Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What's Your Instrument?

Former French Hornist here. Had a band scholarship in college and started out as a music major. I wish I had some pictures of the horn strapped to the back of my motorcycle back in the day. I used to commute on my bike in high school and college.
    Sharon
    '07 R1200RT (my favorite!); '12 Yamaha Super Tenere (El Gordo); '07 Suzuki DR650SE (!);
    '59 R 26 (my first)

Currently playing tenor tuba, aka euphonium. Started out as a kid in drum corps. Tried high school band but didn't care for the sloppy performance level. Currently playing in a community band.

BTW, how can you tell the stage is level?

The violist is drooling out of both sides of his mouth!

bwbmw
    I play the musical handsaw!
    (Took piano lessons for several years as a youngster.)

Has two wheels and flies hoffmanswen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rkoreis View Post

BTW, how can you tell the stage is level?

The violist is drooling out of both sides of his mouth!
    That's why I have that napkin under my chin...
    Last edited by hoffmanswen; 05-30-2010 at 01:24 AM. Reason: Edit smiley
    In wine there is wisdom. In beer there is strength. In water there is bacteria. ~David Auerbach

GCTROYER
    Mandolin player here. Tuned the same as a violin, but the people I play with call a violin a fiddle. Ain't nothin like back porch bluegrass to get your feet stompin.

I took 3 guitar lessons in fifth grade and failed miserably, realising this when I couldn't keep up on a 3-chord version of Kumbaya.

Then at age 20 when I was in the army and stationed in Germany, a few friends were trying to start a barracks-band. I was going to be the roadie/repair-guy...until the guitarist decided that he didn't like the one bass-player in our barracks. One day he (the guitarist) spent half an hour pumping my ego up, trying to convince me to take a stab at being the bassist. He talked me into it, and next thing I knew I was up in Stuttgart shopping for a cheep used bass.

I didn't get good enough to play with the guys by the time I transferred back to USA, but I stuck with the bass and eventually wound up playing in two bands during college, even recording a CD with one of them.

BTW, I can't read a note on paper- but I do have an excellent ear for music, and people who know about this stuff say that I have perfect interval-pitch.

It's been years since I've played with other people though. I only practise at all maybe 2 or 3 times a year these days. I'm rusty as hell and have forgotten SO much. My last bar-gig was in 1996, and since then I've played for a total of perhaps 20 minutes in front of church audiences.

I very much miss my band-days, but I don't have time for that these days plus I just don't seem to have the passion to play...my rare practises are just the same old stuff; nothing new or untried is struggling to get out of me.

The last bass I acquired was a really nice high-end Warwick purchased with part of my college graduation gift money, not knowing that I was already done gigging. Gee I wish I'd known! I still have it, but I'm thinking of selling it. It just doesn't get played, and I could use the cash.

I do still have that first bass I bought in Stuttgart 22 years ago. It's a candy-apple-red Aria Pro II, and it's in pretty good shape. I've also got a Fender Performer (an oddball they made in 1987, nothing like most of their basses) and a Kawaii F2B that vaguely resembles an Alembic. I think that overall, the Fender and the Kawai are the ones that work best with my hands. I once had a 500W Carvin stack; now I have an SWR 15" combo- and while it's the smallest amp I've ever had, it's the best-sounding by far.

So I struggle now with whether or not I should tell people I play bass or tell them that I used to play bass...time will tell.
    2012 R1200GS
    "If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's electrical." -somebody's dad
    http://www.thethingaboutcars.com/

I play clarinet and sax. Just wrapped up my 40th season as principal clarinet of the Okanagan Symphony. (Limped to the front of the stage clutching my back to accept my pin - and hoped I wasn't inviting bad karma, as I have had a few back problems.) Mostly I lie and tell people I started in the orchestra when I was 12; a one decade exaggeration.

Also play alto and tenor sax professionally since high school in all kinds of jazz groups and and 8 piece R&B band. (Google Salmonarmenians if you care.)
    Doug
    1992 K100RS

My Ax

Piano's my ax. I've found that age and practice make my playing increasingly worse. I'm still looking for a Steinway that'll fit in a Jesse pannier.

Jim

Harmonica from about age ten. Baritone horn (tenor tuba...?!?) starting in seventh grade and all the way through the All-American Marching Band at Purdue University (1969-'73). Community Orchestra for a few years after graduation.

And then about five years ago I realized that the 10-key diatonic accordion is just a harmonica with a bellows attached to it... so now I have lots of friends, they just never stop by anymore.

Q: What is the definition of a gentleman?
    A: A man who can play the accordion, but doesn't.

Q: What is a perfect pitch?
    A: When an accordion thrown across the room hits a viola, which knocks over a banjo.

Q: What's the difference between an accordion and a concertina?
    A: The accordion takes longer to burn.
    "It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden
    Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner
    1963 Dnepr

I was an all-state viola player in high school, and started as a performance major at North Texas State. I played in the NT Symphony even after I changed my major to accounting. I played a half season with the Johannesburg Symphony, and when I came home I played few gigs here and there. Then I never touched the instrument for 12 years.

But, in 2001 I started playing with the then fairly new Allen Philharmonic (LINK) and have been with them ever since. Check out the website. We do some good stuff.
    Grant
    '05 R1200GS
    Former owner of an '03 R1150R
    BMWMOA #113847

I love the 'fiddle' and the mandolin...
    So much so I won't dishonor them by trying to play them.
    There are many artists who do it honor so I'll relegate the duty to them...

As Clint says: "A man's gotta know his limitations..."

Quote Originally Posted by Lmo1131 View Post
    Q: What is the definition of a gentleman?
    A: A man who can play the accordion, but doesn't.
    *Snicker!*

2012 R1200GS
    "If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's electrical." -somebody's dad
    http://www.thethingaboutcars.com/

I see so many "user names" on this and other musician threads that I also see in other areas on the Forum I read (and occasionally post on.) I would really like to meet you, put a face to our on-line dialogue.

Can someone set up a coffee hour for musicians to get acquainted in Redmund? Or maybe this has already been done and, computer dunce that I am, I simply haven't found the connection.

I've been to two international rallies (Redmund and Spokane) and there is always more to do than there is time for. But I would make time to talk with my Forum friends if this can be worked out.

I'm sure somebody will help me out.
    Doug
    1992 K100RS

criminaldesign
    i've been doing bass recently in a band and I'm having more fun with it than I do with drums and guitar.