• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Wind Noise - PLEASE HELP

I was told by the previous owner that it's the taller seat. My seat is show p/n 52537651959 which doesn't match any of your numbers called out... Oh the plot thickens.

The eBay seat is claimed as the standard seat. Either way, my seat came with a small rip in it, so the eBay seat for $100 is still a welcome addition. High, low, or medium, it will still look better :)

Bill

I know I have the low seat on my bike... I will double check what the number is under my seat tomorrow to see if it matches what you mentioned which looks familiar. I was always under the impression that the bikes come with the low seat but I could be wrong. I'll check tomorrow as I'm curious now.

What was the difference you felt going from the original shield to the Ermax shield? Which shield did you start with, and what were the problems you found with it, and how well did the Ermax fix those issues? As you can tell, I'm really REALLY trying to beat the noise turbulence issue.

Cheers,

Bill

Please understand that YMMV.

I have had stock, Parabellum, Wunderlich, Cee Bailey, and now the Ermax shield.

The stock and the Cee Bailey did not direct the wind off of me. The wind would hit me pretty much on my chest area and helmet.

The Wunderlich and Parabellum shield were basically little to tall for me and both pretty much kept the wind off of me but I felt the buffeting in the wind. Parabellum shield you can't lock your steering head bearing because it mounts off of handlebars. At the time I had both Parabellum and Wunderlich shield, I was sort of looking through them because of being too tall which made me somewhat more protected from the wind. I am 4' 11". I did not know how to cut the shields down to my height at the time I had these shields and I did not pay attention to how the wind was diverted from me. I do know I did feel the wind but not as bad as the Cee Bailey and BMW Stock.

I got the Ermax shield as soon as I was able to test the shield on a friends bike. I automatically noticed how quiet the shield was as well as how the wind was being diverted. I would put my hand up all around the shield and noticed how the shield directs the wind over and around your body. During the summer, I feel like I am suffocating because I am not getting any wind flow through my helmet. I have no been more happier with a shield and not looking to replacing this shield any time soon.

I had a friend who used the laminar lip and he finally took them off his shield as it did not help and in fact I think it had his shield vibrate which he did not like either.

I do wear ear plugs when I ride and I also have had ear surgery too. From the surgery, my ears are little more sensitive than they were before... I feel like I could honestly ride without ear plugs with the Ermax shield and it not bother me that much versus the other shields I have rode with. I use to not wear ear plugs that much before due to the fact of ear plugs giving me ear aches. So far, the surgery has helped my ear infection problems.

I hope this helps answer your questions... if not, let me know and I will try to answer them the best I can. Please remember, ymmv. Also take into consideration that I am also shorter than you. These are my experiences I had though with the different shields.

I know I have the low seat on my bike... I will double check what the number is under my seat tomorrow to see if it matches what you mentioned which looks familiar. I was always under the impression that the bikes come with the low seat but I could be wrong. I'll check tomorrow as I'm curious now.

This was actually written by me and not from bmwghostrider as I thought I was signed in but it was mom's account.

Have you visited The Chain Gang website www.f650.com ? This motorcycle club and forum is well known for the F650GS bikes.

I've had a good experience withe CalSci shield. It's a bit taller than I expected (I'm looking through it if I slouch), but it is effective. PM me for more info if you want.

I have to agree with BMWGSRIDER about the Ermax screen, it is a great screen!
Rode 22000kms this winter to Panama and it worked great. I hit a buzzard near Yaviza and it broke in 3 places so I stiched it up with glue and wire and am still using it. I also have the c bailey and it worked well also, but has a bit of optical distortion near the curved part.

I am sorry I didn't get a chance to look as I planned... other things came up that I had to take care of. I will try to look after I get home from work tomorrow.

Cee Bailey to the rescue!!!

Well, my Cee Bailey windshield showed up today (Sat. 5th June). I rushed to install it and go for a ride.

CEE BAILEY ROCKS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was able to ride for 3 hours with no noise fatigue and no ringing in my ears! I will have to say I was hoping for a miracle (and not an Miracle EAR) when I ordered this windshield. It has met, and acceded all of my expectations. Highly recommended.

Happy Bill :brad

Back