• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Anyone taken a Dog cross country on an MC

TZOLK

What we're (me + oldlady)planning on doing is when we go on our 26-28 day vacation next fall from Michigan to Idaho & Canada and back is to put the Yorkie in a travel cage which takes up about half of the rack on the gspd. Does anyone have any experience with this stunt?
Hate to leave the little guy while we are out moto-touring. Im curious as to the noise and elements he may be subjected to.

We saw this set up at the Beemer Bash... German Bike, German Dog.
IMG_0184.JPG

Tank bag Teddy

TZ, have you thought about rigging up a tank bag for him? Here is a shot of our Yorkie about to go on his first BMW ride. The complete story is in the August 2004 issue of BMW ON. I can also send you (by private e-mail) more detailed pictures and descriptions of setting up the bag so that your "best friend" is safe on the tank.

Attachments

• First BMW ride 03cmp1.jpg
    First BMW ride 03cmp1.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 131
Ah Yes, I remember reading your article. That idea has come up but our little guy is the 9-10 pounder variety (a few away from being a porkie yorkie)and although he would probably just fit into something he would have no room to wiggle. How big is your pup? And have you been on anymore adventures?

Attachments

• HAUS PICS 050.jpg
    HAUS PICS 050.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 129
My dogs, a Newfoundland and a Great Pyrenees, are a lot bigger so I just let them ride on the back.

just kidding ;)

Rots of Ruck!

I met this burly truck driver once with a Yorkie on his arm. We visited somewhat about him wanting a dog to keep him company in the cab of his semi. He had a bulldog but the dog developed kidney problems, a doberman was too haevy to lift into the truck. I asked him how the Yorkie was working out. The trucker looked down at this 6 or 7 pound dog then me straight in the eye and said "You and five other guys aren't tough enough to get his dog into my cab!" I let it go at that and figured that was one tough dog.

Teddy is a light weight. . .

. . . at a whopping 6 pounds. Has plenty of room to lay down when the wind gets to be a little too much. He will normally sit up and look around up to at least 55mph. After that he is sort of up and down. A long low-profile tankbag should be plenty big enough for your 10 pound pooch. My brother has a 12 pounder that looks like he might fit the bag although a bit tight laying down.

Fritz said:
I met this burly truck driver once with a Yorkie on his arm. We visited somewhat about him wanting a dog to keep him company in the cab of his semi. He had a bulldog but the dog developed kidney problems, a doberman was too haevy to lift into the truck. I asked him how the Yorkie was working out. The trucker looked down at this 6 or 7 pound dog then me straight in the eye and said "You and five other guys aren't tough enough to get his dog into my cab!" I let it go at that and figured that was one tough dog.

Thats Funny!!

Dogs

Zolk
I have 2 jack russel terrorists that I put in a bicycle trailer and use as training weights. (in Portland everything is normal). The dig it, they jump into it and spin and spat until I get going. I am sure your terrier would love to travel w/ you. I saw a tail pack dog kennel advertised in Rider Jan 05. Their web page is www.road-hound.com There are dog goggles that may run past the red zone on the "cute meter" but the need to protect dog eyes is quite valid. The product is called doggles.
See ya
Bob

Attachments

• Img60[1].gif
    Img60[1].gif
    38.4 KB · Views: 53
If you have room for a pillion mount try : http://beastriders.com/

Had one on my R90/6 with a rear rack and backrest...worked great w/60lb. Border collie / doberman mix. They need some rear support (sissy bar ) but my backrest slid back and forth to adjust and could be pulled entirely out to remove. I custom bent some stainless tubing of proper O.D. to slide in it's place, kind of a removable sissy bar if you will.

Tim

Back