• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Fehling Euro Bars - 22mm or no?

P

poorboywilliams

Hi All-
I recently picked up a set of Fehling euro bars from Hucky's along with a complete set of cables as the final step in getting the old '74 R90/6 back on the road. I assumed these bars were 22mm and not 7/8" since a) Hans was selling them, and b) they're made in Germany. But when I try to slide the control mounts back on, the bars seem a little too big. To compare, I tried sliding them back on the original Magura USA high bars... no problem, slid right on.

So there's essentially a pinch fitting that holds the controls in place on the bars. Is there a safe way to open this up? I was gently prying with a large screwdriver last night but I really don't know how brittle that metal is. Any suggestions? Maybe a little heat?

I think you need to get your money back. Hucky should know better and/or put something on his website.

Bummer! Hucky's site gives metric measurements for length and rise, so I figured they would have to be 22mm diameter. But.. those controls just don't want to slide on.

Put a set of mics, or calipers on them:

22mm = .866"

7/8" = .875"

Fehling's website lists their "22mm" products with a (7/8") notation; not a good sign.

They're into Harley stuff now... . 25.4mm [1.0"], 30mm [1.187"].

Good luck with Hucky...

I bought some 22mm bars made by Flanders. My controls would not fit over the ends. When I measured the bars, they were indeed 22mm, but the bars had a slight flare on the ends. A quick hit on the belt sander and the controls fit right on. I'd guess the flare was caused by the cut off tool.

Anyname gets the gold star, and I get the dunce cap for not checking this sooner. I got out the calipers last night and confirmed that about 99% of the bar is in fact 22mm. The portion that isn't is the last 0.25" or so on either end, flared presumably at the factory as a result of cutting the bars. Thanks all!

Anyname gets the gold star, and I get the dunce cap for not checking this sooner. I got out the calipers last night and confirmed that about 99% of the bar is in fact 22mm. The portion that isn't is the last 0.25" or so on either end, flared presumably at the factory as a result of cutting the bars. Thanks all!

Good! Same here, recent purchase of Fehling euro bars from Hucky. I measured and got the same result, but had not checked the fit of the controls yet.

Mom will be so proud that I finally amounted to something....

Back