• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

K12LT / Honda GL comparison question

basketcase

What's that noise...?
Has anyone ridden both the K12 LT and the Gold Wing (who is willing to publicly provide some feedback on the two bikes)?

This K11 that I am riding is about to head out the door, and I am mulling what to do next.

In addition to owning several pre K12 model K bikes in the past, I have also owed a Wing. The Wing was a great ride, but I have never been on a K12. Thus my curiosity.

Thanks in advance,
RM

Honda is offering demo rides on Wings and I'd bet you can get a ride on an LT from a dealer.

FWIW, the LT always felt tall to me and coming to a stop was, well, dramatic. I have a 32" inseam, but the wide seat seemed to conspire to splay my legs enough that I felt distinctly shorter.

Something changed on the 1800 Wing wrt seating position, and the handlebars are a lot closer to the rider than they were on the 1500/6 model. The LT is much roomier in this respect.

I like my LT a lot. Long distances shrink dramatically, and its a fun bike to lean over as well. My nits are pretty minor.

k1200 LT vs Goldwing

I have ridden, researched, and agonized about these 2 bikes for about 4 months. GW is cheaper to accessorize, has plenty of power, but is kind of dull. The K1200 is more expensive, more expensive to accessorize, but feels alot more responsive and quick out of the hole. I have found out that BMW's hold their value better and invite ALOT more chatter and notice on the road. The k12 seems to be built of better materials, feels more solid, but does have a higher center of balance. I am in the process of buying a k12. Go ride the k12, but take your checkbook; you probably will leave with one. Hope this helps.

LT

:idea I was ready to get rid of My LT, I could touch the ground onty with My tip toes. Its a real bummer stopping on gravel or sandy concrete. Even fell over once. Then I got the Lower seat available by BMW and that turned it from a HATE relationship to TRUE LOVE.:clap :cool:

I like the k1200lt

I test rode both bikes before i settled on the Beemer. I drove the BMW first and wasn't sure if i liked it or not, my first thoughts were the BMW was very top heavy (and i still feel that way), then i rode the new GW and liked it. The weight was much lower but the bike was still very heavy(as expected form a bagger). I really liked the 6 cyl motor, very strong and smooth. When i looked closer at the bike however, i found that it was not built like a German MC but like a Jap bike, nice style, but lot of cheap plastic, and not very durable. Example: It felt like when you open up the saddle bags that the lid could break off very easily. The whole bike felt like that. I was looking in the rear speaker covers for the speakers, cause i could not get them to work and found out they didnt have any...etc etc.
I went and tested the BMW again and loved it. The bike came with everything: 8 speakers, cd changer,
moveable windshield, abs brakes. Very durable and a lot of technology. I love the bike and am very happy with my decision. Let me know if you need more info.

k1200ltc continued...

I forgot to mention a few more things: I just came off riding Harleys for the last 15 yrs, So it was "somewhat" important to still be excepted by the Harley community. I knew with the Jap bike this was not going to happen, my experience has been they all like the BMW and seem to know that it is a HIGHER END motorcycle, and something that they would like to own someday. They don't feel that
way about the Jap crap.
2nd, I also didn't mention that the BMW will out handle a GW any time, any place. The thing is a rocket and corners like one too. I have never ridden a motor cycle that is more stable in a corner. My brother has a Road King and i absolutely leave him in my dust going into the corner and out of the corner right up to 100mph. He is basically no where to be found at that point. I would like to see them bump up the HP to around 130 though. That would do it for me.

Back