• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

7 hours, 250 miles and one tank of gas laterPart 1..

R

rocketman

Yeah, so it wasn't on a BMW, sue me already...

IÔÇÖve now had the IT for 32 days and it is 46 miles shy of turning 2000 miles, not to shoddy considering most of those miles have been just on weekend day rides! Still getting around 53-54 miles to the gallon and I'm Not taking it easy on the motor anymore, mostly stayed in 4th around or above 5K....she sounds really nice in that range, develops a nice throaty rumble right around there

Rode out toward Berkeley Springs, Martinsburg and points west and east. Every time I headed north, it would threaten rain, if I turned west it just stayed cloudy if I turned south or east the sun would shine, obviously I was the victim of a weather conspiracy

Found some nice small roads in the VA WV area... 710 off of 55, then some small roads north from 50 that took me to Purcellville and then west on 7 to Round Hill and then took 340 north to 611 and on to Country route 13 to 51 west just shy of Charles Town. That took me to Inwood where I picked up Rt. 11 and headed south and found my way to Rt. 37 which dumped me back on 11 south of Winchester and then back to 55. Traveled down a number of other smaller roads that either just ended or turned to gravel and then ended or became a bit rougher than what I wanted to take the IT on. Set up the Olympus for multiple shooting with bracketing set at an EV +-1 in sets of 3 for 1 over and 1 under using aperture to try some shots to process using the Photomatrix HDR software. From what I read on this they seem to recommend using 5 or more shots (i.e. 2 over and 2 under) but since I was shooting both RAW and jpeg fine I stuck with just three. Some came out pretty nice, but some of the wildflower shots were tough due to movement and subsequent ghosting of the overlying images from them swaying in the light breezes blowing, close-ups esp. were affected by this even though the breezes where fairly light. I also think I got a little carried away with the color saturation a few times during processing too!

One thing I have found with shooting and riding is that stopping to take photos is pretty time consuming, esp. when you spend any time trying to find just the right angle to shoot from, composing and changing the settings on the camera. Plus there are so many potential shoots that I see as I pass that donÔÇÖt provide a safe place to park. This is especially true when traveling the back roads with no shoulder or that you have to backtrack to because they come on you so fast there isnÔÇÖt time to pull over as you pass. So most often I try to find a single location that offers a number of possibilities which means even more time taken from putting on more miles.

So here now are the pick of the litter out of some 45-50 scenes/locations, some better than others..

mayride-01.jpg

mayride-02.jpg

mayride-03.jpg

This tree cam out nice great range of tones and the sky isnÔÇÖt washed out yet the detail in the fence is not totally dark
mayride-04.jpg

I played around with trying to change the perspective/horizon line by shooting with the camera tilted to align with some feature of the scene so that it when viewed the image would be tilted. Occasionally it can produce some interesting results (at least I like the results!) as in these next two, using the two different methods for HDR in photomatrix

mayride-05.jpg

mayride-06.jpg

mayride-07.jpg

mayride-08.jpg

mayride-08-detail.jpg

mayride-09.jpg

mayride-10.jpg

Most the next set was taken around this old abandoned house I saw along Rt. 55.
Looked like it would have been a pretty cool house at one time.

mayride-11.jpg

mayride-12.jpg

mayride-13.jpg

mayride-14.jpg

mayride-15.jpg

mayride-15-detail.jpg

mayride-16.jpg

RM

7 hours 250 miles and one tank of gas later... Part 2

mayride-17.jpg

mayride-18.jpg

mayride-19.jpg

mayride-20.jpg

RM

I was just down that way with a group of 8 2 weeks ago, stayed at Yokum's at Seneca Rocks. It was windy and a bit chilly for tent camping but we had a great time. Love the roads and views, will be back soon!

Back