Thread: rust & crud removal?

Question rust & crud removal?

So the exhaust system, where it's exposed outside the RT fairing, all the way from the headers to about 1/3 of the way back on the muffler is coated in something that looks like rust and mud and grease and baked-on baby vomit ...and did I mention rust? I think maybe the PO had a penchant for riding in the Chicago winter and following the salt trucks or something. It's covered in crud. I tried naval jelly to some good effect, hosed most of it off, then steel wool. Then more naval jelly and a few squirts of carb cleaner and more steel wool and it's graaaaaaadually coming off and the shine is reappearing. ...BUT it looks like several more hours of intense effort, and all those seams on the collector box are gonna be a PITA.

Isn't there some better way??? I'm not getting any younger here!

(Imagine amusing smilies distributed througout my post)
    We might as well walk. ~ Adam Guettel The Light In The Piazza
    used to own: 1982 R100T, 1984 R65, 1986K75C, 1997 R1100RT, R850R, K75S, 1978 R100RS... what was I thinking?

Slow & Easy
    It probably willn't make it any faster but, might help prevent scratching. Get a spray bottle and fill it with WD40. Use it along with your steel wool. You can get WD40 by the gallon at Home Depot. Use a VERY FINE grade of steel wool.

Ever try Nevr-Dull? It's a polish, and if you've got some time and a mechanic's creeper, I think you'd have some luck with it. Just use small pieces, polish in small circular motions, and wipe off the excess after it dries a bit. Most hardware stores will carry the stuff. There's another brand, Eagle One Nevr-Dull, but IMHO it's not nearly as good as what's in the link below. If it's rust you have, It won't do much there, but it will remove all the other crud fairly well. If you have anything melted on the pipes, I've heard that Easy Off oven cleaner works for that but I've never tried it.

http://www.nevrdull.com/
    Motorcycling is my passion because golf is far too dangerous!
    2016 R1200GSW

Thanx, guys. i've actually been using coarse steel wool, so maybe I'll switch to a finer grade and see what happens. Maybe oven cleaner on the bottom first in case it looks bad after.
    But thanx!
    ride safe!,
    g
    Last edited by 26667; 05-21-2010 at 01:32 PM. Reason: sbelling
    We might as well walk. ~ Adam Guettel The Light In The Piazza
    used to own: 1982 R100T, 1984 R65, 1986K75C, 1997 R1100RT, R850R, K75S, 1978 R100RS... what was I thinking?

TravelsWithBarley.com
    I don't bother as a general rule since with only one paved road in town resistance is futile...but over the years I've learned that nobody knows how to remove crud like a HD dealer! When I have something particularly obnoxious burned onto my GSA exhaust I visit the helpful folks at Green Mountain Harley-Davidson; they take crud seriously!

Pete
    '18 R1200GSA for solo rides
    '12 R1200GSA with Hannigan sidecar for rides with Glenlivet
    '15 Honda CRF250L for exploring places I'm afraid to take the big GSA!
    http://travelswithbarley.com/

Left Coast Rider
    Pictures! This thread is useless without pictures!

I once had a plastic grocery bag decide to make friends with an exhaust header. After swearing a blue streak, I took a razor blade to try to peel off what remained on the bag which was black and charred onto the header. It took awhile but it worked. I then used a combination of Blue Away and Solvol Autosol on a few clean rags and ended up with what looked like a new header.

Good luck with your cleanup!

Subzero Scooter Idiot oldcarkook's Avatar
    CLR is a citric acid based descaler and you'd be surprised at how effective it is (and gentle) for rust and scale. Use the CLR "bathroom cleaner" with 000 steel wool or a fine scuff pad. Works pisser.
    Experience is the comb that mother nature gives us when we are bald

Quote Originally Posted by 26667 View Post
    Thanx, guys. i've actually been using coarse steel wool, so maybe I'll switch to a finer grade and see what happens. Maybe oven cleaner on the bottom first in case it looks bad after.
    But thanx!
    ride safe!,
    g
    Steel wool will get worked into the pores in the metal and will rust causing unsightly stains - not a good choice.

Oilhead pipes are chrome over stainless steel alloy.
    A fine stainless steel bush and scotchbrite pads will bring the pipes back up.
    Use comet as an inexpensive abrasive medium.

Here is an exhaust header I did a month ago from an 1150GS
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by GSAddict; 05-21-2019 at 02:40 PM.
    '
    Ufda happens..........

Need your R11xx Hall sensor rewired? PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by GSAddict View Post
    The pipes are stainless steel alloy.
    Some are stainless steel and some are chromed stainless steel.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Some are stainless steel and some are chromed stainless steel.
    Edited.
    '
    Ufda happens..........

Need your R11xx Hall sensor rewired? PM me.