• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Birthday tour of lower California (not Baja)

jyambrovich

aka Papa Yams
Hi all,
I finally had the foresight to take a week of vacation in which my birthday occurred. Add the Memorial Day Monday holiday and I get some time on the bike!!

I live very close to the Monterey Bay (south of the San Francisco Bay) so I'm pretty blessed as far as riding roads, conditions, weather etc. Still, we've had a lot of rain this season and the little nubbies were still clinging to the new tires I put on the bike 3 weeks ago. I'm heading to Redmond for the International Rally (my first rally) so I need some practice riding long days with gear packed on the bike. Time for a ROAD TRIP!!

Started on Monday the 24th, paying close attention to the fantastic route suggested by Daryl Richman (thanks Daryl!!) through the Monterey County and San Luis Obispo wine country to end up at my dear friend Sheldon's house in Bakersfield. 340 miles of roads I had (mostly) not ridden before. Nice day!! I've got some pics to share but they'll have to wait until I get home to resize them to attach.

Tuesday May 25 - my birthday!! Woke up to sunshine and friends to share breakfast with. Done with the prelims, it is 9 am so I jump on the bike and head out. Up and over Walker Pass (Hwy 178) and over to Hwy 395. Jump on headed south to my destination - Lakeside CA (outside of San Diego). Take a couple of stops / detours to keep things interesting (scoped out a lake to take the extended family camping with the grandsons) and saw the "airliner boneyard" outside of Mojave. Looks like SFO only in a smaller space!! Also was a HUGE solar-powered electricity generating facility. Skipped the last scheduled detour of the day because my rump is gettin' TENDER. 8 hours and 360 miles, not surprising.

Got to spend my birthday evening with my son Brandon, his beautiful wife Heather and their son Keiren (we call him Little Man #2 because he's our second Grandson). Gosh am I blessed.

Got up this morning, everyone is already gone to work (HEY - this IS my vacation you know). Got myself and the bike fueled up and off I go to visit Mt. Palomar and the Palomar Observatory. Rode up there on S6 (looks like a snake trail on the map) and IT WAS FUN!!! Three squids came roaring around me in an uphill corner (jackass...) and were gone before I could even get much of a look at their bikes (none were SS1000RRs). Spent some time looking at the telescope and absorbing the info. TIME TO GO - getting a little itchy to get back on the bike and head down the mountain along the other road. Also a very nice ride, one I RECOMMEND TO ALL OF YOU!!

Stopped in historic Julian, CA for lunch and to buy one of the famous apple pies from the Julian Pie Co. Can't wait to dive into that one tomorrow.

Time to sign out now - more in a day or two.

Just north and east of you is Hwy 78. Take it east out toward the desert. Head north into Borrego Springs. Take 22 west and up the hill out of the Anza. Stop at the turn outs-what a view! Join up with Hwy 79, Lake Henshaw area. Good riding! Or do it in reverse, either way you'll enjoy it. Your in a wonderful riding area.
BTW, enjoy the family and happy b.d.

Birthday tour continued

Thanks for the tip Samthg.

Today was a "short day" of riding and with all of the possibilities, I thought that I would go to the local experts. First stop, San Diego BMW Motorcycles!

Bought a couple of items, then told the guys that I am visiting from out of town and was looking for a short ride with some twisty roadways and elevation changes. I was met with the response, "How about Hwy 94 toward Jacumbra? Have you ever ridden that before?" No I replied, I've never had the bike down here.

Quickly fade to me headed South and East on Hwy 94, stopping in Potrero at the Hwy 94 Cafe. The lovely Perla was helpful with all of the menu choices and (WARNING) the portions are HUGE. The owner is a sweet lady named Edith (Perla's cousin) and we chatted for a couple of minutes while my burrito was being prepared. The guys at the BMW shop were right - this is the place to stop while out traveling in the San Diego County back country.

I had told my son that I would be back around 2 so I cut my ride a bit short and hit "the 8" heading West back to Lakeside. I was only 20 minutes later than I'd said so that wasn't too bad. Brutal winds out there and the placement of a row of BIG wind turbines was absolutely perfect. I almost got blown off the road, RT and all.

Then I had a little hang-time with my son and spent a bit of time relaxing by the pool. Daughter-in-law got home with the baby and we spent a nice evening together.

Likely going to hold off from riding Friday and Saturday and then do the "express run" back home on Sunday. That will be a long day of riding, lots of miles.

Jay
Thank you for the new tip of Hwy 94. I have not been that far south as of yet...but I think Potrero must have a burrito with my name on it!
Which way will your "express run" take you home? Early Sunday a.m. should be fairly easy to navigate through L.A., if your heading that way... 101N is always a nice ride. Hwy 154 out of Santa Barbara...very nice!
Safe travels to you & enjoy the ride. Sam

Back