• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Video Ride to the Top of Loveland Pass - May 17th, 2010

sfarson

Hey, in case interest, turned on the helmet cam around noon today and recorded a south ascent of Colorado's Loveland Pass. Distilled it to a 3:52 recording. The vid begins at the Arapahoe Basin Ski Area and concludes at the 11,990 foot summit.

Recent snow has turned the above timberline area into a brilliant and searing show of white. Coupled with cottony clouds of the same color, only the high altitude sky of deep blue helps the mind and camera separate where the two aren't one. As thin altitude is gained so is there a thinning of the trees, until there is nothing but immense blankets of white with little contrast left to define what they hide. The sun does its blinding part. The camera is almost overwhelmed. Same for the brain. At least there is a bleached road in between it all to keep the BMW's front wheel pointed correctly!

South Ascent of Loveland Pass - Streaming Video

Another great video, Steve. This one had special memories for me. I did that same ride, starting in Dillon, in 1984. But at a much slower pace, since I was on a bicycle. lol Haven't been back since, and your video really helped stir up the beautiful memories and desire to return.

1984 was an Olympic year. We rode to the top of Loveland Pass to watch the bicycle racers in the Coors Classic on their leg from Golden to Copper Mountain. As they crested the top of the pass their support members handed them newspapers to shove under their jerseys, to help keep them warm on the descent. The race was filled with great racers in 1984, using the Coors Classic as a warm up for the Olympics in LA.

Great video of a gorgeous ride. Thanks.

Oh no, he's making me feel rotten AGAIN about my failure to make more movies... :stick

Beware the dark side.
darthvader.gif

another great ride to make us jealous.. Steve.. Thanks for posting

Another great video, Steve. This one had special memories for me. I did that same ride, starting in Dillon, in 1984. But at a much slower pace, since I was on a bicycle. lol Haven't been back since, and your video really helped stir up the beautiful memories and desire to return.

1984 was an Olympic year. We rode to the top of Loveland Pass to watch the bicycle racers in the Coors Classic on their leg from Golden to Copper Mountain. As they crested the top of the pass their support members handed them newspapers to shove under their jerseys, to help keep them warm on the descent. The race was filled with great racers in 1984, using the Coors Classic as a warm up for the Olympics in LA.

Great video of a gorgeous ride. Thanks.

Dan... That is a great tale and memory! I was in Cincinnati in '84 but remember my manager having tickets to the LA Olympics. I didn't come to CO until '86, but how about that... taking two wheels to the top of Loveland via pedal power! Take a bow! :clap That would be quite a haul for those racers to ascend Loveland all the way from Golden and then continue on to Copper Mountain. Loveland is a beautiful and high pass I never tire of experiencing.

Thanks for the (as usual) great video. I did that ride in reverse last summer - it was a little less white. :D

What's the soundtrack?

Super, as always, Sfarson. I too did it in reverse last summer and it is great to see what it looks like in the winter. Beautiful in any season!

Weren't some of the action sequences from American Flyers shot during that race?

Bob
Vancouver, WA
R1150RT
"Concorde"

Thanks for the (as usual) great video. I did that ride in reverse last summer - it was a little less white. :D

What's the soundtrack?

Hey, good to hear from everyone! Thanks.

Terence... the accompaniment is "Hand in Mine" by the artist Davol

Fantastic, as usual, Steve. I noticed your pace was a little more subdued, this time. Gravel inhibited, no doubt? :D

And A Basin, home of the hardcore skiers. Didn't the U.S. Team used to practise there, in the summers?

Last edited:
Fantastic, as usual, Steve. I noticed your pace was a little more subdued, this time. Gravel inhibited, no doubt? :D

And A Basin, home of the hardcore skiers. Didn't the U.S. Team used to practise there, in the summers?

Possibly so. I know A-Basin is often the last to close down for the summer. A few years ago I think they were open until August, shut down for a month or two, then a new season began!

Sorry about that. Power transformer went down last night near the offices hosting the server. It's back up.

Always the best! Made my morning coffee so much the better plus I scored another great soundtrack from iTunes thanks to you. Wish I was there. Oh and excellent choice of windshield I might add.

Back