Thread: Installed Kisan, looking for brake light wire in fuse box

Installed Kisan, looking for brake light wire in fuse box

Hi,

I've installed a Kisan SM-5 on my 99 RT and it's great. Very simple to instaqll and the documentation was very easy to follow. Now I've got running lights and self canceling turn signals. One feature I still need to get working is the brake override. This function allows the turn signal "canceling" feature to be suspended while you have the brakes on. Once you release the brakes, the timer resumes. In order to make this work you have to tap into the brake light wire with a very simple tap splice and run the supplied wire back to the Kisan unit.

Here's my question. Since the Kisan unit replaces the standard flasher and it's located in the fuse box, I'd like to find a brake light wire to tap into which is already in the fuse box area so I don't have to run a wire out of the box. Is there a brake light wire easily located within the fuse box?

Thanks and Happy Holidays!
    Scott

ABC,AMA(LIFE),MOA,RA,IBMW MANICMECHANIC's Avatar
    On my '96 GS I found it was easier to find the wire in the bundle going to the taillight assembly. Just cut back some of the tape and probe with your test light or a meter. Then you can run the sensing wire back to the fusebox, tape up the whole thing and be weatherproof. I'd tell you what color wire to look for, but it's dark outside right now.
    F.O.G.Rider, Rounder #6,
    Ambassador, WI Airmarshal
    BMWRA Wisconsin Region Rep

Yes, the brake light wire is right there in the fuse box. In fact, on my 2002 R1150RS, it was available directly underneath the slot the Kisan unit fits into.

The wire is gray with a yellow stripe. It's mentioned in the Kisan manual (which could have been better organized, and could have had the various functions better described, if you ask me). It's exposed with a bunch of other wires that are running from one bundle to another.

Unfortunately, there is almost zero slack in the wire. I don't have the thinnest fingers, and it was a tedious job to snag the wire from among the many in the bundle, pull it up to the top of the fuse box (about as far as it would go), and then get the supplied wire clip around it and snapped.

Take it easy and work patiently on it, is my only advice.

Note that you'll probably want to get the red wire with the round lug inserted into the clip before you put the clip on the brake wire. Once you make the brake wire connection, you won't have a lot of leverage on the clip, to get the lug inserted.

Good luck!
    --Darryl Richman, forum liaison
    http://darryl.crafty-fox.com

Ah, so it is in the fuse box somewhere! Thanks for the heads-up. Would one end of the wire be heading to a fuse for the brake and tail lights? I'm just trying to get some idea of where to look for it. Using a test light wouldn't I have to puncture the outside of the insulation of the wire in order to make sure I have the right one? I guess if that's the case I may want to sharpen the test light pointer I have. It's been used for a lot of things over the years and it's not the sharpest tool in the shed any longer!

Scott

I don't believe that the wire goes to any fuse in the box. It seems to be heading from one bundle of wires into another bundle (just passing through).

OTOH, I don't have a wiring diagram for the bike and took it on faith that the Kisan directions were correct.
    --Darryl Richman, forum liaison
    http://darryl.crafty-fox.com