• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Going to the Sun Road

update

Just got this from Park Ranger Anna from today...they still plan on opening it on the 18th
Still dealing with an avalanche or two... :doh

Attachments

• Going to the Sun JUN2010.jpg
    Going to the Sun JUN2010.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 182
Please remind me; why is that mountaineer crossing the avalanche path? ... and some days I think my job sucks!

We did this a couple of summers ago and used Kalispell as a jumping off point. Hotel/motel reservations are pretty much required anywhere near the park during the summer months.

Don't get me wrong - it's a beautiful park, the scenery is great and well worth the visit. As others have said, get there as early in the morning as you can and be prepared for a lot of stop and go traffic as the day wears on. The roads are narrow, under construction and people will be stopping in the middle of the road to take a picture of goats, deer, chipmunks or anything that moves! YOUR CLUTCH WILL SUFFER!!!!!

That said, it's still worth it - just an amazing place.

It's open

According to this site, the Going to the Sun Hwy is open, all the way. So, unless there's an avalanche between now and about July 25th, when I get there, I'll be riding it then.

I'll be the one on the all black 1150GS - the one with the roundish gimpy guy on top.

Jim
:wave

We just missed the complete opening...about a mile shy of the Logan Pass visitor center from West Glacier...still was an amazing 30 mile ride up...and just as fun back down...we hit it last Friday the 18th with clear blue skies. Road is freshly paved most of the way up from West Glacier side at least several miles past the Lake McDonald Lodge to maybe the Loop turn. Then only a few rough spots...but all in all..GREAT! The avalanche was within site at the top. This was one of many waterfalls, pictures as usual just do not capture the true beauty and size of this area:thumb

Attachments

• P1010058.jpg
    P1010058.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 63
Images

This was one of many waterfalls, pictures as usual just do not capture the true beauty and size of this area:thumb

Maybe not, but they do a pretty good job of capturing the image of TL Helen.

Jim
All fired up to be there about a week after Redmond

:dance
(This smilie somehow reminds me of your Brother-in-Law.)

Missed the road

We were there last week, to bad the road was not open but the scenery was great.

We stayed at a B&B south of the park, a motorcycle guy that completely understands the bike experience.

You should consider www.badrock.com if you are in the area.

On our way to the rally

Maybe not, but they do a pretty good job of capturing the image of TL Helen.

Jim
All fired up to be there about a week after Redmond

:dance
(This smilie somehow reminds me of your Brother-in-Law.)

:laugh:laugh you made her:blush

Enjoy the trip!

Thanks for the room info

The Kalispell Grand and the Bad Rock B&B seem to be on my route, so maybe so maybe I'll stay at one of them.

Jim

The Izaac Walton is at Essex, in the middle of the Marias Pass, which is the next road (highway 2) south of the Going to the Sun. We used to go there often, on long weekends.

While not as exotic as the GTTS, Marias is still a good ride, with fast sweepers and beautiful scenery.

The locals here in Cut Bank,MT. (where I'm currently) say the 'Go'n to the Sun' road has been open for a week (7/02/10).

Regards,

Clay
R1200GSA

(from on the Road)

Back