in--supporting BMW owner events.

However, so far I continue to focus on those BMW enthusiast events that I'm able to get to. I'm not planning to attend the big Spyder get-together this year. However, now I'm wondering if I would get as good a reception showing up at a Spyder event riding a BMW, as I've received showing up at a BMW event driving a Spyder.

For the further education of those who are just now starting to think about a trike, perhaps it would be helpful to provide some Spyder links.

pmdave

For the further education of those who are just now starting to think about a trike, perhaps it would be helpful to provide some Spyder links.

pmdave

Thanks for the permission.

It was interesting to see on the Spyder forums, as is often the case on this forum, that there were many negative posts complaining about build quality and especially about customer service from BRP (Bombardier Recreational Products). It all sounded so familiar. But there are also many posts sharing knowledge, ride reports, etc.

In any event, the two forums I have visited so far include Spyder Lovers at www.spyderlovers.com and Spyder Talk at www.spydertalk.com.

The site for the manufacturer is: http://spyder.brp.com/en-US/

Dyed-in-the-wool motorcyclists who have never expanded their knowledge beyond two wheels often approach the idea of a three-wheeler as if it would take all the fun out of riding. That may be because so many equate fun with aggressive cornering--with the bike leaned over to adrenaline-pumping traction limits. A big part of the reality is that most of the time, even on a bike, we're riding more-or-less straight roads.

More to the point, there are things in life that are "fun" other than leaning around corners. IMHO, drifting a rig or trike around a corner is just as much fun, expecially if the vehicle gives me more confidence to poke at the envelope without unreasonable risks. Hacking or triking may be more "fun" than if I were riding aggressively but constantly concerned about punching through the narrower limits and having to deal with the huge aftermath of a little error. I took up sidecars years ago, well before my body began to announce that it wasn't going to put up with the same old stuff anymore. So, I've enjoyed the fun of hacking not because I was forced to give up bikes, but because hacks are tremendously enjoyable. I still own and ride a two wheeler in addition to the sidecar rig and Spyder.

It's not quite that simple, of course. Those of us who are pushing up into our old age are finding our leg strength, sense of balance, vision, etc. are less reliable. We know the odds all too well, and we've seen too many hazards to have continuing confidence that we can beat the odds again today on a bike. Maybe we've had a nasty crash or two, and were shocked at the pain and expense. Those who just continue riding the same bike, say a K12LT or R1200RS, may find it easier and easier to find excuses to NOT take the ride today.

A sidecar outfit or trike adds a huge measure of confidence that we can beat the odds, not just of having a collision, but of not dropping the bike in the parking lot in front of our friends, or being passed because we're seen as being too cautious. One of the great advantages of belonging to the BMW fraternaty is that BMW riders tend to have the maturity to understand that trikes and rigs are a legitimate part of motorcycling, even if anyone chooses to not get into a three-wheeler. I don't look down my nose at riders who simply give up motorcycling when the odds seem too high, or the fun seems too low. I do look down my nose at people who run down any type of vehicle without knowing anything about them.

Yes, a three-wheeler takes more skill to drive than a bike, and a sidecar rig takes even more skill because it's not symmetrical. Imagine all the knowledge and skill you absorbed to learn how to ride a two-wheeler proficiently, and double that for a three-wheeler.

I don't see that as a negative. I see it as a positive that I have skills and knowledge in addition to that required for two wheelers.

pmdave

I'd be interested if the new MSF's 3BRC will incorporate 'Flying the Chair' skill for hacks..IMO..it would be comparable to stall skills in aircraft licensing..knowing ones capabilities and short comings is in essential in surviving...

Regards,

Clay
Kimberton,Pa.

I haven't seen the MSF's 3BRC, but I suspect it will be focused on trikes, since both H-D and BRP are marketing trikes. For whatever reason, H-D has never really tried to push their sidecar rigs, which I suspect are seen as primarily for police use. However, H-D is marketing their trikes through dealers.

If anyone has the opportunity to take the 3BRC, it would be great to get some feedback.

I don't know anyone in "sidecar land" who has been consulted by the MSF, and I don't know of anyone at MSF with sidecar experience. So, I'd assume they will have ripped off whatever they felt of interest from the S/TEP, as colored by their lack of sidecar knowledge.

