• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

How Long until Delivery.

Have a 2010 R1200GS Adventure with all the bells-n-whistles on order - can't wait for delivery - ordered it 5 months ago. Love the bike - but man, the wait is killing me. So, what gives with BMWNA's customer service, you call and you get lip-service. There was a time years ago BMW was somewhat "customer-centric", but no more. The local dealer is frustrated, and BMWNA isn't helpful at all. Anyone have any suggestions? I've been riding BMW's exclusively since 1977 and never had the problem with them that I'm having now. You'd think in this down economy, they would be jumping at the opportunity to deliver a new bike. And if BMWNA is monitoring this forum, contact me, and let's talk. I've called your customer service people twice and gotten nothing but a run-around.

I don't know. Who is your dealer and what do they say? What did they tell/promise you when you ordered it? BMW sales are up 20% in the U.S. this year over last, and they probably shrank their inventories to keep costs in hand. But, this still seems like a big problem.

Take a look at Trader on line. 34-2010 R1200GS's. Go figure. Call Honz at Gateway BMW. If he can't get you the GS you want and ship it to your house nobody can.

Jon

Here's the deal, I gave my dealer a deposit, and they tried for over 2 months to get BMW to accept the order - I called BMWNA Customer Service once, and was told by a young lady to "Go to another dealer" - I had to inform her that I had been using this particular dealer for about 20 yrs, and that they had been a BMW Dealer since 1968, and there was something called Dealer Loyalty. The dealer tried again to place the order, and BMWNA wouldn't accept it. I called again and asked what the problem was and got some sort of run around. I finally told them it was BS, and if they kept it up although I had been a loyal BMW Rider/Customer since 1977, that I would by another brand from my dealer as they are a multi-line dealer. Well, they finally accepted the order, but then it was another month before we found out the production date was June 2 or 4, and then it would be mid-July if I was lucky before I received it. I'm sorry gang, I support my local dealer because that is what keeps them in business, and this particular dealer has been around since 1948 - so obviously they are doing something right. BMWNA on the other hand, has one pissed off rider. Maybe after 33 yrs of riding BMW's I should try another brand - Obviously BMWNA doesn't give a crap about loyal customers.

One thing you must understand is that dealerships are allocated specific quantities of bikes, and the production runs are fixed based on that. The factory cannot instantly reconfigure to make a specific setup, so there are delays for custom orders. Most dealers I am familiar with would work with you to locate a bike that fits your needs. Many bikes are configured with full option lists as ordered by the specific dealership, so simply calling around by your dealer should be able to located a bike. Talk with them and see if they can locate one for you, rather than expending a lot of energy getting upset with production delays. Life is much too short for that. Your local dealership will still service it for you and that relationship is most important.

In 2006 I ordered a 2007 model R1200ST, as BMW NA was not going to import that model, that year. My dealer placed the order in December of 06, with a build date in March 07 and I got my bike in LA in the middle of April.

I don't know what the problem is between your dealer and BMW NA, but the delays in building and delivering a custom order are not surprising. BMW AG will only build your custom ordered bike when they have the production line set up for that model and for this market, and those times are generally scheduled the previous fall.

One thing you must understand is that dealerships are allocated specific quantities of bikes, and the production runs are fixed based on that. The factory cannot instantly reconfigure to make a specific setup, so there are delays for custom orders.

I was at the Triumph / BMW dealer a couple of weeks ago and heard him telling somebody on the phone that his parts orders could be delayed for several weeks because of the Icelandic volcano eruption. When he got off the phone I asked if that was affecting everybody and he said all the European manufacturers were suffering delays that could push orders back weeks or even months until they catch up. Perhaps BMW is having trouble getting parts into the production facilities -- could this be one of the reasons for the delay?

Financial problem is a good bet

One way this can happen and does especially now, is your dealer may be having financial problems with BMW and no one will admit it. BMW will refuse dealers bikes and parts if they get sideways with them financially...this has been happening more and more over the last two years.

Go to your dealer or another...or just call them and ask them to do an inventory search for you...both by dealer inventory and BMW NJ warehouse. See if there's a bike there like you want. If there is, your dealer either can't or won't get it, probably due to financial problems...like BMW wanting cash up front before shipping or he is just lazy or lying to you, or both.

If there is a model like you want in all the pipeline...go find a dealer capable to get it or change what you want to what is available. Five months is a joke.

I was at the Triumph / BMW dealer a couple of weeks ago and heard him telling somebody on the phone that his parts orders could be delayed for several weeks because of the Icelandic volcano eruption. When he got off the phone I asked if that was affecting everybody and he said all the European manufacturers were suffering delays that could push orders back weeks or even months until they catch up. Perhaps BMW is having trouble getting parts into the production facilities -- could this be one of the reasons for the delay?

Don't think they are flying many bikes over. Last I looked ships weren't being limited due to air ash from China or other BMW parts sourced areas.

