• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Rally Definition

tmoyer

Intermediate Adventurer
Putting this up for discussion around the campfire but perhaps the Mods will move it elsewhere.

What defines a rally? I've researched and found no single defination.

Door prizes? Beer tent? More than X number of people? Is it well organized or just a group of people out for a ride. Overnight, or not? Sponsors? Vendors? Are they a requirement?

Our local club is looking to hold a rally. From past experience, we can expect attendance in the range of 25. Does that qualify for a rally? Can we grow from there?

So, fellow MOA members, what do you consider to be a rally?

Putting this up for discussion around the campfire but perhaps the Mods will move it elsewhere.

What defines a rally? I've researched and found no single defination.

Door prizes? Beer tent? More than X number of people? Is it well organized or just a group of people out for a ride. Overnight, or not? Sponsors? Vendors? Are they a requirement?

Our local club is looking to hold a rally. From past experience, we can expect attendance in the range of 25. Does that qualify for a rally? Can we grow from there?

So, fellow MOA members, what do you consider to be a rally?

Rally -- A gathering of old friends, some of which you didn't know you had.

Pete

You asked for opinions, so, here are my thoughts, in the context of BMW motorcycling where the term has a bit of a different meaning than in long-distance endurance competition. (More on that later).

The only thing that I see that makes a "rally" a rally is an overnight stay somewhere. Otherwise it is a day ride, lunch ride, club meeting, or something else.

There are camping rallies, and nowadays even BMW riders have hotel rallies which only a few years ago were mostly done by Honda riders.

Where one draws the line between a "campout" and a rally is a bit fuzzier. Both sometimes have sponsors, both sometimes have events like a poker run, etc. It seems to me that campouts tend to be with a small group you already know, while rallies tend to be public, even though folks say stuff like "BMW riders and their guests" and other semi-fictional rules.

To LD riders a rally is a competitive event with bonus locations, points, scores, winners, etc. and may be a part of a day, a day, or a multi-day. Simply by count most are 24 hour events, but some are 12 hour, or 5 days, or 7 days, or 11 days.

Mr. Khan says.... to scatter your enemy, to drive him before you, to see his cities reduced to ashes, to see those who love him shrouded in tears, and to gather into your bosom his wives and daughters. :lurk

Mr. Khan says.... to scatter your enemy, to drive him before you, to see his cities reduced to ashes, to see those who love him shrouded in tears, and to gather into your bosom his wives and daughters. :lurk

He must have been to Daytona, or Laconia. :)

Yea, baby!!:thumb:laugh

Camped in a green tent for way too many years. My idea of roughing it is a Holiday Inn.

After last weekend in the POURING RAIN!!!!, I'm with you, Hugh!

We are leaving for Maine in a week. I reserve the right to book a room at any threat of inclement weather.

What defines a rally?

gsrrsand.jpg

aka rally raid :thumb

ian

(to answer your question: a rally is almost anything you want it to be.)

Rally vs. Rallye

Put an e on the end of it and you can charge more. Think Rallye 3 wear by BMW, e for expensive clothe made in China. :ha

Or the forum can be an eRally. :whistle

I think what the BMW Sporttouring site does as a gathering is what they call an Un Rally. Loosley defined as a gathering of a few nights that doesn't include vendors or sponsers. Lots of organisation does go into it though.

Any vendors or sponsers makes it a Rally.

Hmmm.... this could get complicated... or simple... all depends on how you look at it...

Are you charging some amount for folks to attend? If yes, I might call it a rally.

Is it being sponsored by someone or on behalf of something? If yes, I might call it a rally.

Is your club trying to make some type of monetary gain ( i.e. add to the coffers to help the club thru difficult times)? If yes, I might call it a rally.

Is it open to the public (i.e. folks with a like mind and not closed to just club members, etc.)? If yes, I might call it a rally.

Are you going to try and help a charity thru hard work or funds collected of some type? If yes, I might call it a rally.

Are you going to use some type of liability coverage to insure your gathering? If yes, I would definitely call it a rally.

Lotsa folks here... lotsa definitions...

But an organized gathering that is sponsored, requires some financial stability and/or "hold harmless" agreement and has a registration fee would be construed as a bona fide rally and not just a ride, get together, lunch ride, ride-to-eat, or gathering.

imho... :)

I think that was Conan the Barbarian, or was it Breadman?

Back