• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Skirting The SW Corner of Chicago to Lima

Tom - I am thinking about generally following your route, but staying on IN-10 all the way to US30 at Etna Green. Are there any problems with that route that you know of?

Thanks!

Steve

I was on that route two weeks ago, no problems at all. When you pass by Bass Lake, stop at the house or give a wave. We are .2 miles past the stop sign at the south end of the lake.
Look for a red house with a big sailboat sitting behind the garage on the lake side of the road.
6795 S State Road 10

We are having a party/campout for Festival Weekend the foillowing weekend and are inviting anyone who wants to come from the forum.

Dan Zimbrich

screw it, I'm jumping into the mouth of the beast. my route takes me directly through it, or maybe hwy 30 sounds good.

south hwy 90 through rockford to east on hwy52 to hwy 30 to beer tent

I now think 2 hours slow riding is better than 2 hours in traffic

IN 10 to Etna Green

IN10 as you state is a good plan. I haven't been on all of it for a few months, but I do not believe there is any construction and the part east of bass lake was resurfaced last year. Actually there are a probably a few more twisties if you want to call them that on that route as it goes around a few lakes. It passes north f Kerstings MC museum at North Judson . . . and Baleys a huge discount dept store at the NE corner of 10 and 39. US30 will see a few stop lights through warsaw but in general is ok.... There is some construction on I69 to I459 around NW fortwayne. US 30 is pretty much clear sailing once you east of Valporaso. Have fun.

Good Riding
TomEA

SCDorman said:
Tom - I am thinking about generally following your route, but staying on IN-10 all the way to US30 at Etna Green. Are there any problems with that route that you know of?

Thanks!

Steve

Bahhhhhhhh, I just activated my I-Pass so I'm ready to take whatever Milwaukee-Lima via Chicago can throw at me.. Err wait.. I think last time I did the Chicago Express lane I ended up in a 3 care fender bender :doh ..

Perhaps I'll look at a map this weekend..

I went over to the in-laws yesterday in the cage. They live off 94 at the IL border, Man what a mess. They have posted road closings for the construction of a new bridge on I-94 near 394/94 split with closings at night and weekends from 15 minutes to 8 hours.

Mark, if you want to go through Chicago take 90E out of the city and then south on IN49 to pick up US30. You will miss the slow sections of 30. When I was commuting to Green Bay last year I would pick up 41 at the WI border, It runs back into 94 just north of the city and you miss the tolls. Time is about the same, Stopping for tolls or rolling on 41.

When are you leaving? :drink

I've ridden Chicagoland three times by bike in the last year, twice on the toll roads and once trying back roads. Each time I ended up in a situation that caused me serious oilhead overheating worries. (Not to mention me sitting on the bike for long periods in full gear on 90 degree days).

But we Iowa boys always have trouble adjusting to them city ways.

Go (south)west young man.

Steve

dzimbric said:
I went over to the in-laws yesterday in the cage. They live off 94 at the IL border, Man what a mess. They have posted road closings for the construction of a new bridge on I-94 near 394/94 split with closings at night and weekends from 15 minutes to 8 hours.

Mark, if you want to go through Chicago take 90E out of the city and then south on IN49 to pick up US30. You will miss the slow sections of 30. When I was commuting to Green Bay last year I would pick up 41 at the WI border, It runs back into 94 just north of the city and you miss the tolls. Time is about the same, Stopping for tolls or rolling on 41.

When are you leaving? :drink

early am (6-7ish CDT) wednesday

manic and ratsnake hooked me on the 41 route

dzimbric said:
When you pass by Bass Lake, stop at the house or give a wave.

Dan, when are you heading to the rally? I expect we will be coming through sometime Wednesday, time variant depending on whether I get off work early Tuesday and go part-way, or leave at o-dark-thirty Wednesday.

Steve

In 10 S.R. Closures

:doh
I spoke too soon. I rode most of the IN10 to US30 at Etna Green route from Warsaw to Bass Lake (US30/IN19/IN10) today.

IN10 was closed in several locations between IN117 (east of Culver) and IN331.
These closures were due to bridge repair (so they were solid closures). The state detour from the west is
down to IN110 then IN14 at IN331. By riding through the state detours you can
get to the local closure and detours. However these are on local county/country
roads and unless you are interested in inspecting the corn and beans and pigs
and sheep and cows in detail I would advise against taking these local detours.

IN10 between Bass Lake and Culver has signs up of loose gravel and oil.
However, today anyway, oil was not visible and the gravel was good.

You might check the following site but it did not contain all of the bridge
construction info.

http://www.state.in.us/dot/div/communications/restrictions/detoursn.pdf

S.R. 10 Marshall (EB) and (WB) lanes closed between U.S. 31 and S.R. 17 for
bridge replacement
until July 28, 2005. Official state detour uses U.S. 31 to S.R. 110 to S.R. 17.

So IMO, if you are interested in getting up to US30 from IN10 as soon as possible I
suggest the following options-

Hop up to US30 anywhere including and east of IN49 and before (west of) US31.
Since US30 goes ESE the further east you go the less north you have to go to
get US30. The last road IN17 is a very nice road. Work you way through
Plymouth to US30. IN23 is also good (did not ride it today), watch out, go very
slow and lift off of the seat going over the tracks in Ober.

US30 is pretty much clear sailing after IN49. US30 still has 55 posted. I thought
they were raising the limits on 4 lane dividedÔÇÖs. DonÔÇÖt know the status.

Happy riding across northern Indiana.

Tom Anspach Wnamac, IN

Note for riders coming across Indiana on IN14

Note for riders coming across Indiana on IN14

This morning I rode over to Rochester to pick up a copy of Harry Potter and
the Half Blood Prince (BTW I brake for muggles). I paid particular attention
to the IN14 detour across US31. Since I am used to it I don't usually notice
the signs. Here is the note:

IN14 goes directly across US31 into Rochester then continues on East. There
were so many accidents occurring as IN14 crossed US31, which is 4 lane
divided, 'they' decided to detour IN14. 'They' did not want to put in an active
stop light nor an overpass. It has been like this for a over 10 years. As you
approach the intersection picture the detour as getting you straight across
US31. The detour signs are pretty clear, but IMO, it is still easy to get
confused. The normal signs, of course, are still there. Some of the signs have
yellow detour signs others are white. The detour will take you South a little
way on US31 then off (to the right) to go NE (to the left) IN25. Picking up
IN14 East shortly. Here you will pass several gas stations, fast food joints, a
Mexican restaurant, grocery stores, and a wallyworld, before continuing on
IN14, through town, and on East.

(Rochester is about 120 miles east of Lima)

Happy riding.

Tom Anspach Winamac, IN

Back