• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Outfitting for sound

I just got an R1200RT and want to add a few items to it to make for a better ride. I do want to keep the installation rather clean and professional looking.
What I want, and in priority order, is music (iPod & XM), GPS, and maybe a radar detector since I have an extra one just sitting around. And maybe... in the future... I may want bike to bike communication. This bike to bike is a maybe only since I like the quiet time on a bike and do a lot of riding alone. Also I never do two up riding so that is not a consideration for the system.

Currently I an using ear bud speakers with an old iPod in a tankbag. I added an iJet remote so I can control the volume and tracks up and down. Today I ordered the Zumo 660 so now I need a way to connect two or more devices to a small amp. On my old non BMW bike I had an AmpliRider that I used for many years without problems. Cost of the unit is only $65 but I am considering the Mix-it2 for about $159. I still have my old XM radio but am thinking of buying the new portable unit. Anybody have any info on it?

I am thinking of mounting everything in a tankbag except for the GPS. I want that to be more a part of the basic motorcycle. Want to mount it between the handlebars just in front of the key. RAM mount perhaps?

Any ideas or pictures of systems will be greatly appreciated. Advise on the Mix-It2, portable XM player, small tankbag for the electronics, GPS mounting advise, etc. is what I am asking. Don't want to do this more than once or buy the wrong stuff.

Thanks in advance,
tsp
2010 R1200RT

Earbuds are illegal in many states, but in-helmet speakers are legal in most. When I had my RT, I installed a Baehr system, which would provide intercom with my passenger, iPod integration, sound from my GPS (BMW Navigator II at the time, and later a Zumo), and could have provided cell phone integration, had I desired that. Starcom and Autocom do the same thing, for slightly less money. The newer Bluetooth devices are touted by many.......you, of course, have to keep the batteries charged. The one I had the worst luck with was Chatterbox.....but others liked it. YMMV.

Did you consider the Zumo 665 or a lower model that is XM ready? One of these will replace the Ipod, your seperate XM radio and let you use your cell via blue tooth. Since you like ear buds (me too) a set of blue tooth ear buds would be nice. If you keep the 660 at least load you MP3's on it and eliminate the Ipod (the 660 holds 1000 songs in case you didn't know)

If you are looking for a nice carry all mount check out the BMR products http://www.bmrproducts.com/index.php. Their Co-pilot shelf is nice. It may be a bit overkill for just a 2730 and a GXM 30 (that's what I have) but if you want to carry more it'll do the job.

I created my own shelf. It is a like the BMR but mounts like the Migsel GPS mount for the RT. http://www.migsel.com/store/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=13

If you want to see pictures of mine let me know and I'll add them but it'll be a few days. The RAM parts haven't arrived yet.

When the GPS came out with XM I thought it was the best thing since sliced bread but I changed my mind for one reason. I use the XM in my house (and even outside the house in a gazebo) way too much. I would hate to have the GPS on all the time in order to use the XM when I am at home.

I do plan to use the MP3 feature of the 660 though.

Thanks for the advise.

tsp

Did you consider the Zumo 665 or a lower model that is XM ready? One of these will replace the Ipod, your seperate XM radio and let you use your cell via blue tooth. Since you like ear buds (me too) a set of blue tooth ear buds would be nice. If you keep the 660 at least load you MP3's on it and eliminate the Ipod (the 660 holds 1000 songs in case you didn't know)

<snip>

I love my Zumo. I have it and a radar detector run thru an Autocom. I also have the Motorola TK3101 radio for bike to bike, but I'm usually riding solo so I may sell it. For me the Autocom with VOX and the background noise sensor works great. It will mute your music when the radar goes off or when someone speaks to you. I wear earplugs and the Autocom in-helmet speakers provide plenty of volume--Speed up the volume gets louder, slow down the volume gets lower. The Zumo functions nicely as an MP3 player as well. Load all your tunes on an SD flash card. I've not yet added the Garmin XM component.

I just got one of the RAM waterproof boxes (large) and then went and got a TomTom XXL 540s for $170 that has a 5 inch screen and all the features I wanted without having to pay the big extra bux for a waterproof unit. the cost of the Ram box more than off set the cost for a "Motorcycle" GPS and it gave me the option of buying the GPS by feature only, non waterproof ones are tons cheaper for screen size, etc. I can work the touch screen thru the clear plastic lens of the Ram box just fine. the only thing will be if the plastic "screen" of the Ram box yellows over time. We shall see...

RM

Last edited:
Back