I know that a lot of Spyder owners are people with no prior motorcycling experience, so I suspect that the complaints may be a matter of people not understanding the realities of motorcycle dealerships--compared to auto dealerships. Perhaps the majority of Spyder owners think of the Spyder as a three-wheeled car rather than a motorcycle.

I had some minor issues with starting, and the dealer tech worked with me to solve them. Part of the problem was my not understanding the button pushing drill. Part was a faulty relay. Every new vehicle is likely to have one or two small problems, but with a Spyder it's unlikely you'll have a dealer just around the corner. That can lead to some frustrations, and I'm sure a non-motorcyclist will be more frustrated than someone who has already had experience with motorcycle shops and their prevailing attitude that motorcycles are recreational vehicles, not primary transportation.

pmdave

We added a blue Spyder RT-S to the stable yesterday. Been on the road since then! :)

Attachments

• P1000160sm.jpg
    P1000160sm.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 246
I tried a Spyder at Americade in 2007. I had been riding a 2003 Honda Silver Wing for a year and was a little leery about taking a manual shift out for a test ride. The bike I rode that day was a prototype and I don't think it had power assisted steering. I found I really had to crank on the handlebars to get it to turn plus the ride leader took us down some very narrow black top roads. I had trouble keeping my eyes off of the out side of the lane. Sure enough I stalled at the first stop sign, the sweeper came up alongside me and told me to just keep it in third which I did. The bike pulled away from the stop like it was an automatic. I think I'll have to try one of the new ones before I decide whether or not I like them. I still want to try this bike out:

http://www.thebikergene.com/scooters/gilera-fuoco-the-piaggio-mp3-on-steroids/

I have a friend who tried one a couple of years ago and he says that everything that had been said about the stability of the bike in sandy corners, uneven surfaces and in the wet were true. Besides, it leans. The Spyder doesn't and neither does a hack. I'll have to try both. I just might get a chance at this event:

http://www.sidecar.com/rally.asp

To try a sidecar rig out. I've seen them at club rides and they look like a lot of fun.

WHOOPS! I just reread that quote.

However, now I'm wondering if I would get as good a reception showing up at a Spyder event riding a BMW, as I've received showing up at a BMW event driving a Spyder...

pmdave

There was a Spyder that showed up at our Green Mountain Rally last year at Camp Thorpe. It was ridden by a woman from Quebec. Most everyone seemed interested and were very impressed by the reverse gear and the general layout of the bike. Ours is a low "Attitude" club so your mileage may vary.

If you have any questioins or issues with the new Spyder, feel free to ask.

pmdave
Thank you. I have to play a bit with the suspension. The front shocks are set at the minimum resistance, which I believe allows it to dive a bit much into corners. Other than that, suggested body position on corners and curves are a "?" for me. I'd appreciate thoughts on that.

The only thing I really find lacking is the absence of a hand brake. An aftermarket one is available and may be an addition in the near future. I believe it was one of your writings that suggested covering the brake lever when unsure of what might happen ahead, and that has become a habit that I would like to keep!

For all those of you who are relatively close to Ohio and are not going to the MOA rally in Oregon: This weekend - July 9-11 - is again Motorcycle Vintage Days at the Mid-Ohio race track in Lexington. CanAm will be there with a fleet of Spyders to offer demo-rides.

Must-resist-the-urge to not be nice.

That is a challenge!

It is not a brand thing, I love all brands of motorcycles

I'm home from the MOA rally at Redmond.

I was not surprised by the friendly reception to Sparky by the BMW riders at the rally. What did surprise me is how many riders in my age group (70+) came up to ask specific questions about Sparky. Obviously, I'm not the only vintage rider who has concerns about balance, leg strength, ankle function, etc.

Based on the questions I fielded at the rally, I wouldn't be amazed to see more Spyders at future MOA events.

And I know that we old farts also appreciate the acceptance of trikes--if not any desire to own one personally. I suspect that a BMW bike rider at a Can Am rally wouldn't get as friendly a reception.

pmdave:wave

Back