Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What's Your Instrument?

Has two wheels and flies hoffmanswen's Avatar

What's Your Instrument?

So, while sitting here sawing on a cat (my wife thinks I'm playing a viola--bless her) I wondered if any other MOA members still play their HS orchestra instrument or picked up a guitar or somesuch on the way. Discuss...

I was started on strings when I was five. After some time I gave it up for motorcycles, nuclear reactors, rockets, and satellites. All the while I've maintained an affinity to the strings and came back only recently to find it is quite comfortable. I love the emotional range that a violin evokes, the melancholy of a cello, or the steady strength of the bass.

Anyone else?
    In wine there is wisdom. In beer there is strength. In water there is bacteria. ~David Auerbach

Still plays with trains. tinytrains's Avatar
    I own some guitars. I would not go as far as to call myself a guitarist.

Scott
    2009 R1200R Roadster

professor
    Trumpet all through Jr. High, HS, and college - marching band, drum and bugle corps, concert band, dance band. Just bought a used one and surprisingly remember quite a few songs and can play them - but the lip needs a lot of work to hit the high notes and tone is not what it used to be.

Play a little guitar - acoustic 12 string and 6 string

Recently dabbling with bass guitar and enjoying it a lot.

njnomad
    Quote Originally Posted by tinytrains View Post
    i own some guitars. I would not go as far as to call myself a guitarist.

Scott
    +1

al from chgo burbs lilredroadster's Avatar
    Have and play (reasonably well) a 67 Fender Telecaster Bass. Also have and try a Washburn D10 acoustic, A knock off Strat (Squire), a Martin Backpacker acoustic , a P.O.S. classical that I got on an excursion to Tijuana, and a cheap mandolin that gathers dust. I don't count a Yamaha Keyboard or about 10 harmonicas.
    For the most part I play the air guitar while driving.
    Al From Chgo Burbs
    BETTERMENT THROUGH BADGERMENT

angysdad
    I played a bit of guitar as a teenager. Showed up one day for my lesson and learned my teacher had died. Took it as a sign and stopped playing.
    Fast foward 25 yrs. I got involved, as a signer, with the 'office' band. Moved on to a semi-pro blues band as lead singer/front man. That dried up about a year ago. Started playing guitar at about the same time. Not too bad, but not too good either.
    I still enjoy playing with my organ though.

Intermediate Adventurer Newstar's Avatar
    All through high school, I was slated to go on to be a music major. I played flute and piccolo, marched in the band with a mellophone (marching F-horn), dabbled with trumpet, alto sax, and piano. In addition, I sang in the chorus, and acted in musicals. Due to problems within the music dept during my senior year (feuding music teachers and back ordered audition music), I never went to my college audition. I really never picked up an instrument again. Looking back, I wish I had a do-over.

Rally Rat
    High School band, Clarinet, Oboe, Bassoon, and all percussion. Drum major of the High School band. College scholarship for playing Tympani with the small orchestra there. Those were the days!

I play guitar, bass, some mandolin, and keyboards. I played professionally for several years and did a bunch of song writing for a country band. The band was put together by a label and had a bunch of regional success but broke up right after the first record was recorded. Suddenly the dream of climbing on a bus was a reality and most members weren't ready. No band=no record support.

About 5 years ago I told my wife I was going out to buy another guitar and she responded "For crying out loud, why don't you just buy the whole store" (I had a bad case of Guitar Aquisition Syndrome). I have found in my marriage that when my wife takes that tone of voice it is best to listen so I did what she suggested .

Fast forward 5 years and I am once again struggling in the music business thanks to this *&%^**%*& economy. It is a good life when things are normal and hopefully the economy will become "normal" again.
    Steve Marquardt

Former music major, lapsed trumpet player........
    Bob Weis
    Bikeless! 2004-bmw-k12rs-hannigan-Sold!

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    I play the radio but my 8 year old grandson plays his Martin guitar and his 4 year old sister is starting lessons on her fiddle.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

Accoustic guitar (Martins D35S, 00-17, Backpackers, early teens no-name), Electric (Fender, Epiphone), Bass (Washburn), Cello (Knilling), Mandolin (Early teens no-name), Electric Piano (Yamaha), Diddy-Bow (homemade). I've played since '61, will be turning 59 this year. Played all kinds of gigs. Songwriter. Did a lot of recording in Detroit. Groovesville, United Sound. Still have a trio. Play sporadically, mostly art openings, and mostly pretty strange music that no one has heard of, but is fun to play, like Memphis Jug, Incredible String Band, and old country stuff, along with a smattering of Procol Harum with the occasional original thrown in for good measure.

Took piano lessons for 6 years as a kid, rarely play any more, since I don't even own a piano. I was never in band in school at all. Took up the guitar at 16 and used to play with the buddies quite a bit in their basements.

Nowdays, I still own the old guitars, and a keyboard, but just don't find the time to sit down and play. I've got a '62 Harmony Rocket that I'm fixing up a bit to play.
    -----------------------------------------
    Brad D. - Member #105766
    '77 R100RS - Black Beauty (big pipe, baby!)
    '94 R1100RS - Sylvia

I play a classical guitar, baritone uke and some electronis organ. I play most days for my own enjoyment. I have a 5 string banjo, but it's not the sort of instrument that should be played in an apartment

Jay
    Last edited by r1dinman; 05-26-2010 at 06:10 PM. Reason: sp

RIDERR1150GSADV
    Played classical and jazz piano in highschool, but lost fingerspeed due to sports injuries....