Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Bugs that chose your bike or gear as their final resting place

My buddy recently laid out his jacket and pants for an upcoming ride we just completed. The night before, he realized his cats used his pants as a litter box, both #1 and #2!
    Rob C. , Raleigh, NC
    '10 R12RT, R90/6
    2007 CBR600RR & 09 V-Star
    Suzuki DR 350

Brett
    About half way through the Dragon at Deals gap I had a bee inside my helmet he stung me on the chin then I forced my chin out tears rolling down my face and crushed him and continued the ride without pulling over.

Back in the mid-80's I was driving south of Houston in a rental car and ran into a heavy concentration of love bugs. They were so thick that the car antenna looked like it had feathers on it from top to bottom. The front window despite frequent use of wipers and washer fluid had a yellow haze that was only removed by going thru a car wash. My worst encounters on a bike have been with june bugs. they literally are flying stones. Ride Safe

Rally Rat
    Try a good Kansas feed lot. Get a good cattle fly that just tanked up on a pint of good ole Bessie. they can blot out 1/2 Face shield. You learn why they have shut offs for vents. Oh and the small and taste. You can not pull over fast enough. Yet some ride without helmets. I used to carry plastic bags with wet rags to wash face shield. For me the little foil packets of wet wipes, or baby wipes are essential.

Yeech.

June bugs hurt, but have never made me hurl.

Rod

On the Road
    Years ago, in my early road riding days, the wife and I were riding through Zion N.P. when "something" buzzed up my short sleeve shirt(I learned!). My better half proceeded to beat the tar out of my back, where something was pinching me. After pulling over as soon as possible, we found a badly beatin' dead wasp. My back was quickly breaking out in a spider wed formation.
    My nurse quickly fixed me up-Benadryl at the local CVS. I slept like a baby.
    I little off base-but a bug story.

WNY, Further fron NYC, than 6 entire states!
    Quote Originally Posted by RoboRider View Post
    ...........The night before, he realized his cats used his pants as a litter box, both #1 and #2!

So did he bring some fresh home made Chinese food along on the trip????

To remove bugs I soak an old towel in my soap wash bucket then drape the towel over the windshield and front of fairing. Continue to wash the bike and let the bugs soak for a while. Bugs will come off easier after a short soaking.

Also you can use a Bounce fabric softener wet the dryer sheet and use it like a rag to melt bugs away. Use this method all the time on front of our fifth wheel camper.

I have NOT tried the bounce thing on windshield you should test to be sure it doesn’t scratch. I don’t believe it will. Our camper is fiberglass and we have never damaged it.
    R and R

Here is one from a trip many years ago, when I pulled it out, it flew right away.
    Ted
    "A good stick is a good reason"
    1994 K75RT
    Moto Pages

Bees in helmet yes. I got stung pretty good (OK I did not look pretty). What it got me was to go to the front of the line at the emergency room in Moncton, New-Brunswick. Second time happened not to far from home. Looked like I lost a boxing match. I have to remember to keep my visor down.

As for the cat's business. That brings back memories. Our cat got ticked off at me and did a number one in my jacket that was laying in the couch.

One the lighter side. Having a bird strike a helmet is not too pleasant. Happened over twenty years ago but can still visualize it.

When it happens I remember not to panick. Keep control of the bike. Bring it to a safe stop (even if the pain is something else - roadrash from crashing is worse).

Have a great weekend.
    2008 R12RT (Blue)
    1986 R80RT (Silver)

Member of the Loonie-Tics. MOA 292.

Never had a bee in my helmet, but I do know that yellow jackets will fly into the front of a button up shirt and sting the s**t out of you. Junebugs hurt and make a heck of a noise if they hit your helmet. Tweety birds don't hurt, but you'll feel bad about hitting one.

I think butterflies and moths are the worst. They are full of goo that combines with the dust on their wings to nearly cover your face shield.

My buddy recently laid out his jacket and pants for an upcoming ride we just completed. The night before, he realized his cats used his pants as a litter box, both #1 and #2!
    May I recommend he buy a dog next time?

Let's not go there.
    2008 R12RT (Blue)
    1986 R80RT (Silver)

RSPENNACHIO
    I wounder if cat chamois work as well?

Quote Originally Posted by rspennachio View Post
    I wounder if cat chamois work as well?
    Don't forget the tip of the nose for those dried sections...

Funny!
    2008 R12RT (Blue)
    1986 R80RT (Silver)