Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: The Hassles of Protective Gear

Quote Originally Posted by criminaldesign View Post
    if anything is a hassle, it's rain gear.
    even more so when it stops raining 1 mile down the road...
    And you stopped after it had been raining for 20 and decided to finally put it on

Aren't Helmet debates always fun?

I believe in helmets even more after my last deer encounter this year and looking at the remnants of my chinbar...I walked away from what I know would have been different sans helmet & gear. Too many 16 year old getoffs taught me that the hard way...I also rolled my CJ-7 many years back off the highway and down a canyon sideways at least 5 times I counted and the seatbelt held me in from what would have been pretty ugly...if you saw what was left of my jeep....do what you like...I know what my inner voice tells me...and I am good with that. That is why we all make choices and why I make mine.
    Steve Henson-Mod Team and SABMWRA Prez

Be decisive, right or wrong.The road of life is paved with
    flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision~unknown

Yarddog
    Quote Originally Posted by henzilla View Post
    even more so when it stops raining 1 mile down the road...
    And you stopped after it had been raining for 20 and decided to finally put it on

I believe in helmets even more after my last deer encounter this year and looking at the remnants of my chinbar...I walked away from what I know would have been different sans helmet & gear. Too many 16 year old getoffs taught me that the hard way...I also rolled my CJ-7 many years back off the highway and down a canyon sideways at least 5 times I counted and the seatbelt held me in from what would have been pretty ugly...if you saw what was left of my jeep....do what you like...I know what my inner voice tells me...and I am good with that. That is why we all make choices and why I make mine.
    ...and at the end of the day, and if the helmet law went away tomorrow, I'd wear my helmet 95% of the time...maybe more...every now and then...on Tepesque Canyon Road...

Quote Originally Posted by 2BikeMike View Post
    Maybe it's just a personal preference for him.
    [regarding pants in boots and avoiding the helmet debate like the plague...]

guess so, but the point of the video was to show how little time it takes to gear up (or down).

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by henzilla View Post
    This is the last place I'd expect a discussion about protective gear.
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2014 And DRAT! Missed the last one in 2015!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

Quote Originally Posted by Yarddog View Post
    ...and at the end of the day, and if the helmet law went away tomorrow, I'd wear my helmet 95% of the time...maybe more...every now and then...on Tepesque Canyon Road...
    Tepusquet Canyon Road.

View Larger Map

Several years ago, just after they fixed the bridge at the south end, I decided to take that road again. It's a wonderful road, very twisty, not a lot of traffic, scenic... But a guy in a northbound Jeep was enjoying the scenery a bit too much as I headed south through one of the very tight turns, and he was fully in my lane when I first saw him. Between his reaction and my skirting the very edge of the road, I did get past him, but a little road like that, with drop offs, is about the last place I'd want to be caught dead without a helmet. If you went off the road, with all of the trees nearby, you could easily pull a Sonny Bono.

I grew up in LA, before there were helmet laws, but as I didn't get into motorcycling until I was in my 20s and no longer invulnerable, I always rode with a full face helmet, even in the summer in the Valley. I'm just too valuable to me to not wear one.
    --Darryl Richman, forum liaison
    http://darryl.crafty-fox.com

RIDERR1150GSADV
    ATGATT
    I liked the video too.
    Down here, too many 'riders' rather blead than sweat and consequently a lot of them do.... Flip-flops and T shirts are cool AFTER a ride IMHO...

Quote Originally Posted by tommcgee View Post
    This is the last place I'd expect a discussion about protective gear.
    And a civil one at that!

Voni
    sMiling
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves/
    Live fully. Laugh deeply. Love widely.
    BMW MOA Ambassador Emeritus / FOM / Roving Forum Moderator/
    Selected Friends of Wile E Coyote/ A Million 100 thousand BMW sMiles

Quote Originally Posted by Yarddog View Post
    Fact of the matter is, we don't know...we didn't know back then...and we'll likely never know, because these sorts of statistics haven't been warehoused where they are accessible to both helmet/seatbelt proponents or opponents...maybe they really exist nowhere, I don't know...

The classic example is the motorcylist that died of blunt force injuries to the torso... but yet the newspaper made sure to tell ya that he wasn't wearing a helmet...like that would have mattered...

So, my point is that there is a lotta confusion out there as to how many lives have actually, really and truly, been saved as a result of wearing either a helmet or a seatbelt...and how many lives were taken BECAUSE they were wearing a helmet or seatbelt...we can tell stories to each other until we're blue in the face...but we'll never really know, will we?
    I agree it's almost impossible to pin this down to an exact number, but at least in my area, the overall numbers seem to support that helmets save lives.

Nebraska has a helmet law. Iowa doesn't. Iowa has about 1.5x the population of Nebraska. From what I've seen in the newspaper (there was a recent attempt to repeal NE's helmet law), Iowa has about 1.5x the number of motorcyclists and 1.5x the number of motorcycle accidents. That makes sense.

So you'd generally expect Iowa would have somewhere around 1.5x the number of motorcycle fatalities. But that's not so. Iowa, without a helmet law, has 3x the number of motorcycle fatalities.

While I suppose there could be lots of reasons for that, with all the similarities between NE and IA, the one that seems to stand out is the difference between helmet law vs. no helmet law.

Yarddog
    Now, hasn't this been so much more fun than threads about 'how much is this bike worth?'...'what kind of oil should I use in ......?'...'how do I do this because I'm too lazy to do a thread search and too cheap to get a shop manual and I know that if I have any question about any thing SOMEBODY is gonna answer'...

Ah yes...a thread with some real meat and thorny issues! Very entertaining!!!

After racing bicycles for a few years, where you fall down a lot, no way would I risk the road rash at 3X the speed. IMHO motorcyclists have NO IDEA what is going to happen to them skidding along the pavement at 75 mph. That is why there will always be debate.

Quote Originally Posted by carockwell View Post
    IMHO motorcyclists have NO IDEA what is going to happen to them skidding along the pavement at 75 mph. That is why there will always be debate.
    i believe you're right.

this is another reason why starting out riding on dirt will help you survive the street.

*very, VERY* few dirt riders do so without helmets.

and it doesn't take many dirt-sky-dirt-sky-dirt-sky-dirt experiences for most people to learn what it's like to get off a bike at speed.

ian
    Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________
    '67 Trail 90 || '86 R80 G/SPD+ || '97 F650ST || '00 1150 GS || '07 Xchallenge || '13 CB500X || '14 Grom

Quote Originally Posted by Visian View Post
    brian catterson wrote a column about this in the current issue of motorcyclist magazine.

the fellow in the video could have taken much less time if he wasn't so fussy about having his jeans tucked into this boots while riding! what's with that???

ian
    Great video.

He might be wearing short socks and doesn't like the feeling of boot on bare skin.

If correct we have something other than ATGATT in common.

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar

Anatomy of motorcycle injury

Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2014 And DRAT! Missed the last one in 2015!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

I have always thought it takes a lot longer to heal from road rash, than to put gear on. Been wearing gear all of my 45 years of riding.

Toadmanor
    Quote Originally Posted by 85801 View Post
    I have always thought it takes a lot longer to heal from road rash, than to put gear on. Been wearing gear all of my 45 years of riding.
    Well just what is it that you wear?