Last edited:
Have a 2010 R1200GS Adventure with all the bells-n-whistles on order - can't wait for delivery - ordered it 5 months ago. Love the bike - but man, the wait is killing me. So, what gives with BMWNA's customer service, you call and you get lip-service. There was a time years ago BMW was somewhat "customer-centric", but no more. The local dealer is frustrated, and BMWNA isn't helpful at all. Anyone have any suggestions? I've been riding BMW's exclusively since 1977 and never had the problem with them that I'm having now. You'd think in this down economy, they would be jumping at the opportunity to deliver a new bike. And if BMWNA is monitoring this forum, contact me, and let's talk. I've called your customer service people twice and gotten nothing but a run-around.

I can appreciate your efforts to support your local dealership but there must be a time limit on how long you'd be prepared to wait. Frankly, I'm not that patient when it comes to that sort of thing.

I'm sure your dealership understands that you have certainly made an effort to give him your business but there's got to be a reality check there somewhere. I'd be doing an online search or calling up dealerships within range and purchasing an in-stock model NOW.

Your dealership will still benefit from after-purchase service and warranty work.

cbcK1200S - Colin

Dealers have the ability to swap bikes or to get a bike from another dealer. Frankly, they do it quite often. Your tale is a dealer and inventory distribution issue, not a BMW Motorrad USA issue.

Why in the world should BMW take your order and build you a bike when bikes like your order are sitting unsold in inventory someplace? If I ran BMW, I wouldn't.

GSA Models in USA inventory

It would help by telling you where the bikes are close to you, but your profile isn't very forthcoming so I know not where you live. I have access to BMW's dealerspeed network. I checked on 2010 GSA models in USA dealership inventories. As of 10 minutes ago there are 317 GSA bikes spread across our US dealers. I didn't break down each of the three colors available, but the white "30 year" model represents 32 of the 317. Most of them are pretty well loaded. There are a few dealers with more than one of the 32. Assuming the other two colors represent 1/2 of the remaining total, there's 133 of each..and I imagine more than a few of them are fully loaded.

I can tell you BMW has none currently in Priority 5, which is their warehouse stock of bikes, from which they would ship to your dealer. In fact, the only 2010 model year showing in Priority 5 is the new super duper crotch rocket.

So again, ask your dealer or some dealer to do a search for you. The bikes are in this county, just not at your dealer...and obviously your dealer isn't working to hard to get you one of them.

The first anniversary edition 1200GS just arrived at out dealer here in Tampa...Good looking bike, although the red seat takes some getting used to...now if they would just get their first new Multistrada in...

Waiting for delivery

Sounds to me like your dealer has some kind of problem with BMW NA and perhaps with other dealers. There are three BMW dealers within 40 miles of where I live and all of them have GS and GSA models in stock. Why your dealer couldn't or wouldn't work a trade with another dealer is known only to your dealer. But, you know, the beauty of the marketplace is that one can demonstrate their disapproval of whatever status quo they experience by voting no confidence with their feet and wallet. When I was unable to get the new R1200R I wanted from any of my area dealers without having to order and wait several months, I bought a new Ducati Monster 1100S with which I am thrilled. BMW's loss was Ducati's gain. I'm not POed at BMW NA or my local dealers. They know that an essential rule of the marketplace is: 'you can't sell what you don't have.' Exercise your consumer power. Don't let any seller hold you hostage to a bunch of BS and non-responsiveness. Make sure your first loyalty is to your wallet, not a brand or dealer.

Pete

I would go back to the dealer and explain that you have waited 5 months and
would like to do business with him, but if he can't have the bike ready to be
delivered to you within a month, you will cancel the order.

Agree. Bikes are available and the dealer should be working to satisfy you, not the other way around. Get them to pony up or take the business elsewhere...

Send me PM

See my earlier post. Send me a PM and I 'll tell you where the GSAs you want
(color and options) are located.

You know, this whole thread illustrates something that I've concluded over the past year, but have been hesitant to spend much time talking about on this forum. I bought my first BMW motorcycle last year, and expected a very different (and better) kind of customer service experience than I've received from BMW.

Whether it's BMW Motorrad, their North American operations, the dealerships or the entire system, I don't know, and the exact reasons don't really matter all that much to me. What does matter is that, as much as I've liked my RT, my experience has been that I bought a bike from a company that really doesn't care all that much about its customers, and that seems a bit clueless about the fundamentals of good public relations. And this seems to be true from the big things all the way down to the minor, trivial annoyances and poor communications.

Sure, there are all kinds of reason why a factory order for a motorcycle should take months, and there are reasons why a dealership might be unable to secure a requested motorcycle faster. However, a company with a clear focus on serving its customers would put a priority on correcting the causes of these problems and finding workarounds to keep them and one-off glitches from affecting their customers and their customer's opinions on the company and its products.

For example, could their be a better public relations gesture than for a senior executive at BMW, after having been made aware of this thread by subordinates assigned to monitor social media, to make a personal call to the original poster to apologize for the order delay and offering an expedited solution? If this or anything like it happens, however, I'll be surprised. Instead, BMW will likely just remain aloof, seemingly not care, let the problem fester and, ultimately, contribute even more to their reputation for bad customer service.

Back