• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

The Hassles of Protective Gear

tommcgee

Unfunded content provider
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/QKP8kVMd7x8&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/QKP8kVMd7x8&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

brian catterson wrote a column about this in the current issue of motorcyclist magazine.

the fellow in the video could have taken much less time if he wasn't so fussy about having his jeans tucked into this boots while riding! what's with that??? :scratch

ian

I shake my head a lot when folks claim it's just not worth the hassle to gear up...takes too much time. I was so into a routine as I was comuting daily before retiring...seemed seemless and very quick...especially at go- home- thirty!

How many have had to deal with a severe case of road rash...lot easier to put gear on than scrub wounds and bandage for weeks ...BTDT in my uneducated bulletproof youth:doh Found out I was NOT bulletproof a few times, usually not in my control either...other than making a dumb choice of minimal gear.

Not sure about the boot tuck-in either...wants to keep his pants legs dry? It's that darn IPOD that takes all the time:D

Here is the reason for the video at the top of this thread:

1.gif

the fellow in the video could have taken much less time if he wasn't so fussy about having his jeans tucked into this boots while riding! what's with that???

"sloppy" ain't cool.....

I liked the first video but I question the veracity of the second one. I have a hard time not thinking that his blood was just a bit too red.

Either way it is still all the gear every time for me.

The Brits in the 50's and 60's wouldn't be caught dead without their pants being tucked into the boots. Check out Ace Cafe and some nostalgic photos on the subject.

The Brits in the 50's and 60's wouldn't be caught dead without their pants being tucked into the boots. Check out Ace Cafe and some nostalgic photos on the subject.

yeahbutt... your pants are under the stich, so you can't see whether they're in or out of boot.

and he pulled his pantlegs out of his boots when the stich was off.

i guess he needs to look cool to his innter british rider? :D

what a total pain to remove your boots, tuck/untuck your pant legs, then put your boots back on.

gotta say i did like his idea for rolling up the stich and putting it under the rear fender.

Round here, ya see tons of IDIOTS wearing T-shirts, shorts, and flip-flops & no gloves while riding...but, hey, they got the full face helmet which will save them! Uh...yeah...

To me, along with the helmet comes the eye protection, gloves, BOOTS, full length pants, preferably a jacket, either synthetic + armor, or leather. In hotter weather, no jacket.

I consider all this gear, sans helmet, essential gear. To me, the value of a helmet at road speeds is debateable, BUT the State of California requires it. When it wasn't required, prior to New Year's Day 1992, I frequently, not always, rode without it...

I don't think you need to wear a full body suit to ride. If it's your preference, go for it...

I consider all this gear, sans helmet, essential gear. To me, the value of a helmet at road speeds is debateable,

I see it just the opposite. Bones mend, skin can be grafted, internal organs heal and a couple we can do without. But any damage to the brain is generally irreversible from the moment of impact. And it is not necessarily the speed that determines the impact, it's the height from the ground. There have been fatalities falling off a motionless bike.

On the other hand I hold no ire against the t-shirt and sandals crowd. I take quite a risk by riding, they just take more, albeit rather foolishly.

I see it just the opposite. Bones mend, skin can be grafted, internal organs heal and a couple we can do without. But any damage to the brain is generally irreversible from the moment of impact. And it is not necessarily the speed that determines the impact, it's the height from the ground. There have been fatalities falling off a motionless bike.

On the other hand I hold no ire against the t-shirt and sandals crowd. I take quite a risk by riding, they just take more, albeit rather foolishly.

And I agree, a helmet is obviously useful if you fall off a bike at rest...I prefer not to put even more weight on the end of the whip that is my neck... That, I believe, is MY choice...not yours...or hers...or his...but the law says different...

brian catterson wrote a column about this in the current issue of motorcyclist magazine.

the fellow in the video could have taken much less time if he wasn't so fussy about having his jeans tucked into this boots while riding! what's with that??? :scratch

ian

Maybe it's just a personal preference for him. :brow

2 Things

1) Stuffing the stitch above the wheel. Guess if no hot pipes it is as good a place as any. Avoids the dragging a dead body around with you.

2) How do you put you on eyeware on before your helmet? None of mine fit that way.

Not sure about the boot tuck-in either...wants to keep his pants legs dry? darn :D

Style aside, I always tuck the pants into my boots. I find the top of the boots will wear/chafe into my calf-especially on hot days-if I don't.:gerg

And I agree, a helmet is obviously useful if you fall off a bike at rest...I prefer not to put even more weight on the end of the whip that is my neck... That, I believe, is MY choice...not yours...or hers...or his...but the law says different...

There are many emotional reasons not to wear a helmet, but a logical one like you try to present? come on...

There is no way, in any form of science, medical or otherwise, that a helmet-less head is safer than one with a helmet. :stick

There are many emotional reasons not to wear a helmet, but a logical one like you try to present? come on...

There is no way, in any form of science, medical or otherwise, that a helmet-less head is safer than one with a helmet. :stick

:lurk

Yarddog - I tend to not disagree with you regarding the extra unsprung weight. However, the number of situations where that weight will come into play and cause the kind of damage you are concerned about are significantly fewer than the number of times your head will hit the pavement on a get off, that being every time.

Since this is a well debated subject I thought I would draw some compairsons to another well debated subject.... Oil!

ATGATT- is like changing oil and filter at regular intervals.
SOTGSOTT- (some of the gear so of the time) is like randomly changing your oil and sometimes skipping the filter because that is really a PITA
Helmet only- is like changing your oil but always skipping the filter
NOTGNOTT- (jean and t-shirt) is like never changing your oil or filter
Leather- like using high quality OEM approved oil and filter
Cordura, Stich, Rukka, Olimpia, others.. (synthetic materials) Like using OEM filters and synthetic oil. And we all know that synthetic is the best..:D

Wearing your gear is good for you! Even this preacher says so.

Attachments

• preacher.jpg
    preacher.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 493
Back