• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Is it really that bad?

Hey All,
I am trying to make a huge decision. Should I trade in my beloved ÔÇÿ07 GS for a ÔÇÖ10 K13GT with all the fixins. I canÔÇÖt think of any reason that I donÔÇÖt want my GS other than the desire to fly on this 1300 everyday. I canÔÇÖt afford both. After 3 years with my GS IÔÇÖve noticed that my desires are more suited to road sport than the road/enduro style options. IÔÇÖve explored and enjoyed this way of life but havenÔÇÖt grown full bore into all that the GS offers. It certainly doesnÔÇÖt disappoint in any category. In fact I think it is the very best all around motorcycle IÔÇÖve ever owned.

However, the K1300 has seeded my subconscious with a little devil that taunts me from my left shoulder. I blame my dealer because I was permitted to test drive the S with a large group during a rally and I quickly became enamored with it despite the claustrophobic parade speed of the procession. I kept thinking that riding a bike of this caliber is the closest IÔÇÖll ever get to being in an F-18 Hornet.

This thread is overwhelmingly positive about having a GT to call your own but I am concerned about the total cost of ownership with a flagship BMW of this complexity. The K mantra seems to be ÔÇ£complex by choiceÔÇØ but what does that really mean? Will I regret letting my GS go?
Someone please sell me on its longevity and reliability please?

I have an 06 K1200GT and love it. Best bike I have ever had. I ride about 15K a year and this bike will just eat up the miles.

I think on occassion that I would like a R1200GS but then I would lose the great wind protection of the GT. Also, when I think about it I would be like a lot of GS riders and doing it all on pavement. I really have no desire to do the off road thing so the GT is the perfect bike for me. It is a bit heavy but nothing that you don't get used to quickly and the power is amazing.

IMHO, if you are looking for a touring bike you can't go wrong witht the GT.

Count me in, I love my 2008 K1200S. The only complaint is my personal difficulty in reigning in all that speed. I have toured on this bike quite a bit, and it is very comfortable with the stock seat. Or maybe my butt is different than the rest of the community's, but after 28k miles in less than 2 years, I have had no complaints about any aspect of this bikes performance. Just disappointed in my ability to reign in that speed... or talk my way out of tickets. This is a fabulous motorcycle in every respect.

Back