• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Marks from rotor bolts

T

tourist

Just replaced my tires on my '10 k1300gt and saw this mark, one on each side. It appears to the same level as the bolts that hold the rotor plate onto the wheel.

Is this normal? I see nothing loose and there is clearance between the area on both sides. I can imagine it making marks if there is some kind of flexing going on.

P6020220.JPG

Don't know if its normal, just now have my K1300S wheels of and did not notice anything similar, but did not look, will do so when I remount tomorrow. Is there any corresponding mark on the rotor carrier bolts? It looks oversized for a mark from the carrier bolt. From the pic, I can't tell if there are any striations in a curved pattern which would I would expect if caused by the carrier bolts.

I don't see any marks on any of the bolts and I don't real see any striations from the bolt unless they are really fine. The mark on the other side is about half that size. The top portion of the marks are deeper than the bottom portion. It really doesn't look like it would be caused by the bolts but that is the location.

I have those same marks on my forks. Another interesting thing I was noticing is that there is a larger space between the fork and the wheel on one side than there is on the other. One would think that the wheel would be centered between the forks. I just had new tires installed at the dealer a few weeks ago. You would think anything abnormal would have been brought to my attention.

Attachments

• IMG_2474.jpg
    IMG_2474.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 54
Throttle side spacing.

Attachments

• IMG_2476.jpg
    IMG_2476.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 53
Clutch side spacing.

Attachments

• IMG_2477.jpg
    IMG_2477.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 53
dmmwam, I noticed the same thing about the spacing but the center of the tire looked centered so I stopped thinking about it.

Finally got to slap my wheels back on without any rain.....I did check and my rider's left fork leg on the 1300S also has such a spot. Exact same level as the carrier bolts, but no way they could ever reach it. No curved striations from contact. It appears that it was a factory grind, smaller than yours and only on the one side. My wheels also appear slightly offset at the hub, but the rim appears centered. Certainly tracks fine. I have no worries on that.

Back