• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

New forum

Down hill

Sidecars are a down hill/slippery slope. The saying of "once you go hack you won't go back" is not a joke/play on words. I have a Ural Troyka and keep thinking about doing another rig set up on the RT.

The one thing I recommend for the prospective sidecar buyer/driver would be training even if it consisted of just reading the book(s) by David Hough.

Oh, yeah! Sidecars are not for the introverted, they draw the attention:kiss

Sidecars are a down hill/slippery slope. The saying of "once you go hack you won't go back" is not a joke/play on words. I have a Ural Troyka and keep thinking about doing another rig set up on the RT.

The one thing I recommend for the prospective sidecar buyer/driver would be training even if it consisted of just reading the book(s) by David Hough.

Oh, yeah! Sidecars are not for the introverted, they draw the attention:kiss

That is true. Little kids always waved when I was riding my sidecar rig. The same is not true when riding any of my motorcycles.

Bikes with sidecar rigs are what the Ride For Kids always needs to shuttle the kids around on ride day... Please volunteer for your local ride!! We never have enough!!:thumb

Right on! A sidecar forum! Thanks everyone who voted for this.
As for not being an introvert...you got that right.
Consider the 'kid' factor.
I ride my rig alone, people notice. I ride with on child in the tub, I get smiles and a few waves. Two children in the tub generates laughter, pointing, wild waving, etc.
Apparently a dog generates the same effect.

I'm a fan

I don't have a side car but I rode in one!

This past Easter we had dinner at my brother-in-laws house. After Kevin and I went to the garage to mess around with his new rig. It is a 1983 AMF sportster btw. The color of it and the hack are called root beer.

I was first to go for a ride. I decided to break my ATGATT rule for this ride (save the beating for later please). I put on the whole black and orange costume, crome rimmed goggles, one of those non-DOT bucket helmets complete with iron cross, "fear no beer" & "No bar to far" stickers. I looked sweet! Actually rediculous but it was so funny that everyone went for a ride including my Kids, wife, his wife and my mother.

You can not contain the smiles while you are riding in one.

Non-model specific discussions about sidecars and trikes

The footer reads, "Non-model specific discussions about sidecars and trikes"

Just curious, why "non-model" (brand)? There are a ton of chairs, trikes, and trailers out there and comparing notes would be helpful.

The footer reads, "Non-model specific discussions about sidecars and trikes"

Just curious, why "non-model" (brand)? There are a ton of chairs, trikes, and trailers out there and comparing notes would be helpful.

That means any model/brand. The mods did not want to confuse bike model specific questions from the other tech sections (oilhead, airhead, k brick, etc.).

As far as trailers, they are a different cat from sidecar/trike and we thought for now to keep it simple. People can always discuss trailers in the general gear section since they are more accessory and not part of the core machine.

As far as trailers, they are a different cat from sidecar/trike and we thought for now to keep it simple. People can always discuss trailers in the general gear section since they are more accessory and not part of the core machine.

Sounds fair to me...

Thanks for the extra room... :brad
Hopefully it'll spur even more interest.

OK! Glad to see this finally happen. Now we sidecar nuts--er "enthusiasts" can go to one section and not have to drift around so much.

When I'm at a rally with my sidecar rig, I make a point of offering a ride to one of the non-motorcyclist vendors, such as someone who is preparing rally food. Often they will accept, and when we return from a short ride, all the other workers will be waiting with huge grins.

For whatever reason, non-motorcyclists don't see a sidecar as being "dangerous" or "threatening" like they assume about a two-wheeler. But after a ride, I ask how they feel about being a "biker" now.

At the Bee Cee Beemers rally at Nakusp, BC, for several years the sidecarists have taken the residents of a local retirement "home" for sidecar rides. For some, this is the highlight of their year.

Several years ago, I had my outfit there, and by chance happened to be first in line. I hadn't done the "circuit" around town before, so the helpers got one of the women into the sidecar and a helmet strapped on, and off we went. When I got to the other end of town, I started making a circle to go back. The woman tapped my on the leg and announced "I was expecting the WHOLE ride." I asked where the "whole ride" went, and she pointed out the route, up the hill, onto the highway, and back through town from the other end. I think She was 103.

This was last year. I'm not sure who the passenger is.

pmdave

Attachments

• Halcyon Home 01.jpg
    Halcyon Home 01.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 66
OK! Glad to see this finally happen. Now we sidecar nuts--er "enthusiasts" can go to one section and not have to drift around so much.

When I'm at a rally with my sidecar rig, I make a point of offering a ride to one of the non-motorcyclist vendors, such as someone who is preparing rally food. Often they will accept, and when we return from a short ride, all the other workers will be waiting with huge grins.

For whatever reason, non-motorcyclists don't see a sidecar as being "dangerous" or "threatening" like they assume about a two-wheeler. But after a ride, I ask how they feel about being a "biker" now.

At the Bee Cee Beemers rally at Nakusp, BC, for several years the sidecarists have taken the residents of a local retirement "home" for sidecar rides. For some, this is the highlight of their year.

Several years ago, I had my outfit there, and by chance happened to be first in line. I hadn't done the "circuit" around town before, so the helpers got one of the women into the sidecar and a helmet strapped on, and off we went. When I got to the other end of town, I started making a circle to go back. The woman tapped my on the leg and announced "I was expecting the WHOLE ride." I asked where the "whole ride" went, and she pointed out the route, up the hill, onto the highway, and back through town from the other end. I think She was 103.

This was last year. I'm not sure who the passenger is.

pmdave

Great post!

My dog made me subscribe to this thread.:dog

Mine did too!...

530235442_jRqGm-M.jpg

Ara & Spirit

Back